Community Message Boards

Thread: What is a good substitute for raw onion in salsa and guacamole?

What is a good substitute for raw onion in salsa and guacamole?

Neither my dad or FIL can eat raw onions. I would like to serve a salsa and guacamole for when they come over for dinner next week. Would sauting the onions be okay in a standard salsa and guacamole recipe? Anyone ever tried it?
    Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty100 View Post
    What is a good substitute for raw onion in salsa and guacamole?

Garlic, but a LOT less of it. Taste test as you add a little at a time to make sure that you don't put in too much.

Would blanching the onions in a little water work? I think I'd do that before frying them because frying seems to take the flavor in a different direction... but that might not be all bad either!

I've grilled onions before for salsa, along with the tomatoes and peppers. It was a different taste than fresh salsa, of course, but it was good.

My family can't do fresh onions, but is able to digest the dehydrated onion flakes... soak them in water, first, as the package says, then use as though they were fresh.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

My BIL just uses onion powder in his guacamole and it's delish. I don't think the texture of sauteed onions would work very well.

I have the same problem. I use jicama for the crunch. Add some garlic or onion juice for the flavor. If the jicama looks bad, I've even used chopped celery before but its flavor is stronger. You can always go really wild and toss in some apples or something else crunchy. Most salsas and all really need texture.

Try soaking the onions in lime juice - it has the same effect as when it changes the molecules in fish for ceveche. It has made it easier to eat for those who cant eat raw onion. Maybe make some with and some without so they can try it?
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

I'd be one to go ahead and caramelize the onions for the salsa. For the guacamole I use onion powder and garlic powder since I prefer a smoother guacamole.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I would probably blanch rather than caramelize.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

if someone is sensitive to raw onions, i would not sub raw garlic.

I think grilling or roasting the onions before adding them to the salsa would be great. Otherwise I think I'd make an onion-y guac and non-onion-y one (maybe trying the lime juice suggestion).
    - Josie

Great suggestions! Thanks!
    Go for it!

Smile I love these ideas

My only problem after reading about carmelizing the onions, using flakes, mixing with lime, or substituting garlic, is that I DON'T KNOW which one to do first!

They ALL sound fun!

20/20
    Carol and I love wilde edible plants and creating healthy meals with them. Enjoy our wild native edible plant photos and stories at: http://www.nativeeyes.com

Guacamole doesn't really need onions.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Guacamole doesn't really need onions.
    I'm going to second this.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

I agree you could skip the onions altogether.

My fav guac recipe is from Rick Bayless and calls for roasting onions & tomatoes first. It is super yummy! I think it would work well for salsa, too.

There are so many variations of each dish. Feel free to improvise