Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally found it...BETTER-THAN-SEX ICE CREAM!!!

I finally found it...BETTER-THAN-SEX ICE CREAM!!!

I DID IT!! I DID IT!! I DID IT!!

I'm finally an 'ice cream success story'!! After all my troubles I finally find that perfect recipe book, and I have NOW found that perfect ice cream...my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip ice cream just came out of the Cuisinart and went into the freezer to 'firm up', but I had to lick myself a beater along the way!! It is amazing!! The whole reason I wanted to make my own ice cream is because I'm tired of two or three lowfat choices at the grocery store. I wanted variety AND taste in my lowfat ice cream! This one is the best so far! I 'fixed' a recipe in the Ultimate Ice Cream Book and was hoping it would work, and now I found out that it did! I changed the ingredients somewhat, but not the directions. Here's the ORIGINAL ingredient list:

PEANUT BUTTER ICE CREAM

3/4 cup sugar
    3 large eggs
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (no reduced fat)
    1-1/2 cups heavy cream
    2 tsp vanilla extract.

Here's MY adaptation:

PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM

1/4 cup sugar
    3 large eggs
    1 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (natural)
    1 cup Fat Free Sweetened Condensed Milk
    1/2 cup Fat Free Half & Half
    2 tsp Vanilla

In a medium mixing bowl beat the sugar into the eggs until slightly thickened and pale yellow. Set aside. Bring the milk to a simmer in a medium saucepan over low heat. Slowly beat the hot milk into the eggs and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon or whisk until the custard thickens slightly. Do not let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble. Remove from the heat and beat in the peanut butter with a whisk. Pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large clean bowl. Allow to cool slightly, then whisk in the condensed milk, half & half and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight. Add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips when mixture is semi-frozen in ice cream maker.

I was hoping this recipe would turn out since I messed with the sugar and all, but it is absolutely perfect! Who needs Reese's Peanut Butter Cups when I can have a scoop of this?? Yes, I know, 3 large eggs and 1/2 cup of peanut butter is fat-fat-fat, but I challenge Ben OR Jerry to come up with this kind of satisfaction with this limited amount of fat...

Since hubby is still gone, I'll take all the Better-Than-Sex Ice Cream I can get my hands on! Gads, I think I need to go have a cigarette...
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Oh, Jewel, I knew right away when I saw the title of your thread it was you, even before I saw your name You are too funny. I have to get myself one of those ice-cream gadgets.

Ohhh...that sounds sooo good! I need an ice-cream maker...my bday is coming up, I know what to ask for!

Anita

Thumbs up Yipee.....

You rule girl! Congratulations on your success and now I crown you Queen of Ice Cream. You never gave up and that you should be proud of!
    A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat---Old New York Proverb

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him the entire weekend.---Zenna Schaffer

Never eat more than you can lift.---Miss Piggy

Way to go! I'd read about your frustrations and was hoping to hear a success soon. Enjoy!

Jewel, LOL -- you are TOO funny! Your ice cream sounds SO good! thanks for sharing the lightened version.

tracey

Jewel, now that you've got it down, I can come to you for advice when I get my new $19 freezer!

I think we're going to have to keep the old wooden White Mountain crank freezer since it was DH's growing up. The plastic hand crank one was ours when I was growing up, but I'm not sure that plastic out of the Sears catalog has the same staying power. I guess both are "antiques" of a sort.

Jewe; I'm so glad that you got that ice cream maker and that you kept with it! I've so enjoyed reading your posts.

This ice cream is one of our all time favorites too. I modified mine a bit different than yours, but felt that our end product was fabulous too.

For the 1 Cup of whole milk I too substituted 1 cup of skim milk.
    But for the 1 1/2 cup of heavy cream I substituted 3/4 cup of skim milk and 3/4 cup of half and half - then the second time we made it I also threw in 1 T of heavy cream just for my satisfaction! We too added chocolate chips, only we added the full size ones.

This is indeed a peanut butter lovers delight!

K

Jewel,

I am convinced with your determination and will of iron that we have all wittnessed over the past several months, you can conquer PIE CRUSTS!!! (just joking )

I had the most wonderful Reses Peanut Better Cup ice cream and B&R the other day. Seeing your recipe has inspired me to try it at home. Maybe I'll the ice cream as foreplay and my darling BF as dessert!

Robin

this sounds SOOO good. But I have a question...when do you put it in the ice-cream-maker? After the overnight refrigeration? Sorry, I have never made ice cream before. i don't have an ice-cream-maker, but I think I just found the excuse to get one!!

thanks!
    ann

Originally posted by amcleod
    this sounds SOOO good. But I have a question...when do you put it in the ice-cream-maker? After the overnight refrigeration? Sorry, I have never made ice cream before. i don't have an ice-cream-maker, but I think I just found the excuse to get one!!
    thanks!
    ann
    Ann, most ice cream mixtures that are cooked on the stove must be chilled before putting into an ice cream freezer, but with these freezers that use a frozen cylinder, it is crucial!! If the mixture isn't cold enough the 'gel' inside the cylinder will start to melt and you won't get a good freeze. You can chill for a few hours in the fridge, but I think most of us have found out that overnight (or the equivalent; say make the mixture in the morning, chill, and freeze in the ice cream freezer before dinner!) works the best. The colder you can get that custard the BETTER. I blew it the first time I made the stuff, thinking I was gonna be smart and put my custard in the freezer for a few hours to 'hurry it along'. All I did was make little ice crystals that mutated into HUGE ice crystals when the ice cream froze...not pretty.

I have calmed down a bit now, and finally got to sit down with a little bowl of my Peanut Butter Playmate a few minutes ago, since it had been in the freezer for a few hours to 'finish firming'. DH comes home sometime in the middle of the night tonight or tomorrow (not sure yet!) from Alaska, and I'm going to greet him wearing a Peanut Butter Mustache and give him the sweetest kiss he's had in the nearly 2 weeks he's been gone!

Yum!

Jewel - this sounds fabulous! I must make it tonight!
    So many recipies, so little time....

I think this sounds really good too. I only have one concern. I mad the low fat vanilla ice cream over the weekend and found it to be way too sweet due to the sweetened condensed milk. How is it in this recipe? Can you really not tell it's in there? Maybe I'll just have to try it myself and see.

Originally posted by Hoosier65
    I think this sounds really good too. I only have one concern. I mad the low fat vanilla ice cream over the weekend and found it to be way too sweet due to the sweetened condensed milk. How is it in this recipe? Can you really not tell it's in there? Maybe I'll just have to try it myself and see.
    Hoosier, did you use the Lowfat Vanilla Ice Cream recipe that I posted a while back or another one? Because the lowfat that I posted contained no additional sugar, only the sugar in the sweetened-condensed milk. If you look at the recipes above, I decreased the sugar in the recipe by 1/2 cup just because I WAS using a cup of the sweetened-condensed milk. I've learned you can't sub the sweetened stuff for heavy cream unless you DO decrease the sugar. If you find that it's still too sweet, I'd suggest if the recipe calls for 1-1/2 cups of cream (like the Peanut Butter recipe) you use 1 cup of sweetened and 1/2 cup of fat free half and half! You could probably use ALL fat free half and half and just add sugar as the recipe suggests, but I like the thickness and the creamy texture of the condensed milk! Seems like the ice cream holds up better and is way more decadent!

OK, so that last post pretty much answered one of my questions-will it be sweet enough, because I looove natural peanut butter, but I know it dosn't contain any sugar. Question number two, is a texture question-how is it? The natural pb has a more grainy texture than the uber-processed hydrogenated oil killer pb, so how does that translate into the ice cream. Oh heck, it sounds so good, I may have to make it myself to find out. Oh, and conrgats on your su-cess. I feel your joy-I just mastered biscuits after trying half my life to make 'em right.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Isn't sweetened condensed milk the same thing as evaporated milk with added sugar? I would think perhaps there is also a ratio of dry milk to water that would yield a similar concentrated, fat-free milk.

Better-than-sex??!!???

You mean Im the ONLY one who is going to address the better-than-sex issue????????

Ahw, c'mon guys, give your DH's some credit.....(or least protect their manhood and PRETEND!!!) I will start....Scott, (my DH), I have never had any food better-than-sex, ok honey?
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

Jewel, I am beside myself with euphoria too! I just received my Krups ice cream freezer from ourhouse.com and it is in the freezer. I will be trying your vanilla ice cream tomorrow. I am looking forward to experimenting further with the new toy and my family is ready! M

y Mom gave me a peanut butter ice cream pie recpe several years ago, I will have to look through my "archives" which means don't expect it immediately.
    Last edited by Wendy w; 08-23-2001 at 09:12 PM.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Wink The Peanut Butter Thing...

Originally posted by JHolcomb
    Question number two, is a texture question-how is it? The natural pb has a more grainy texture than the uber-processed hydrogenated oil killer pb, so how does that translate into the ice cream.
    OK, now I can admit that at first I was worried about the texture. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter. Specified creamy, said it works best, and that if you wanted crunchy ice cream add the chopped peanuts later. Beside THAT it said 'Reduced fat or homemade peanut butter not recommended'. Well, to me 'natural' is close to homemade, but I didn't want to go out and buy a jar 'o Jif if I wasn't going to use more than 1/2 cup!

When I added the peanut butter to the hot mixture after taking the custard off the heat, it whisked in just fine. As I poured it through the strainer, however, I noticed a bit of peanut butter 'debri' in the strainer. Didn't matter much to me, I scooped it back in and stirred. When I pulled the mixture out of the fridge the next day to pour into the ice cream freezer, the PB had separated a bit from the mixture and was floating. A few good turns with the whisk and it was all blended again! Once it started freezing it stayed together, and HAS stayed together since. The texture of this ice cream is VERY creamy and decadent.

On a side note, DH came in from Alaska this morning at 7:30am. After the hugs and 'I missed you's' I pulled out that little container and gave him a spoonful...shoulda seen his eyes!

Wink

After work today I will be racing to the grocery store to buy the ingedients for you Better than Sex Ice Cream recipe! It sounds delicious!!

Has anyone calculated the nutritional information? I wanted to see how it will fit into my weight watchers plan (loosely translated--will this be my dinner Sat. night)

FYI-- I was at Target yesterday and they had a smaller sized Rival ice cream maker on sale for $17.99 regularly 19.99--still a great price. This might be perfect for a small family or someone who is not sure they will use it very often.

Christine

Jewel:
    you should send this in to CL for the Reader's Recipe's section!!

Originally posted by lisas3575
    Jewel:
    Lisa, you'd better try it first!! Besides, the original recipe is from The Ultimate Ice Cream Book, I just changed the ingredients around...although DH had a bowl last night and said it was (quote) "ALMOST-AS-GOOD-AS-SEX Ice Cream" (See why I love that man??

Okay I imported the orginal recipe and Jewels and came up with this.

Ultimate Peanut Butter Ice Cream: (without chocolate chips)

CALORIES: 270; FAT: 19; CHOL: 135; SAT FAT: 11

Jewels Peanut Butter with Chocolat Chips:

CALORIES: 249; FAT: 6; CHOL: 71; SAT FAT: 3
    A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat---Old New York Proverb

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him the entire weekend.---Zenna Schaffer

Thanks Mamasue! Any idea how many servings this makes?

I am with Kwormann!!! Jewel you do deserve a round of appaulse ( I am going to try the recipe)...but I also got a kick out of Robin's post !!

Originally posted by Mamasue
    Okay I imported the orginal recipe and Jewels and came up with this.

Ultimate Peanut Butter Ice Cream: (without chocolate chips)

CALORIES: 270; FAT: 19; CHOL: 135; SAT FAT: 11

Jewels Peanut Butter with Chocolat Chips:

CALORIES: 249; FAT: 6; CHOL: 71; SAT FAT: 3

Hmmmm...I still don't like that much fat! I know it's the peanut butter, but what can we do?? Could I maybe change the eggs to Egg Beaters without changing the texture too much? With the fat free sweetened condensed milk and the fat free half & half which are REALLY creamy, the eggs shouldn't make much difference in the texture! Also, DH said last night that the peanut butter could be cut down and still have a great flavor. He suggested a HEAPING quarter cup instead of a half cup. I'll have to try it now with those modifications and see what happens! Any thoughts on the eggs substitutions?

Originally posted by lisas3575
    Jewel:
    Or better yet, feature "the House of Jewel" in a CL profile article. Surely, she will be more interesting!
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Originally posted by Wendy w

Or better yet, feature "the House of Jewel" in a CL profile article. Surely, she will be more interesting!
    Thanks for the kind words, Wendy, but I doubt it! I do nothing special! Except for trying to find new and unique ways to keep my husband guessing!

I did send in my Cheesy Chicken Chowder to the 'Lighten Up' section, so we'll see! Fall and winter are coming, so maybe it will tickle their fancy!

Christine........Oh....sorry....the recipe makes 1 quart which would serve 8 at 1/2 each. So the numbers was calculated on 1/2 cup serving.

Jewel....try the egg beaters next time and compare the difference. I made the custard for the Low Fat Vanilla last night and will be processing it tonight with some chocolate chips. I do have some mint chocolate morsels that I bought at TJ's but I try that at another time.

I made this last night and it was terrific. Gasp! I did use Jiff and regular size chips. It did take a longer time to firm up in the freezer than other ice creams, but no one minded eating it soft. This was the first custard ice cream I have made. I'm usually not very good at custard. I'll turn by back for one second and those eggs are scrambled, so this was a good test of my patience!
    So many recipies, so little time....