Community Message Boards

Thread: what to do with marinated artichokes....

what to do with marinated artichokes....

I bought a costco size jar of marinated a.hearts and didn't like the recipe I bought them for, a tomato pasta sauce from Sheila Lukins(newspaper)...... so what can I do with them? I don't like them enough to eat them plain. I think they keep well, but ??? There must be a million uses for them but I', at loss for ideas. Help!
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

I really liked these sandwiches. I cut the recipe in half and made this on a petite baguette from a local bakery. You really could make it the night before. I couldn't find olivada so just bought some green olives from the olive bar, minced them, and added a bit of their marinating liquid. Yum!

Artichoke, Fresh Mozzarella, and Salami Sandwiches
    Bon Appétit | August 2003
    Round out the picnic with a green bean salad, peaches, and biscotti.
    Yield: Makes 4

2 6-ounce jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    4 5-inch-diameter or 6-inch-long Italian rolls, split in half lengthwise
    12 ounces fresh water-packed mozzarella, drained, sliced
    6 ounces salami, thinly sliced
    8 tablespoons green olivada

Mix first 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide artichoke mixture among bottom halves of rolls. Top with cheese, then salami. Spread top half of each roll with 2 tablespoons olivada. Place atop salami. Press sandwiches lightly to compact and wrap each tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate sandwiches at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.

Epicurious.com © Condé Nast Digital, Inc. All rights reserved.

I love this, and I don't even really like tuna! It calls for regular canned articharky hearts, but I've used marinated plenty of times.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=222133

Altuna Melt

2 servings (serving size: 2 muffin halves)

* 1/2 cup drained canned artichoke hearts, finely chopped
    * 1/4 cup sliced green onions
    * 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    * 1 teaspoon olive oil
    * 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    * 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    * 1 (6-ounce) can albacore tuna in water, lightly drained and flaked
    * 2 English muffins, split and toasted
    * 6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) grated provolone cheese

Preheat broiler.

Combine first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl. Divide evenly among muffin halves; sprinkle with cheese. Place on a baking sheet; broil 5 inches from heat for 4 minutes or until golden brown.

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 1999
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

My DH bought that same jar of artichokes. He used them in an alfredo type pasta dish, which turned out well. I used them for spinach & artichoke dip.

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
    My DH bought that same jar of artichokes. He used them in an alfredo type pasta dish, which turned out well. I used them for spinach & artichoke dip.

Oooo... it's a big jar isn't it! I never thought of using it as part of a sandwich.....

I don't eat salami, tuna or mayonnaise but I could add it to a grilled vegie/cheese type sandwich. The recipe I used them in called for some of the jar marinade. made the sauce too sour. I may try in a tomato/alfredo sauce. I didn't realize how they could dominate a sauce so easily. I certainly have enough to try any and all suggestions.

This is a family favorite.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Angelo

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 chicken breast
    1/2 cup flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    Dash pepper
    3 Tablespoons butter
    1/2 pound mushrooms
    3 Tablespoons lemon juice
    3 Tablespoons sherry
    2 jars (6.5 oz) marinated artichoke hearts

Cut chicken into small pieces.
    Mix dry ingredients and shake in chicken.
    Brown chicken in butter in frying pan about 10 minutes.
    Remove with slotted spoon to casserole.
    Add more butter or oil if necessaary to pan and add sliced mushrooms.
    Cook until almost tender.
    Add sherry, lemon juice and cook 5 minutes.
    Add artichoke hearts to chicken neatly.
    Pour mushrooms and liquids over chicken in casserole.
    Cover and put in 350 oven 30 to 45 minutes.
    Serve with seasoned rice.

We put them on tossed salads all the time. They do last a really long time, too.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Thanks, MadPots, that recipe looks good! Actually, ALL the recipes look good! Thanks for posting!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Here is my most recent discovery that we loved. I used canned artichoke hearts cut in half to drain. I'm sure well drained marinated artichokes would make this dish even better. I doubled the amount of sun-dried tomatoes.

Chicken and Artichokes
    From Eating Well - posted by margeslp

1/2 cup flour, for dredging
    1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 whole chicken breasts, split in half to equal 4 pieces, all skin, fat, and bones removed
    1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 cup fresh, frozen, or canned cooked artichoke hearts or bottoms
    1/4 cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    Parsley, for garnish

Place the flour in a shallow bowl. Heat the oil in a nonstick pan. When the oil is hot, dredge the chicken in the flour, tap off the excess, and sauté until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Pour off the oil and add the garlic to the pan with the chicken, stir to combine. Add the parsley and salt, artichokes, and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir to combine.

Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, turning the chicken 2 to 3 times until cooked through.

Place the chicken on plates, arrange the artichokes and tomatoes around the chicken, and pour the sauce over all. Garnish with parsley.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

thank you, everyone. I think we'll be making short work of the artichokes. I'm starting with a tomato/alfredo sauce plus artichokes tonight to get started.

It's funny, I've found so many of my favorite dishes on a quest to "use up" some orphan ingredient in the cabinet or frig.