Community Message Boards

Thread: Green Pepper Jelly problem

Green Pepper Jelly problem

My mom made the recipe below and ran into problems. Most of the jelly did not jell. "Most" includes all the jars she processed. The only jelly that actually set up the way it should was about a 1/2 cup of the leftovers that she poured into a small bowl and then pretty much ignored. All the jelly in the processed jars is still very runny.

I've never made anything except fruit jam and have no suggestions for her. Anyone else ever made pepper jelly or have any suggestions about what she can do?
    THANKS!!

Green Bell Pepper Jelly Recipe
    Serves/Makes: 4 half-pints

Ingredients:
    6 large green peppers
    1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
    6 cups sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    6 ounces liquid pectin
    Green food coloring
    Paraffin

Directions:

Remove stems, seeds and white portions of peppers and cut into pieces about an inch square. Put half of the peppers and half the vinegar in a blender or food processor and puree. Repeat with remaining peppers and vinegar. Put the puree into a large pan and add sugar, cayenne, and salt.

Stir constantly while you bring mixture to a full rolling boil and add liquid pectin. Continue to boil for 1 minutes, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and stir in enough green food coloring to achieve a green that you find satisfactory.

Pour immediately into sterilized jelly jars and seal with a thin layer of melted paraffin. Stir in a cool dry place.

(Note: my mom didn't do the paraffin step but used the old-fashioned sterilizing process instead. This recipe came from a site called CDKitchen.)

IMHO, too much pectin...

BTA: I've never used the liquid so I don't know if that makes a difference but did a search of pepper jelly just now and most seem to use 3-4 ounces...
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Did you check the expiry date of the liquid pectin? Most liquid pectins have a shelf life of 18 months. Go over that and it's bound to fail.

I recently made a Jalapeno Jelly which called for 2 pouches of liquid pectin (approximately 6 oz) and 6 cups of sugar. It made 5 jars. The process was slightly different. It turned out perfect.

I've heard of over-processing breaking down pectin. Since the part not processed jelled correctly, I'm wondering if that happened.

I would let the jelly sit in the jars for a couple of days -- even a week, and see if it sets up again. Sometimes it will set after sitting for a day or a few days, and it's better if it does than that to recook and possibly get hockey pucks.

Thanks for all the responses! As of late yesterday afternoon, the jelly seemed to be setting up! She was thrilled.

I did a search of pepper jelly on a different recipe site and found all kinds of similar problems mentioned. Lots of recommendations included DOUBLING the amount of pectin. Some responses were that it could take several weeks to set. Some responses even mentioned that different types of pepper could cause the jelly to be runnier than normal.

But regardless, it sounds like she may be in luck and just needed to wait another day or so. My suggestion to her in the future will be to use well-known recipe sites (that include comments and ratings) to pick her recipes in the future.

THANKS!

I've used the same recipe and type of pectin for years, and I still get some that takes longer to set or occasionally one that needs some tweaking. I suspect the peppers could impact the pectin, sugar, acid balance that is needed to gel. We've just made it a point to wait until the next weekend if that happens before we try to fix what might not be broken. Glad hers appears to be setting. I always like an easy fix.