Community Message Boards

Thread: Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rods

Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rods

I am hosting a baby shower for my friend on Sunday. One of the favors will be a cellopane bag with 2 chocolate dipped pretzel rods to go along with another small gift. I make chocolate dipped pretzels for the holidays and store them in a tupperware container for up to 2 weeks. Do you think the same rule would apply to pretzel rods? I'm off from work tomorrow and would like to dip them and store them in the tupperware container. I will bag them the night before the shower. What do you think of that time schedule? TIA!

I've made them (rolled in nuts or sprinkles for Christmas) and popped 'em into the freezer up to a month before Christmas. They still looked nice when taken out of the tupperware and wrapped in the cello bags for gifting.

Thanks for your reply. When I make the dipped pretzels at holiday time I store them in a tupperware and believe it or not I keep the tupperware in m bedroom closet. It is dark and cool inside. I'm afraid to freeze or refrigerator due to condensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
    Thanks for your reply. When I make the dipped pretzels at holiday time I store them in a tupperware and believe it or not I keep the tupperware in m bedroom closet. It is dark and cool inside. I'm afraid to freeze or refrigerator due to condensation.
    I've dipped pretzel rods for the last few years for Halloween. I usually store them standing upright in a glass jar with a glass lid out of sunlight, cool & dry. I've done them a week ahead of time with no problem.

For the same reason you stated -- risk of condensation/sweating; or a severe change in temp. that would cause the chocolate to unsightly bloom -- I would be concerned about freezing and later defrosting, too.

Sealed tupperware in the closet for 2 weeks sounds fine to me.

If layering the rods for storage inside the tupperware on top of one another, I would suggest wax paper in between.
    Life ain't Certain. Ride Your Best Horse First

Thanks so much for your input. Do you think I can dip them & bag them in the cellophane pretzel bags and then store in the tupperware or should I wait to bag them the day of the shower? I think I may be putting too much thought into this!!

Don't know what you are sprinkling onto the pretzel rods after dipping, but there is always the mess that accumulates from salt, crumbs, or sprinkly stuff falling off with the slightest bump or bang inside the storage container or even while assembling.

IMO for optimal presentation & quality control, I would wait. I think that way the rods will look the most intact & give your recipients the best (& cleanest) visual impression. You will also be able to control which rods (the best looking after storage) get bagged. I can tell you already know this, but I will stress being gentle when handling. The rods are fairly sturdy, but stuff falls off even when you are being careful. The rods may also unintentionally bang into one another in closer quarters (if you bagged early) when being shuffled around. So, I would wait to bag till the end in order to minimize unsightly accidental crumb accumulation in the gift bag bottoms or rod chips/breakage.

Thank you so much! You have been a great help to me.

Just a thought.....

Do you know about using a coffee mug for dipping? I learned after trial and error.

WOW! I had no idea I could do the dipped pretzels that far in advance! I'll do what you are doing then Leonard, I'm over in Seminole now so temp wise, if it works for you, it'll work for me!

Foodfly, I learned too to do that so the rods get as much chocolate coated on them.

-Slight change in subject, but Foodfly made me think of this. Does anyone have that Chocolate Melting Machine from Wilton? I've been thinking about getting it for these reasons and love the idea of not having do to the double broiler and worry about keeping the chocolate warm.
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

The Wilton machine is ok though mine is falling apart in several pieces so it doesn't hold up very well. And the teflon scratches easily if you use spoons or metal dipping tools. It only works with melts - you can't temper with it. And it easily burns the chocolate when left on high.

I have this machine. It works good.

Sweet, gooey caramel. There's nothing like it, and with this sweet-looking appliance you can create your very own gourmet caramel apples. Simply melt the caramel, dip the apples and decorate as you please. Several ideas for making gourmet apples are included in the instructional manual. Melts 28oz. of caramel, which makes approximately 6 apples. Apples and caramel not included.

28 oz. Capacity
    Holds enough caramel to make 6 large gourmet candy apples.
    Includes instruction manual with lots of caramel and caramel apple ideas
    Attached Images Attached Images