Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO Gluten-free, sugar-free, unleavened bread recipe

Question ISO Gluten-free, sugar-free, unleavened bread recipe

Friends, I've got a daunting task. I'm responsible for supervising a group of people who make bread for our school's daily Communion services (for those who don't know, I'm a student at an Episcopal Seminary studying to become an Episcopal minister). We have people with food allergies and/or medical conditions they can't partake of the bread we make right now - it is whole wheat with honey.

My goal is to find something that the whole worshiping community can partake of taking into account the allergies/sensititivities/medical conditions. I believe we contend with: lactose intolerence (thus no milk), gluten allergy (thus no wheat based products), Type I/Type II diabetes (thus no honey/sugar).

Have I bitten off more than I can proverbially chew? Can anyone point me in a good direction? I've googled and checked most of the cooking sites I can find and most of the recipes I can find have one of the offending items or makes wafers (and that's not preferred).

TIA for your thoughts and recommendations.

Les
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6 (NIV)

Reflections on life and spirituality can be found at https://revles.wordpress.com

Visit my new ministry site: St. John's Episcopal church, Suffolk VA.

Les, I'm confused. You say you want an unleavened bread that isn't a wafer. What would that look like? I can find gluten free matzo recipes but that is going to give you a wafer.

If you have a bread recipe that fits the bill, can you sub an all-purpose gluten free flour like Bob's Red Mill makes?
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

The communion bread I make is flour, oil, water and salt. I would just make it using a gluten-free flour mix. But it's going to make a wafer, which you don't want.

I think I'd think more along the lines of using the recipe you already have and making substitutions. Use a gluten-free flour mix to replace the wheat flour. You can replace milk with soy milk. You could replace the honey/sugar with agave syrup, which has a lower glycemic index (or find a recipe that doesn't have sugar in it).

The honey/sugar thing is kind of confusing. How much sugar is in your recipe and how much is one person eating of it? And actually, what tbb said, the unleavened bread/no wafer is confusing too. Could you maybe post your recipe that you're currently using?
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

The recipe I'm using right now is:

Mix thoroughly in a large bowl:
    4 cups whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 teaspoons baking powder

In a small bowl, mix well:
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup honey

Add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until a soft dough is formed. Knead for about five minutes. Divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll out each piece on a floured surface, into a circle about 6 inches in diameter. Use a six inch round template, or the lip of a large (approx. 6”) round container to cut out each host. A Rubbermaid container that takes a #2 lid is perfect.

Bake on cookie sheets (lightly sprayed with oil) at 375o until edges just begin to lightly brown (about 12 minutes). When partially cool, place up to 5 hosts in each quart sized plastic freezer bag. —Adapted from a Trappist Monk recipe

The bread isn't truly a wafer because of the baking powder but it's not leavened with yeast. The consistency of the bread is almost like a dense biscuit; the dough is rolled out to about 1/8-1/4 inch thick and may rise to 1/4-3/8 inch when baked.

I may just stick with the recipe as is and substitute gluten-free flour for the whole wheat flour. The only thing I would have to come up with is a substitute for the liquid of the honey. Do you think water would work as a substitute? I'll have to check with the diabetics about agave syrup. FWIW -one person has Type I Diabetes which he controls with an insulin pump but his body reacts badly to honey. I only know this because of conversations about different sugars, sugar and honey are really bad for him.

Thank you for your questions and suggestions. It looks like I have more homework to do in this case.

Les
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6 (NIV)

Reflections on life and spirituality can be found at https://revles.wordpress.com

Yeah, I would just work with the recipe you've already got. I'd cut it way down and do a few test runs.

See what your diabetic says about agave and also ask about Splenda (1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs and increase the liquid for the Splenda, equal amounts for the agave). You could also try it without the honey. You'll need more liquid in the recipe but probably not the whole 1/2 cup. More water would work fine, add it a little at a time until you get the right consistency.

You can buy a gluten-free flour mix but I'll post a couple for you in case you want to make your own. These are both specifically for bread.

High-Protein Flour Blend
    from www.livingwithout.com

1 1/4 cups chickpea flour
    1 cup potato starch, cornstarch or arrowroot starch
    1 cup tapioca starch/flour
    1 cup white or brown rice flour

Light Bean Flour Mix (for bread only)
    The Gluten-Free Gourmet Makes Dessert by Bette Hagman

garfava bean flour 1 part
    tapioca flour 1 part
    cornstarch 1 part

You can try it without but you might want to add some xanthan gum to help with the texture. Looking over the recipes in front of me, it looks like they're using about 1/2 tsp per cup of flour for quick breads.

Good luck!
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

Thanks tovie. I spoke with the diabetic and he doesn't tolerate honey at all. Even the small amount (relatively) in the bread is enough to send his blood sugar wacky.

I'll experiment with the gluten free flours to see which ones turn out the best and thanks for the xanthan gum hint. I wasn't sure of the ratio to flour.

I'll let you all know how things evolve. Thanks again,
    Les

gluten free

Hi there
    I know in the Catholic church I read many articles about gluten free & communion.
    This is a link that might be of help?
    http://www.livingwithout.com/feature...eeworship.html

enclosed a link about wafers

http://www.cokesbury.com/forms/Produ...spx?pid=352972
    You mentioned bread but maybe these links might be able to help