Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO the best scalloped potatoes recipe

ISO the best scalloped potatoes recipe

Who has the best scalloped potatoes recipe?
    What thickness of potato is best?
    What type of potato?
    Cheese or no cheese?
    milk/half and half/cream?
    What additions makes yours special?

I've used this recipe for many years. I've tried others, but keep coming back to this one. It's basic, but so good. You can play around with it, too. Sometimes I add grated Romano cheese (see below). But most often, I just follow the recipe.

I use large, all-purpose potatoes, Idahos or russets.

Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
    Betty Crocker Cookbook (1970 edition)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 lbs. potatoes
    3 Tablespoons butter
    3 Tablespoons flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2-1/2 cups milk
    1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
    1 Tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 350º.

Wash potatoes; peel and remove eyes. Cut potatoes into thin slices to measure about 4 cups.

Melt 3 tablespoons butter in saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour and seasonings. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat; gradually stir in milk. Return saucepan to medium heat. Heat to boiling (takes awhile), stirring constantly. Cook and stir one minute.

In greased 2 quart casserole, arrange potatoes in two layers, topping each with half of onion and half of sauce. Dot with 1 tablespoon butter. Cover tightly with foil; bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 55 to 60 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

(Test potatoes with a fork for tenderness. If potatoes become brown before they are tender, cover dish with foil and return to oven till done.)

*A rectangular 11 X 7 inch dish (2 quart) is the perfect size. If doubling recipe, use an 11 X 13 inch dish.

Option: Sprinkle top with Romano cheese 15 min. before finished.
    Option: Add a bit of red pepper flakes to cream sauce.

Since "the best" is subjective I'll give you my opinion.

Who has the best scalloped potatoes recipe? Well, I'm certain it's mine!

What thickness of potato is best? I prefer as thin as possible so I use my V-slicer

What type of potato? Not particularly fussy and will use russets or yukon golds but usually have russet in the house

Cheese or no cheese? Cheese is a must and preferably Gruyere

milk/half and half/cream? Good days: milk/H&H Bad days: H&H Being really bad: cream
    (and don't tell DH these are scalloped as he hates scalloped!)

What additions makes yours special? Bacon and leeks

* Exported from MasterCook *

Scalloped Potatoes with Leeks

Recipe By :Sue McDougall
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup unsalted butter
    4 cups leeks -- thinly sliced (white and pale green part)
    3 large garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups Gruyere cheese -- grated
    2 cups half-and-half
    1/3 cup Parmesan cheese -- freshly grated
    4 pounds Russet potatoes -- pared and thinly sliced

Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, add leeks and stir to coat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook leeks until tender, about 8 minutes; stirring occasionally. Uncover pan and continue to cook until almost all the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Spray a 9x13x2-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a small bowl mix garlic with the half & half. In layers use 1/2 of the potatoes, all of the leeks, 1/2 gruyere, 1/2 H&H mixture; repeat with potatoes, gruyere and cream. Top with Parmesan.

Bake at 375º for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Interesting. One with a flour sauce without cheese. One with cheese but no flour.

My mom had commented about how good my scalloped potatoes were. Mine is extremely basic but I needed a change.

Scalloped Potatoes

4-5 medium potatoes -- sliced 1/4" thick
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    4 tablespoons butter
    1 1/2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole.

Cover bottom of the casserole with single layer of potatoes.

Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, flour and a few dots of butter.

Repeat until all the potato slices are used.

Pour milk over the potatoes (up to but not completely covering potatoes).

I'm going to attempt a combo tonight. I'll make the sauce for between the layers. I have a little bit of Gruyere so I'll use it on top with some Parmesan. I don't have any leeks but I will use both finely chopped onion and garlic. No cream or half and half but I do have evaporated milk. I might use evaporated milk plus regular milk. Think I'll crisp up some bacon to crumble too. This might totally flop or be super fantastic but either way it will be for me alone tonight. Frankenstein at work!

thickness - as thin as I can slice on my mandoline

type of potato - from garden - whatever is too small to bake and needs to be at least somewhat peeled due to rust - last week it was iditareds

cheese - blend 1 cup cottage cheese till smooth, sometimes add asiago, blue, feta, yo-cheese

milk-cream - use above cottage cheese plus dry milk mixed double strength with water

additions -
    fresh chives, parsley, rosemary (whirled in above water with stick blender till water is green and not grainy), garlic, thinly sliced onions
    dry - Italian seasoning mix

no salt necessary due to cheeses, lots of black pepper
    used olive oil rather than butter

Last week I tried slow cooking them in an oven at 300-350 temps for baked bbq deer ribs and the long slow cook worked really well for the potatoes as well as the ribs.
    Anne

I absolutely love, love this recipe from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) The fennel is very mild once cooked:

Potato-Fennel Gratin
    Copyright, 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All Rights Reserved
    Prep Time: 20 min Inactive Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 1 hr 45 min Level:
    Easy Serves:
    10 servings Ingredients
    2 small fennel bulbs
    1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons good olive oil
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    2 pounds russet potatoes (4 large potatoes)
    2 cups plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
    2 1/2 cups grated Gruyère cheese (1/2 pound)
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter the inside of a 10-by-15-by-2-inch (10-cup) baking dish.

Remove the stalks from the fennel and cut the bulbs in half lengthwise. Remove the cores and thinly slice the bulbs crosswise, making approximately 4 cups of sliced fennel. Saute the fennel and onions in the olive oil and butter on medium-low heat for 15 minutes, until tender.

Peel the potatoes, then thinly slice them by hand or with a mandoline. Mix the sliced potatoes in a large bowl with 2 cups of cream, 2 cups of Gruyère, salt, and pepper. Add the sauteed fennel and onion and mix well.

Pour the potatoes into the baking dish. Press down to smooth the potatoes. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of cream and 1/2 cup of Gruyère and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, until the potatoes are very tender and the top is browned and bubbly. Allow to set for 10 minutes and serve.

I love Barbara Kakfa's recipe for Potato Gratin from her Vegetable Love cookbook. It only has five ingredients (including salt) but it is one of my favorites and tastes like much more than five simple ingredients. I often double it and put it in a 9 X 13 large baking dish.

http://books.google.com/books?id=CMK...gratin&f=false

Thanks for all the great recipes. I must say it turned out a lot more flavorful than my basic recipe. I did cut salt in half since I was adding some cheese and I added a touch of chipotle seasoning with the pepper. I also added some chives on top. I used a mandolin so the potatoes were probably about 1/8" or less. I had assumed it would take less time the thinner the potato slices were. The potatoes weren't cooked through and I had to put it back in for another 20 minutes. That could have been my fault. I couldn't remember what I put the timer on! It did gave me time to prep rest of meal. It's a great recipe to play around with. It's hard to go wrong if like all the ingredients.

Hi dreamer101 - glad your version worked well. I am curious about the amount of chipotle you added. I tried to make a spicy version of scalloped potatoes with jalepaneo slices and it did not work well. Another question - how hot an oven? I've generally cooked the potatoes in a hot oven and was impressed by the results in an low, slow oven.
    Anne

FWIW, my favorite and best recipe I got from FC years ago. It's made in a crockpot, and it's wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer101 View Post
    Interesting. One with a flour sauce without cheese. One with cheese but no flour.

My mom had commented about how good my scalloped potatoes were. Mine is extremely basic but I needed a change.

Scalloped Potatoes

4-5 medium potatoes -- sliced 1/4" thick
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    4 tablespoons butter
    1 1/2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole.

Cover bottom of the casserole with single layer of potatoes.

Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, flour and a few dots of butter.

Repeat until all the potato slices are used.

Pour milk over the potatoes (up to but not completely covering potatoes).
    my mom makes these, but with sliced onions between the layers, (and not worrying about amounts-- flour as needed, butter as needed milk etc.) and hers are my favorite. of course, when i make them, i may add chilies, cheese, garlic or carrots!

but the crockpot horseradish scalloped potatoes from A year of Crockpotting are my new favorite. i do those differently too--

basically, grease a crockpot, and fill with as many chunked potatoes and you want to eat, a clove or so of garlic, add salt to taste (adjust later) and cream to not quite cover, then stir in 3-6 Tbsp prepared horseradish and cook covered on low till tender. i usually start on high and then switch when it's bubbly, bit i'm home all day. it's dreamy creamy and not too spicy, but yum from the horseradish. no flour needed.
    we use a pint of cream and 4-5 good-sized potatoes, with 6 Tbsp. horseradish. a thickly sliced carrot or so is good here too.
    the original calls for sliced taters which cook a little faster but are harder to stir.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Hi dreamer101 - glad your version worked well. I am curious about the amount of chipotle you added. I tried to make a spicy version of scalloped potatoes with jalepaneo slices and it did not work well. Another question - how hot an oven? I've generally cooked the potatoes in a hot oven and was impressed by the results in an low, slow oven.
    It was actually a Chipotle seasoning. I just added 1/4 teaspoon with the black pepper in the sauce. I didn't want to overpower the dish since it already had onions, garlic and cheese.

I put the oven on 350º since all the recipes I've seen here and on the web was that temperature. But it took longer to cook the potatoes through. If I put it higher the cheese on top would have blackened (I think) before potatoes were done.

TheodoraDavid ... I never thought of doing it in a crockpot. That would make a nice creamy dish. Although I do like the top crusting when done in the oven.

heavy hedonist ... In the past I never worried about amounts of flour, salt and pepper. It was better to have leftover flour mix than not enough. I would put it in a shaker so I got nice even coverage between each layer. Doing it in a 1.5 quart casserole the 1 1/2 cup of milk usually worked out just right. I had never put onion in it before. If I go back to original recipe I would definitely add onion.

This is my favorite and it is very easy to put together. No extra pan to make the sauce (I heat the milk in the microwave).

Gratin Dauphinois (Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese)

1 garlic clove, halved
    Cooking spray
    6 peeled red potatoes, cut into 1/8-inch slices (about 2 pounds)
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
    1 cup fat-free milk

Preheat oven to 425°.

Rub an 11 x 7-inch baking dish with cut sides of garlic halves; discard garlic. Coat dish with cooking spray.

Arrange half of potatoes in dish, and drizzle with half of the butter. Sprinkle with half of salt and half of pepper, and top with half of cheese. Repeat the layers.

Bring milk to a boil over low heat in a small saucepan; pour over potato mixture. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender.

Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 228 (24% from fat); FAT 6.7g (sat 2.3g,mono 2.1g,poly 1.2g); IRON 1.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 10mg; CALCIUM 142mg; CARBOHYDRATE 36.6g; SODIUM 262mg; PROTEIN 7.6g; FIBER 3.2g

Cooking Light, JANUARY 2002
    Sue

Women are Angels
    And when someone breaks our wings, our spirit, or our hearts...
    We simply continue to fly.........
    on a broomstick...
    We are flexible like that ....

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer101 View Post

heavy hedonist ... In the past I never worried about amounts of flour, salt and pepper. It was better to have leftover flour mix than not enough. I would put it in a shaker so I got nice even coverage between each layer.
    a brilliant idea! why didn't i think of that? i make my own shaker-full of cinnamon sugar....

I really love the parmesan scalloped potato recipe from The Best Light Recipe. It's on the menu for christmas!