Community Message Boards

Thread: Have what seems like hundreds super tiny, winged, flying annoying bugs....

Have what seems like hundreds super tiny, winged, flying annoying bugs....

Is there anything I can do about what seems like a gazillion tiny, tiny bugs flying around my apartment. Gnats? As I type this, a couple are flying around my laptop.

I think this happens every early summer.

They are all over. The lightbulb on a lamp is practically covered in them.

Yes, the thought of all of them is making me itch.... yes, I was swatting some when I was eating dinner.

I just took a wet paper towel and killed what must have been hundreds (ok I didn't count, and slight exaggeration)..... from the ceiling, and then around my lamp (must be attracted to light), on my windowsill. etc, etc.

I live in a high rise in the city. On my floor in my blgg (where the elevator is) there are very large windows ---- they are there too near the light fixture, near the one small window etc.

Anything I can do? Maybe they are coming thru the window screens? I just closed my living room windows and I can see them on my screen (can't tell if they are inside/outside).

The AC in my bldg is not on yet so its getting real warm.

I think my landlord called them once something like "can't see you bugs" or something tlike that. Well I can see them!!!

Do I win an award for writing a super long post about tiny, winged bugs?

Thanks,

Google "no see ums " and perhaps these are the critters.

Can you post a photo?

Maybe springtails? Fruit flies?

No-see-ums (what IS the real name for those things, anyway?) were biting, I thought. Like ultra-teensy mosquitoes. If you're not getting bitten, maybe you've got something else.

Ants are swarming this time of year too. Yes, ants. Just ask my bug guy about the invasion that flooded thru the cracks around my master-bedroom window this week. They have scouts with wings, too, but not all the ants had wings. (Yes, they're gone now--ick. I was vaccuming them up for two afternoons b4 the bug guy came; they got active when the sun heated up that wall & window.)

My sympathies. I hate bugs.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    Anything I can do? Maybe they are coming thru the window screens? I just closed my living room windows and I can see them on my screen (can't tell if they are inside/outside).
    Keep those windows closed. Screens are only designed to keep large insects and other critters out. They don't have a seal around the frame.

Thanks everyone. I closed the windows in my living room but its getting real warm in here. The AC isn't on yet because of some totally ridiculous city regulation about having to provide heat.

I will google no-see-ums. That's the word I was thinking of. I don't have a camera otherwise I would post a pic.

I can't tell if they are bitng, but I have been swatting things (half the time I wasn't sure if something was there).

I think I complain about this every year but yesterday they were everywhere. It's not fruit flies or something that's just in my own apt ----- since its the same bugs that are swarming the light fixture on my apt floor(s). Although I live in a high rise in the city, there are TONS of trees on my street, Not sure if that contributes.

I will speak to my bldg mgr on Tuesday --- if everyone has as many as I do, I would imagine he would have TONS of people complaining/looking for answers. If he doesn't, than we have to figure out why. I wonder if I have more of a space in my screens that lets them in easier. But as you said Gumbeaux, those screen holes are too big to keep these out.

ETA ------ Just did some surfing and I wonder it they are no-see-ums. But the thing that throws me is that they say its in sandy areas (often in FL). And, that's certainly not my area. Interesting, last week I went to the doc since I had these red blotches above my ankle. He said it was from something like poison ivy, that I brushed into a plant while walking. But I just read... "Sandfly bites (also called no-see-ums)may leave large, red itchy bumps that may turn into a rash." Hmmm.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 05-23-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Hi applecrisp,
    Here is a pic of no-see-ums I found on the 'net. They are also known as biting midges, sand flies or punkies.
    Do they look something like this? (Hope the pic works)

It seems that usual mosquito repellant products will keep them off of you.

Hammster --- I'm not sure, they seem to be all one color, maybe call it gray, and kind of translucent. Certainly no red in them. They have tiny wings. They are so small that its hard to tell. You would think I would be able to describe it better since I have a good 30 on my window screen.

Thanks.

Yeah, my thought was that they're midges. The local paper had an article about them. The warm weather is bringing them out, and they are in swarms because they are reproducing in mid-air. (Don't ask me the logistics)

When looking up no see ums/midges etc..... it said they often are found near water. Well I live across the street from water.

Not to gross anyone out..... this looks like what I had on my leg that my doc said was something like poison ivy. But according to the web its looks like it coud be a sandfly/no see um bite. I applied some cortisone type cream and it went away in a day.

I am going to ask my neighbors to see if they have a problem too.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    Hammster --- I'm not sure, they seem to be all one color, maybe call it gray, and kind of translucent. Certainly no red in them. They have tiny wings. They are so small that its hard to tell. You would think I would be able to describe it better since I have a good 30 on my window screen.

Thanks.
    You're welcome. I think the red is blood once they have started to feed. Sorry for the visual.

I got a swarm of midges in our house in IN once - hundreds of the buggers! They all swarmed up to the ceiling so I got out my vacuum and sucked the little varmints right up.

I don't recall them biting - I don't think all of them do.

Very annoying! I learned to leave the light off near our patio door since it seemed to be the light that attracted them. Or we just didn't go out that door if they were swarming.

I think I have these same bugs. They are very small and I can barely tell that they have wings. They have a curled darker end from what I can tell... I can't tell if it is a stinger or its head. The rest of the body is very light colored, possibly gray. The bites its been giving me, everyone says is bed bug bites, but I only get them when I sit at my desk. I'm not sure if multiple ones bite me at once or if I'm having an allergic reaction. Usually I'll get several bites in the same area that swell and get red. Calamine lotion isn't helping with the pain itching and it looks like the marks are spreading even when I'm not at home now. They aren't affecting anyone else in the house, so I think they are contained in my corner because its next to the lamp and the lizards cage where there is a lot of light. I have caught two and I am taking one of them to the apartment manager to give to the bug man because he keeps saying its bedbugs. If I get more information, I'll post, but I'm not going to hold my breath because they were supposed to treat for bed bugs five months ago and still haven't showed. Any advice anyone can give would be appreciated. I can't really move any of my furniture around, so I'd like to know how to kill them and keep them from coming back. I'm borderline anemic and I've already been told by a doctor that if these bugs continue to bite me like this, it could cause serious complications.