Community Message Boards

Thread: Anyone eating Chia seeds?

Anyone eating Chia seeds?

I was just reading about them and the delicious-sounding recipes using them in the current issue of Clean Eating. Just curious who out there is a fan and how YOU use them.
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

I have been buying them for a while (couple years or more? since I first found them in a bulk food store - quite dear at $20/lb I think) and I have used them mostly in granola but have used them in/on crackers and bread, and have drunk some - that's an interesting way to use them - just add an tsp or so to a glass of water, stir and let rest (or put in fridge) for a while to rehydrate (they get kinda jelly-like, sorta like tapioca?) and drink. Not everyone's cuppa tea I'd guess, but interesting.
    I don't have any recipes that call for them so I'll see if I can find something from Clean Eating - got any recipe titles Lynne? There's nothing on their website that I can see.
    Cheers! Andy

I bought some to try, but at the price they are going, don't intend to keep buying them.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Andy, I didn't find them on their site, either. I'll see if I can scan some of the pages and post for you. The two recipes are Orange Chia Dream Pops and Chia Fizz. I want to see if I can find them at Whole Foods - have you looked there?
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

I bought some of these from nutsonline.com for $6.99/lb. At the store they were $17.99 a lb.

I searched the board looking for more ideas for these. So far I've used them in yogurt, oatmeal, granola and smoothies.

Anyone have any new and exciting ideas?
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

We have a smoothie for breakfast every day, with both chia and hemp seeds. I order them in bulk from Amazon. I believe I'm paying $8 a pound with free shipping.

Basically, we do almond milk, yogurt, stevia, whatever frozen fruits (we especially like banana/cherry/blueberry or banana/pineapple/strawberry), then chia and hemp. It's amazing how long we feel full.

I haven't cooked with them at all yet. I will be looking to see what uses everyone here has.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

I eat them too! And love them! I order mine from amazon too but someone posted a good website for them (and lots of other stuff!): http://www.vitacost.com/
    Haven't order from them yet but am planning to when my bag is almost empty.
    I also add to smoothies, but one of my favorite thing is add them to oats, they make it even more creamy! (they are good on both cooked oatmeal and in overnight oats too).
    I also like to do the chia gel by mixing with water and letting it sit until it gels. You can make a lot of this and keep in the fridge but I always make a little and eat right away. Me and my son (8 yo) like to mix a bit of milk, cocoa powder and either sugar or stevia and we call it "chocolate chia pudding"! It is so yummy! Super simple and full of nutrition!
    You can even use the chia gel to sub egg in baked goods like you do with flax + water. I haven't used it this way yet though.
    I will think of more ideas and will come back! Our favorite way really is the chia pudding, it sounds weird but it is so good!
    Ana

I'm so glad you started this thread!! I read about chia in the book Born to Run (about ultrarunners in Mexico....all of the Mexicans eat chia seed paste during runs. I thought it sounded interesting). And we just found it in our store, but I wanted to research a bit more first so I'd know what to do with it.

At our store, it's sold as 'chia flour', which is basically ground up chia seeds. Is this how you guys buy them? or do you buy whole seeds & grind them yourself? or do you leave them whole?

When it makes the gel or paste, do you just eat it with a spoon? just like pudding? (the Mexicans eat it with their fingers, which sounds incredibly messy)

TIA!

I have some. I paid too much, and probably won't rebuy. I usually regret all my trendy superfood purchases, like this and acai berry. Lots of everyday foods are full of antioxidants and healthy properties. I think coffee is one of the most antioxidant-rich things we know of.

I've just drank them in water and added them to smoothies. The seeds are fully digestible so you don't need to grind them before eating. Like all seeds they're pretty high in calories.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    I'm so glad you started this thread!! I read about chia in the book Born to Run (about ultrarunners in Mexico....all of the Mexicans eat chia seed paste during runs. I thought it sounded interesting). And we just found it in our store, but I wanted to research a bit more first so I'd know what to do with it.

At our store, it's sold as 'chia flour', which is basically ground up chia seeds. Is this how you guys buy them? or do you buy whole seeds & grind them yourself? or do you leave them whole?

When it makes the gel or paste, do you just eat it with a spoon? just like pudding? (the Mexicans eat it with their fingers, which sounds incredibly messy)

TIA!
    I buy mine whole and with chia seeds there is no need ti grind (as with flax), you can absorb all the goodness and omega-3s of it without grinding.
    When I make my "chia pudding" (or gel) with cocoa we eat with a spoon, I can't imagine eating it with fingers, it is very slimy.
    I guess that if you use the flour you might get a thicker consistency then.
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by Allorurnoto View Post
    NASA's Flight Plan G
    SPAM and chia seeds don't go together.

Reported....

I recently searched and found the following links. I made a chia fresca like what is described in one of the links.

I just use honey, water, lemon juice, and chia seeds. I drink with a straw. I've drunk them before my last two training runs and recovery has been much easier. Could be coincidence because I'm where I need to be training wise, but I'll keep using them.

I got them at Dekalb Farmer's Market while on a long weekend for $4.99/lb. I wish I would have purchased more! I haven't yet tried to find them locally.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christ..._b_446413.html

http://www.cclark61.com/

http://www.rachellaudan.com/2008/04/...a-de-chia.html

http://wildthyme-kitchen.com/2009/07...a-sports-drink

http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/chia-fresca-2/
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Thx for the links, JJ. There is so much info out there on them, it's nice to have some specific recommendations.

Thx for the training feedback, too. That's definitely the key way I want to use them (as part of my training nutrition)

Mango smoothies are always so delightful, and chia seeds take them to the next level by adding healthy omega 3 fatty acids and calcium. The recipe calls for frozen fruits, so that the liquid does not heat up during the relatively lengthy blending time.

Ingredients: (serves 2)
    - 2 T chia seeds
    - 2 cups water
    - 3 T agave nectar or raw honey
    - 2 cups frozen mango chunks
    - 1/2 t lucuma powder

Directions
    - Blend everything in a powerful blender for at least 2 minutes.

http://joannasteven.blogspot.com
    Chari

Interesting that you use water, and no milk or yogurt, in your smoothies.

Is that b/c the chia & water becomes so thick?

Quote Originally Posted by surfer376 View Post
    Mango smoothies are always so delightful, and chia seeds take them to the next level by adding healthy omega 3 fatty acids and calcium. The recipe calls for frozen fruits, so that the liquid does not heat up during the relatively lengthy blending time.

Ingredients: (serves 2)
    - 2 T chia seeds
    - 2 cups water
    - 3 T agave nectar or raw honey
    - 2 cups frozen mango chunks
    - 1/2 t lucuma powder

Directions
    - Blend everything in a powerful blender for at least 2 minutes.

http://joannasteven.blogspot.com
    That sounds really good, I love mangoes!!!
    I believe you would not need milk or yogurt as a "thickener" for this smoothie as mangoes are already pretty viscous when blended and with the chia seeds I can see it being a thick smoothie consistency.
    I will definitely try this one!! What about the lucuma powder, do you have more info on that, is it very good for us?
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by Aninha View Post
    That sounds really good, I love mangoes!!!
    I believe you would not need milk or yogurt as a "thickener" for this smoothie as mangoes are already pretty viscous when blended and with the chia seeds I can see it being a thick smoothie consistency.
    I will definitely try this one!! What about the lucuma powder, do you have more info on that, is it very good for us?
    Ana
    Just ordered some, it's dried fruit-

http://www.rawguru.com/store/raw-foo...ma_powder.html

http://www.navitasnaturals.com/products/lucuma.html

Looking froward to trying it!
    Chari

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    Interesting that you use water, and no milk or yogurt, in your smoothies.

Is that b/c the chia & water becomes so thick?
    Susan the chia makes the smoothie very thick, I am sure you could add yogurt if you wanted to.

I may add some kale to mine next time.

Good luck!
    Chari