1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 bay leaves
    1 1/4 cups Merlot
    56 ounces canned whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
    30 ounces canned kidney beans, drained
    2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese

I do not have any tomato paste. I do have ketchup. Would it be totally sacrilegious to use that instead? Would probably leave out the salt. Or, is there another alternative?
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

The tomato paste actually serves as a thickener and deepens the tomato flavor, which ketchup won't do, and it will also add a vinegary/sweet note, not that it's a big deal. Leave it out and maybe simmer a bit longer for thickness or, alternatively, used crushed tomatoes rather than whole, if you have them and don't object to losing the texture of the chopped. They tend to give a denser result than the other. I do it all the time because I don't like tomato pieces. You might even have to add a little water or other liquid to keep it from sticking if you used crushed.

Bob

I rarely use paste because I simmer much longer than recipes call for. Last night's pot of chili simmered for 2 1/3 hours. You could use masa or a flour slurry but I'd go for the long simmer.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

along the same lines as what Bob suggested, I'd reserve some of the liquid from the canned whole tomatoes - you can add it if it's too thick, but that's a way of getting some liquid out without losing a lot of flavor.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I was going to let it simmer longer anyway...it is for tomorrow and will go into the crockpot in the morning, and simmer away for a good chunk of the day.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I would change the canned tomatoes from undrained to drained, use about a cup of tomato sauce instead of the tomato paste, plus a good thickener I've been using is quick-cooking tapioca. You can grind the tapioca if you don't like the fish egg look. I've seen a lot of slow cooker recipes that call for tapioca for the thickening agent.

I suggest using about 1 tbsp or 2 of cocoa. Not hot chocolate mix, but the baking cocoa. It'll give that deep background note that tomato paste provides.