Community Message Boards

Thread: Spring Rolls vs. Egg Rolls

Spring Rolls vs. Egg Rolls

Some people consider spring rolls the fried ones, as well as the egg rolls? Is there some other version I'm not aware of?

I've always considered egg rolls fried & spring rolls are made fresh using
    the rice paper dipped in water, add meat (optional), mint, basil, bean sprouts, etc., dipped in Hoisin/Sracha sauce. I prefer spring rolls & while they are fun to make, they're also a pain!

I've seen the fried (egg) rolls occasionally called spring rolls, but like you I think of spring rolls as the fresh, Vietnamese ones and egg rolls the fried, Chinese style. I wonder if people might say "spring" roll if the egg roll is vegetarian??
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

[QUOTE= I wonder if people might say "spring" roll if the egg roll is vegetarian??[/QUOTE]

That could totally be it, Canice! Now I really wanna make them but they're so time consuming if I do it all beforehand. Spring rolls is the only dish that I'm like, "Hmmm.....should I call my mother?! She's always asking if she can make me something....."

I've heard the unfried ones called Summer Rolls too.
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

Your mother loves you. She wants you to be happy and well-fed. She wants to be able to do something you can't, miss fancy computer-savvy girl.
    I say, Call mom for spring rolls!

PS: If she were my mom I'd tell her that if she REALLY loved me, she'd make duck congee, too.

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    I've heard the unfried ones called Summer Rolls too.
    Oh yea, that's right.

Ok, I am no expert in this but here's what I thought:

- Summer rolls are the ones made with rice paper and eaten raw, when the rice paper is just soaked in water and made pliable.
    - Egg rolls have a different kind of wraper, more like a dough-like wraper, and it is fried.
    - Spring rolls are also fried, and now I am not sure but my guess is they are made with rice paper also.... ???? but again, I am not sure.

Is this correct? I would like to know also what each one of the rolls are!
    I love the summer rolls made with rice paper, we make them at home a lot during summer and spring time, they are so fresh and delicious! (don't care for the fried egg rolls though...)
    Ana

I believe the Spring designation has to do with the ingredients that are in the roll, not how it's prepared.

In my Best of Vietnamese and Thai Cooking book, there are 2 kinds of spring roll recipes. One with meat and one vegetarian. Use the lighter wrapper. Both are fried.

Egg rolls are egg rolls because they have bean sprouts in them and the heavier wrapper contains egg. Again, not because of how they are prepared. Also fried. There also seems to be some discussion that egg rolls are an American invention, and not authentically Chinese.

It seems that summer rolls aren't fried. (so, preparation method does play in to these)