Community Message Boards

Thread: no-boil lasagna noodles

Question no-boil lasagna noodles

I have never not boiled my lasagna noodles before I've made lasagna. I saw a recipe using the noodles without boiling them on the back of the box today though. Does anyone know if you can do that with most recipes, or does a recipe have to meet certain criteria before you can use the noodles like that?

The lasagna noodles that I use say "oven ready - no boiling required". I've used them in lasagna recipes as a direct substitution for boiled noodles. I usually have the sauce a little bit runnier, and make sure that the sauce covers all of the noodles. Never had a problem.

You should be aware that those no boil lasagna noodles absorb a lot of sauce. This causes the lasagna to be somewhat dry (absorbing too much sauce). Yes, it can be used in other dishes and does help with cooking time. I had stopped using it because of the reason above.

I have tried the no-boil noodles. After speaking with my sister-in-law, I found out that you can use the regular lasagne noodles and not boil them. She does it all the time and the regular noodles cost less, of course! She just prepares the lasagne, without boiling the noodles, and then bakes it. I have tried both and did not notice a difference at all, except for the price!

I use regular lasagna noodles and don't pre-boil them. I make the lasagna the day before (it tastes better that way) and use extra sauce because the noodles do absorb more. I think it turns out great this way.

To help prevent my non-boiled pasta from absorbing too much liquid, I always soak my lasagna noodles while I'm putting the lasagna together. Just before I am beginning to lay down the layers, I put some water in a large bowl or frying pan and put in the noodles. The noodles will soften just a bit and will not absorb quite so much sauce. Proceed as usual.

Hmm, Robin, I'll have to try that.

I must admit I've never had any luck with regular noodles and the "no cook" method. I always end up with either rubbery noodles or an "off" taste.

Will try this method and see if it gives more acceptable results. Thanx.

Talking

I always use the no-boil recipe. It's easy and tastes the same!

Smile

I have a recipe for spinach lasagna that calls for regular lasagna noodles (uncooked). You pour a cup of water in the pan after assembling, and cover tightly with foil. After it bakes, all the water has been absorbed.

Shirley

Thanks for all the comments. I've been reluctant to experiment with the noodles while making lasagna since it's such a time-intensive endeavor. But I'll never know unless I try. It's good to know it works for some people. Robin, I've never heard that idea; I will try it!