Community Message Boards

Thread: ?? re shredding zuchinni

?? re shredding zuchinni

dh let the zuchinni's in the garden go crazy and forgot to pick for a week... now i am stuck with 5 extra large squash... to big to taste good steamed, but i'm too cheap to throw away.

was going to shred and freeze them for future zuchinni muffin making (my refrigerator overflow-ith with muffins for now!)

my question -- should i squeeze water out before freezing or freeze as is (shredded) then squeeze excess water before baking -- and not sure if this will make a difference as to the quality of the frozen zuc???
    It's easier to beg forgiveness then to ask permission!

I freeze shredded zuchinni every summer. I do not squeeze out the liquid before I freeze it. I freeze three cups at a time with my food saver and squeeze it dry when I thaw it. My specialty is chocolate zuchinni bread, and it comes out perfect every time using this method.

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

Denise, can you post the recipe for chocolate zuccini bread? Thanks.

thanks denise, your answer was just what i was needing!

years ago i got a recipe for choc zuchinni wave cake from this web site -- yum o!

dawna -- have a favorite recipe for zuchinni bread/muffins that i always add mini chips to! you can turn any muffin recipe by adding mini chips!

looking forward to seeing the choc zuchinni cake recipe! thanks for your help
    debbie

It's in my recipe box at home, but I'll get it when I go home for lunch. I won a blue ribbon for it at our tiny, little bitty, county fair.

I squeeze tht liquid out after thawing and use it to replace some of the liquid in a recipe (ex. add powdered milk and water to make one cup if the recipe calls for a cup of milk). If there isn't any additional liquid I throw the zuchinni juice in the next batch of soup/stew.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Dawna View Post
    Denise, can you post the recipe for chocolate zuccini bread? Thanks.
    I'm not Denise, but this is my favorite chocolate zucchini bread recipe (from allrecipes.com).
    Chocolate Zucchini Bread I

Rated: Submitted By: Diane
    Photo By: chestnut

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
    Cook Time: 1 Hour
    Ready In: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
    Servings: 20
    "Zucchini and a double dose of chocolate star in this moist and sweet quick bread."
    Ingredients:
    2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened
    chocolate
    3 eggs
    2 cups white sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups grated zucchini
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate until melted. Stir occasionally until chocolate is smooth. 2. In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, oil, grated zucchini, vanilla and chocolate; beat well. Stir in the flour baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans. 3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a loaf comes out clean.

Chocolate Zucchini Bread (makes 2 loaves)

3 cups all-purpose flour
    3 cups sugar
    1/2 cup baking cocoa
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    4 eggs
    1-1/2 cups canola oil
    2 tablespoos butter, melted
    1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
    3 cups grated zucchini
    1 cup chopped walnuts

In a large bowl combine the first 7 ingredients (flour through cinnamon). In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, oil, butter and extracts, mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in zucchini and walnuts. Post into two greased and floured loaf pans (8" x 4" x 2"). Bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from the pans to wire racks to cool completely.

This is so good. Rich and dense. Everyone loves it, and my DH grows zucchini for this cake alone. I either give one away or freeze one. He makes short work of the first one he cuts into. I also give these loaves as Christmas gifts. Enjoy!

Denise

Yellow vs green

Hi
    I used all my green zucchinis but still have (from my garden) yellow ones. Can I subs yellow for green in these bread recipes (shredded and freeze too)

What a great idea! I freeze bananas for banana bread, but have never thought to freeze zucchini for zucc bread.

I think I'm the only person alive who really doesn't like chocolate zucc bread. I really prefer regular zucc bread. I think it's blasphemous to add choc chips to pumpkin bread, too. Am I strange? :-)

I do the same thing as mentioned, freeze them and squeeze the water before using for muffins and cakes!
    I also like to use them in muffins recipe, comes out great every time!
    And yes, you can sub yellow squash in Zucchini Muffins, I did that a couple times already this summer and it was supper good! (haven't tried with the chocolate zucchini cake though, but I don't see why it would not work!)
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    I think it's blasphemous to add choc chips to pumpkin bread, too. Am I strange? :-)
    me's thinking so!

i always add choc chips (mini) to pumpkin bread too!

I'm with you on this SusanMac - I just enjoy the 'plain' quick breads so much I see no need for adding chocolate (which I generally love). Nuts are optional, depending on what I feel like eating at the time - chocolate chips are not.
    Anne

I am one of the those who likes the combination of pumpkin bread and chocolate chips! Here at our home pumpkin muffins with choc. chips are one of the most requested recipes!!
    On the zucchini muffins/bread though I like raisins and walnuts, they turn out delicious with those add ins!
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    I think I'm the only person alive who really doesn't like chocolate zucc bread. I really prefer regular zucc bread. I think it's blasphemous to add choc chips to pumpkin bread, too. Am I strange? :-)
    Yeah, I think it's blasphemous to add choc chips to pumpkin bread. So I don't think you're strange

And I don't like chocolate zucchini bread or regular zucchini bread. (Or carrot cake, for that matter. Leave the vegetables out of my dessert )
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

I also prefer regular zucchini bread over chocolate zucchini cake/bread!!

My co-op share included 2 zucchinis that the girls will not eat without camoflague. Do these Chocolate Zucchini breads freeze well?

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

ACK! I just saw this thread! I've been freezing lots of shredded zucchini from my sister's garden but I've been squeezing the liquid out first. I'll stop but I'm guessing the squeezed zucchini will be fine, too. Am I wrong?
    TIA,
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by hollysmom View Post
    My co-op share included 2 zucchinis that the girls will not eat without camoflague. Do these Chocolate Zucchini breads freeze well?

SSM
    Yes, they freeze beautifully!
    I make zucchini bread all the time, bake them in muffin tins and freeze them after cooled. Just put them into a zipbag and in the freezer they go, when you are ready to have one as a snack/breakfast/meal just take them out and microwave for 30 seconds, perfect muffins in seconds! (or just let them thaw for 10 minutes on your countertop - I sometimes put them on my son's lunchbox and by the time he has lunch the muffin is fully defrosted).
    I use this recipe: Zucchini Bread - could not be any easier or simpler to make!
    Ana