Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I freeze raw chicken breasts?

Can I freeze raw chicken breasts?

My grocery store was completely out of one pound packages of the boneless skinless chicken breasts I buy each week- the kind in the meat section, not frozen. Instead, I had to buy two pounds, which is way more than DH and I need this week. Can I freeze half of the package- thinking this isn't any different from when I buy frozen chicken breasts, but I have absolutely no idea. Suggestions?

Yes you can.

Here are USDA instructions and information about freezing raw chicken. Look in the "How to handle chicken safely" section.

I rarely buy small quantities of meat as the smaller quantities always seem to be more per pound than the larger quantities; ie "Family Pack". When I get home from the store I break them down into smaller packages and freeze that way. Not only do I save money, but I always have something ready for me in the freezer.

Great! Thanks so much everyone!

I do the same as Hammster.
    Buy them on sale or in family packs (for less $$) and then freeze in dinner sized portions.

I actually throw them in marinade too and they are soooooo tasty on the grill! The night before or in the morning I put them in the fridge and cook!

My favorite is teriyaki sauce with ginger, garlic cloves and cilantro! YUM
    I have even just poured Italian dressing over them and frozen them like that. When you defrost and grill they are REALLY moist.

You shouldn't eat meat. Not only is the way they're raised and slaughtered inhumane but its soooo bad for you. If you only knew all the hormones, antibiotics and pesticides you were eating.

Its not your fault though. I blame the American Food and Drug Admin for being corrupt enough to lets the people of this country continue eating this crap just for money. Its all about money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    \

Here are USDA instructions and information about freezing raw chicken. Look in the "How to handle chicken safely" section.
    The USDA doesn't give a crap about your safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Roberts View Post
    You shouldn't eat meat. Not only is the way they're raised and slaughtered inhumane but its soooo bad for you. If you only knew all the hormones, antibiotics and pesticides you were eating.

Its not your fault though. I blame the American Food and Drug Admin for being corrupt enough to lets the people of this country continue eating this crap just for money. Its all about money.

I wish you and your family a happy and joyful Thanksgiving.

Hi Lisa and welcome to the forums.
    I'm interested in discussing your comments, but not in this particular thread. Perhaps you'd care to start a new thread where these topics can be discussed?

Here is how I freeze raw chicken. I cut it into whatever size pieces I want, put each piece into a Ziploc sandwich bag, and put the little bags into a labeled Ziploc gallon bag. The pieces don't dry out and it is easy to retrieve however many pieces I want.

Kay

Probably not the right forum, but it's hard to argue with this statement.

Anyway, we freeze chicken breasts all the time. We probably eat more chicken than any other meat because it's so versatile. I just picked up a vintage Crock-Pot cookbook on Amazon and can't wait to try some of the chicken recipes within!

That's your opinion. I\we happen to like meat. Welcome to the CLBB. Not a good introductory post.

Have you gotten the attention that you are craving yet?

Lame.

-Heather
    Last edited by Angelsfan; 11-24-2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: rewording
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

Yikes! I'm just getting caught up on the board. Had no idea my question would take THAT turn. I actually ended up freezing all the chicken I bought on Sunday as I didn't get around to cooking this week. I feel confident that my freezing method will work well and may just start buying chicken in larger quantities as we, too, eat more chicken than any other meat. I would like to buy organic chicken breasts, but when I looked at the price comparison on Sunday it was just so much more expensive I didn't have it in the budget.