Community Message Boards

Thread: Where to find cocoa nibs??

Where to find cocoa nibs??

I wanted to try this recipe for a cocktail party and I would like to try it with the cocoa nibs. Where can I find cocoa nibs?

CRANBERRY COCOA NIB BISCOTTI WITH CAMBAZOLA AND ROSEMARY BUTTER PECANS

Serves 8

Every Thanksgiving I wonder what I can serve my family to keep them happy before the big event while not spoiling their appetite. Here is a little nibble that (assuming someone doesn't inhale them all) will make a perfect little preview of the feast to come. And, the components can be made ahead, so all you need to worry about is a little last minute assembly.

For the Pecans:
    2 Tablespoons butter, melted
    1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    2 Tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne
    1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, divided
    1 teaspoon (more or less) fleur de sel sea salt
    2 cups pecan halves

Biscotti

Preheat the oven to 325. In a small mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic salt, brown sugar, black pepper and cayenne plus 1 teaspoon of the minced rosemary. Add the pecans and toss to coat. Line a baking sheet with foil and spread the nuts evenly on the foil. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle the remaining 2 teaspoons rosemary and a little fleur de sel over the nuts and toss to coat evenly, making sure all the nuts are separate from each other. Set aside to cool, then store in an airtight container.

For the Biscotti:

3/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    grated peel of 1 orange
    2 1/2 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons anise seed
    1/2 cup full bodied red wine
    1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
    1/2 cup cocoa nibs (if you have trouble finding them, you can substitute chopped bitter chocolate, or simply leave them out)
    1 egg for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 325 Fahrenheit. In a stand mixer, or by hand, cream the butter and sugar. Add the 2 eggs, one at a time. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to the butter mixture alternately with the wine. Add the cranberries and cocoa nibs and mix until evenly combined. Turn out onto a floured surface and divide into two pieces. Roll each piece into a 12' long log about 2" in diameter. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper if you have it, otherwise foil will do (or silpat). Make an egg wash by adding 1 tablespoon water to 1 egg and beat until frothy. With a pastry brush, brush the egg wash evenly over each log. Bake for one hour. The logs will have flattened out considerably. Remove from oven, let sit about 10 minutes, then cut each log in half down the center, then slice into 1/4 inch slices. Place slices flat onto a baking sheet and put back in the oven for 15 minutes to crisp them up (be aware, however, that they only become crisp upon cooling, so don't expect them to feel crunchy directly out of the oven). Let cool completely, then store in an airtight container.

To Finish:

1 lb. Cambazola cheese (this is a triple-cream blue cheese that is widely available. Also, it is very mild, so those who do not like blue cheese typically like this one. If you really don't want to test it, you could use brie, or goat cheese, or even cream cheese if you want to take mild to an extreme.)

To serve, simply place the biscotti on a serving platter, add a piece of Cambazola that has been sliced to fit perfectly on the biscotti and top with a pecan. Done!

Williams Sonoma usually sells them. I have a couple boxes from them. Otherwise, I would call some local specialty grocery stores and/or shop for them online.
    - Josie

Anywhere that sells a decent selection of Scharffenberger products will probably have them as well.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Does Trader Joe's have them? I'm heading there today.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyshine View Post
    Does Trader Joe's have them? I'm heading there today.
    I've never spotted them at TJ's.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

I've found them before at my local Whole Foods.

I've gotten them at Sur la Table and Hubbell & Hudson.

We have them at Whole Foods, but you can also order them through Amazon. Note that many of them ship free.

Frontier coop sells them on line.
    I buy their spices in the 1# foil packs from my buying club/co-op, so I just placed an order. They are organic and fair trade.

www.frontiercoop.com
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

The only place I can find them is at a couple health food stores, or order them online.
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

I never found them on Sunday so I looked online. How different are they from bitter chocolate? Will it be worth the price difference? I think I should just try bitter chocolate first to test out the recipe before spending the money to get some shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyshine View Post
    I never found them on Sunday so I looked online. How different are they from bitter chocolate? Will it be worth the price difference? I think I should just try bitter chocolate first to test out the recipe before spending the money to get some shipped.

Totally different and I'd wait and use the nibs. It's more a crunch factor than a chocolate factor. I buy the online here, they have an excellent selection of Valrhona products.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

13. Cocoa nibs are also healthier than bitter chocolate. It doesn't have the sugar and other ingredients, and the flavor is completely different. It does not have the typical chocolate flavor, but is more like a really flavorful and aromatic nutty texture. In my opinion, this makes it more appealing for people who do not like sweets as much. Usually, you can get them online here, or at a local bakery supply store.