Community Message Boards
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Pizza Temp and Time

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    1,206

    Pizza Temp and Time

    Just curious, when you are making pizza, what is the oven temperature you use and how long, on average, do you bake the pizza? Also, if you are using a pre-heated pizza stone, do you ever pre-bake the crust? If so when?

    I've seen a lot of variation in temps and cooking times. We've been using the Eating Well WW Pizza Crust. One time it was perfectly crisp and last night it was more chewy. We cooked the pizzas at 450 degrees and around 10 minutes. Actually, the last time I didn't write down how long, so that's just a guess.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Bonnie

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dadeville, AL
    Posts
    12,709
    I preheat my pizza stone for at least 30 minutes at 425, and bake the pizza (not prebaked) at the same temperature for 15 minutes. We like a fairly thick crust -- though it's thinly spread when I put it in the oven! The pizza stone guarantees no soggy crust! (At least, my crust recipe doesn't get soggy.)

    HTH
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    1,871
    We bake JUST the crust at 420 for 15 minutes. Filp it over and add the toppings (I'm TOTALLY a purist when it comes to pizza, usually just cheese and sauce) and bake for another 10minutes. Mmmm, it's what we are having tonight!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Medford, MA
    Posts
    2,280
    I crank it up to 475 or 500 (as high as mine goes). I preheat the stone for up to 30 minutes if I think of it, but I don't always remember to do that. The pizza bakes in less than 10 minutes, usually. I don't prebake the crust, and I do tend to make it fairly thin. Hm, I should make a pizza this weekend....

  5. #5
    Like Veschke, i preheat my oven and baking stone pretty hot--around 500-525degrees. this is kind of interesting:

    http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/SaraElzeftawy.shtml

    I like the crisp thin crusts--that make noise when you bite into a piece--high heat seems to do the trick.

    BTW-when i grill pizza...i toss a crust on grill to grill one side..flip it over and put the toppings on the grilled side while the underside gets grilled. Now that i think of it,,,,grilling works the best for me---partly because the toppings aren't put on raw dough.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    24,224
    My pizza stone lives on the bottom rack so it's always preheated. The oven temp is 425º whether I'm using the stone or a pan (we have a tendency towards deep dish around here.

    If it's deep dish the crust is par-baked for 12 minutes. After the toppings are added it's baked again for another 15-18 depending on the toppings.

    Baked on the stone, it's par-baked for 10 minutes, topped and finished for 15.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by veschke View Post
    I crank it up to 475 or 500 (as high as mine goes). I preheat the stone for up to 30 minutes if I think of it, but I don't always remember to do that. The pizza bakes in less than 10 minutes, usually. I don't prebake the crust, and I do tend to make it fairly thin. Hm, I should make a pizza this weekend....
    Me too. Preheat stone on bottom rack at 500 deg. for atleast 30 minutes. Bake with toppings on for about 9 minutes.

    I've been using the crust recipe in Katie Lee Joel's cookbook but I do it in the bread machine set on dough. When it's done, I form it into a ball and put it in a bowl smeared w/olive oil (I roll the ball around in the bowl to oil it up) and cover w/saran wrap. Let it rise about 45 min. I don't think I need to do this second rise but that's the way I've been doing it and it has been working great. I cut the dough into 2 pieces and make 2 pizzas.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    1,206
    I always preheat my pizza stone for at least 30 minutes, so that can't be the problem. Sounds like I haven't been baking long enough or that maybe I should bump the temp up to 500 degrees.

    Thanks!

    Bonnie

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    24,224
    Quote Originally Posted by bbenedict View Post
    I always preheat my pizza stone for at least 30 minutes, so that can't be the problem. Sounds like I haven't been baking long enough or that maybe I should bump the temp up to 500 degrees.

    Thanks!

    Bonnie
    It also has to do with where in the oven you bake. I use the bottom rack for breads. For some reason 500º would make me very nervous.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    It also has to do with where in the oven you bake. I use the bottom rack for breads. For some reason 500º would make me very nervous.
    I've been baking them with the stone on the bottom rack. How 'bout you? I'm not really comfortable with 500 degrees either.

    Bonnie

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    24,224
    Quote Originally Posted by bbenedict View Post
    I've been baking them with the stone on the bottom rack. How 'bout you? I'm not really comfortable with 500 degrees either.

    Bonnie

    I'm bottom rack as well but I do par-bake and 425º works like a charm for me!

    When's the last time you used an oven thermometer to test your oven?
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Corona, CA
    Posts
    1,861
    I think it really must depend on the thickness of the crust.

    I pre-heat the stone in the oven at least 30 minutes. at 425degrees. I take it out and put the crust on the stone. and then top with sauce and toppings. and put it all back in the oven. I think it takes roughly 10 minutes.

    My crust is nice and crispy.
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by bbenedict View Post
    I've been baking them with the stone on the bottom rack. How 'bout you? I'm not really comfortable with 500 degrees either.
    Bonnie
    I'm curious to know why you guys are nervous to bake your pizzas at 500 deg? Are you afraid your pizza will burn? Scared the pizza stone will break? Just curious.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by armel View Post
    I pre-heat the stone in the oven at least 30 minutes. at 425degrees. I take it out and put the crust on the stone. and then top with sauce and toppings. and put it all back in the oven.
    This is what would make me nervous! My stone is very heavy and large. Why do you take the hot stone out of the oven? Why not just slide your pizza onto the stone while it's still in the oven?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post

    When's the last time you used an oven thermometer to test your oven?
    Maybe that's something I should do. I saw something on either America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Illustrated website that gave a way to test your oven temp with water in a pyrex measuring cup. Maybe I'll try that today.

    Actually, the crust last time was fine. This time it wasn't. I let it sit a few minutes before cutting to let the cheese set up a bit.

    I had some roasted peppers on it. Maybe they were too moist. However, I brushed the crust with olive oil first.

    Hmmm....

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda in MO View Post
    This is what would make me nervous! My stone is very heavy and large. Why do you take the hot stone out of the oven? Why not just slide your pizza onto the stone while it's still in the oven?
    Worried about burning...but then I've never tried it. I slide mine onto the stone while it is still in the oven. No way would I take it out while it was hot.

    Bonnie

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by bbenedict View Post
    Actually, the crust last time was fine. This time it wasn't. I let it sit a few minutes before cutting to let the cheese set up a bit.
    This might have been your problem. I notice my pizza will lose some of it's crispness (is that a word?) if I place it on a flat surface and wait too long to cut it. I try to cut it right away and slide it onto a cooling rack, so air can get to the bottom of it and the heat isn't trapped underneath and causing moisture.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Medford, MA
    Posts
    2,280
    I started using the higher temp after reading Cooking for Mr Latte--at one point she's talking to Jeffrey Steingarten about pizza oven temps and she was thinking something like 700 degrees! Now that's hot. If I could make pizza like Bertucci's I'd probably never eat anything else....

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    24,224
    Quote Originally Posted by veschke View Post
    --at one point she's talking to Jeffrey Steingarten about pizza oven temps and she was thinking something like 700 degrees! Now that's hot.

    The pizza oven at the restaurant went to 700º but that's necessary as you're constantly opening the thing and other models are open all the time. I doubt it ever really reaches 700º.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dadeville, AL
    Posts
    12,709
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    It also has to do with where in the oven you bake. I use the bottom rack for breads. For some reason 500º would make me very nervous.
    I use the middle rack to preheat and bake the pizza. 500* would make me nervous, too -- my opinion is that everything would be too done... but that's JMO.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Corona, CA
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda in MO View Post
    This is what would make me nervous! My stone is very heavy and large. Why do you take the hot stone out of the oven? Why not just slide your pizza onto the stone while it's still in the oven?
    It works really well for me to take it out of the oven. I roll my dough pretty thin and so i put it on the stone first and then put my sauce and toppings on.

    I take my stone out of the oven after use. and cut the pizza on it. I also don't store my stone in the oven. So for me, it is no big deal to be taking it in and out all the time.

    I have a pampered chef stone. It is perfect for my uses. Maybe yours is heavier or larger which for me would just be a pain and mean I wouldn't ever use it.
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    1,364
    Quote Originally Posted by spudugan View Post
    Like Veschke, i preheat my oven and baking stone pretty hot--around 500-525degrees.
    Count me in on this one. I build my pizza on semolina-sprinkled parchment and use a flat cookie sheet as a peel. I pull the parchment out from under the pizza after just a minute or two so the majority of the baking is direct contact with the stone.

    I do NY style pizza. No pre-baking required (just a few days of dough cold fermentation, though).

    Michelle

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda in MO View Post
    This might have been your problem. I notice my pizza will lose some of it's crispness (is that a word?) if I place it on a flat surface and wait too long to cut it. I try to cut it right away and slide it onto a cooling rack, so air can get to the bottom of it and the heat isn't trapped underneath and causing moisture.
    A ha! I did leave it on the peel to cool a bit. That makes perfect sense. You know, though, I think the last time I made it, although I didn't wait to cut it, we went back for pieces that were still on the peel and it was still crisp. Still, the cooling rack is a good idea. Thanks!

    bonnie

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dadeville, AL
    Posts
    12,709
    OK -- I'm hungry, and we're having pizza tonight! I'm going to try preheating a little hotter, and see what happens.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •