Community Message Boards

Thread: Want to use up heavy whipping cream

Want to use up heavy whipping cream

Does anyone have any ideas to use up heavy whipping cream? I have a big carton of it from Costco and only used a little of it for another dish. I don't have an ice cream maker, so that's kind of out. I'm looking for something that is vegetarian and can be frozen. Desserts are fine, too.

I'm thinking I might use some of it to make mini quiches. I do have a question with that, though. If I freeze the quiches, do I bake all the way through? How would I reheat the already baked quiches when they are frozen?

Thanks!

Here is one recipe I liked, although I don't think it is freezable.

Pasta with Citrus Cream Sauce

MAKES 2 SERVINGS

1 cup whipping cream
    2 tablespoons Cognac or dry sherry
    Zest of 1 lemon (colored part of peel only)
    Zest of 1 large navel orange (colored part of peel only)
    1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
    2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped (about 3 sprigs)
    12 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
    1/2 pound linguini, or 3/4 pound fresh linguini, cooked al dente
    1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

In a skillet over medium-low heat, warm cream. Add Cognac or dry sherry, zest of lemon and orange, salt. Simmer, 7 to 10 minutes. Add mint and basil.

Toss hot, drained pasta with sauce and grated cheese. Transfer to serving dish or dinner plates.

Rachael Ray: 30-Minute Meals 2

You can also freeze heavy cream. A good way is to freeze it in ice cube trays and then into a zip top bag or other suitable container. Then you can take out only what you need. Note that you won't be able to make whipped cream once it is frozen and thawed, but it can be used in sauces, etc. Also, it might separate when thawing out, but it can be beaten just enough to recombine.

Note that the link is from 2005, but I think that info hasn't changed.

If you decide to go the route of quiche, you can freeze all the ingredients in a ziplock bag, let thaw in the fridge and then pour into a crust and bake. I know Cindyweightwatcher has posted a recipe to do this previously.

If you're up for a splurge, how about fettucine alfredo? Yum!

Here's an Emeril recipe.

Emeril's Fettucine Alfredo

This has been posted several times and is SOO good. I just made a double batch last week. It freezes well. Make some Basil Beer Bread to go along with it .

-Heather

Roasted Tomato Soup

Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

2 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes (mix of fresh heirlooms, cherry, vine and plum tomatoes)
    6 cloves garlic, peeled
    2 small yellow onions, sliced
    Vine cherry tomatoes for garnish, optional
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 quart chicken stock
    2 bay leaves
    4 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, optional
    3/4 cup heavy cream, optional

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Wash, core and cut the tomatoes into halves. Spread the tomatoes, garlic cloves and onions onto a baking tray. If using vine cherry tomatoes for garnish, add them as well, leaving them whole and on the vine. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, or until caramelized.

Remove roasted tomatoes, garlic and onion from the oven and transfer to a large stock pot (set aside the roasted vine tomatoes for later). Add 3/4 of the chicken stock, bay leaves, and butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid has reduced by a third.

Wash and dry basil leaves, if using, and add to the pot. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Return soup to low heat, add cream and adjust consistency with remaining chicken stock, if necessary. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish in bowl with 3 or 4 roasted vine cherry tomatoes and a splash of heavy cream.
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

Pasta with Italian Sausage and Cream is fabulous and easy!

Cream of Mushroom soup is a delicious vegetarian option and freezes well. Or what about taking advantage of the last of asparagus season and making/freezing cream of asparagus soup? A creamy tomato sauce for pasta?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Oops! I obviously missed the part of the original post that said you were looking for a vegeterian dish. Sorry!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I should have said that DH doesn't really care for soup, but that tomato one looks really good.

White Chocolate Toasted Almond Semifreddo

This is highly recommended as great summer dessert (or anytime!). Made ahead, you always have something wonderful should unexpected company arrive.

Source: Gourmet | April 1994

scant cup sliced almonds (3 1/2 ounces), toasted lightly I omit salt below + add salted, chopped, toasted macadamias- WONDERFUL!
    1/4 tsp salt (omit if using salted macadamias)
    1 Tbs unsalted butter
    6 oz fine-quality white chocolate, chopped (Callebaut was best)
    2 large eggs
    large pinch salt
    1/3 cup sugar (2 oz light agave was perfect sweetness for us)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp almond extract
    1- 1/2 cups chilled heavy cream

1 Line a metal loaf pan, 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches, with plastic wrap, leaving a 2-inch overhang on ends, and chill in freezer.
    2 In a skillet cook almonds with salt in butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until almonds are coated well, about 1 minute. Chill almonds until cold.
    3 In a metal bowl set over a pan of hot but not simmering water melt chocolate, stirring occasionally, and remove bowl from heat. (Save a step, add chopped chocolate to warm egg mixture in step 4 - melts fine).
    4 In another metal bowl beat eggs with sugar to combine. Set bowl over a pan of simmering water and beat until thick and pale and mixture registers 140°F. on an instant-read thermometer. Continue beating over simmering water 3 minutes (for egg safely) and remove from heat. Beat in chocolate, vanilla, and almond extract. (Press through sieve to remove egg bits. When cool, whip until light before folding in whipped cream. Makes a difference in lightness and creaminess)
    5 In another bowl beat cream until it just holds stiff peaks and fold into egg mixture gently but thoroughly. Fold in almonds and pour mixture into prepared pan. Cover pan with plastic wrap and freeze semifreddo 8 hours or overnight.
    6 Unmold semifreddo onto a platter, discarding plastic wrap, and cut into thick slices. Cut slices crosswise into thirds and serve with Lemon Rhubarb Cake Roll.

I have served with Mango Sauce (using macadamias) and Raspberry Sauce (using almonds per recipe suggestion)

Servings: 6
    Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

You could whip it up and top it berries for dessert.

I use cream in my coffee, so would gladly keep it around.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Wow, cchhbb, thanks for remembering that I posted a quiche recipe.
    The thread was entitled "quiche formula" and was started on May 17, 2004.
    I don't know how to repost the link here so if anyone is interested it can searched with the key words "quiche formula".