Community Message Boards

Thread: Does Kool-Aid really expire?

Does Kool-Aid really expire?

I have about 20 packs dated 2007 and 2008. It's the kind you add sugar to, and the packets have been stored in the pantry and look and sound fresh. I know I can make it and drink it to see if we live but I was curious. Is this one of those items that really doesn't need an expiry date, but is there just for those who want it? Citric acid is the first ingredient lsited. Oh, wow, I just saw that it's made in Mexico too. So much for Kool-Aid being American.

I think that the worst that could possibly happen is that the flavor is somewhat diminished but I can't imagine there's anything in those packets that would "go bad". I'd use them - you can at least try one and see how it tastes.

About three years ago a local grocery had a sale on KoolAid packets, 10 for a dollar. I bought 300 packets in less than a week. I still have them in a clear box in my pantry and I dip into them all summer. Just made my first pitcher of Black Cherry last night and it was perfect!

So I'd say that Red Dye #5 has one heck of a shelf life!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on using it, but was really just wondering if it really needed that expiry date.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe Latte View Post
    Oh, wow, I just saw that it's made in Mexico too. So much for Kool-Aid being American.
    LOL, that is pretty funny!
    I think over time the texture of the powder might change or get clumpy (depending on anti-caking agents used) but otherwise I think the expiry date is more to cover their tails than anything else.

Bottled water has a date stamped on it. That sounds funny but the date is used to identify particular lots of the product in case there is a product recall due to contamination or other problems.