Community Message Boards

Thread: Healthy Baking product from Smuckers

Healthy Baking product from Smuckers

Recently noticed recipe in magazine using "Healthy Baking" product made by Smuckers. Our local food store just stocked this product and I have checked Smucker's website for recipes. Unfortunately they introduce the product in their line listing but have not provided unique recipes for its use as of today. I emailed them and received a call regarding my opinion and hopefully they will have companion or substitution instructions for the recipes on the web.
    Has anyone used this new product and did you find it a good substitute for margarine, oil, butter, etc. ? I am waiting for them to send me recipes and wonder if it will be showcased in Cooking Light soon.

I haven't heard of this, nor have I seen it, but it sounds interesting and something that I would be willing to try.

Please post any recipes or more info. that you receive from Smucker's!

Using the Healthy Baking product is a lot like using applesauce in place of oil in baking recipes. I've used it in <gasp> brownie mixes (is it a crime to admit to mixes in this forum?), and found it makes a denser, moister brownie. I don't recall using it as a substitute in anything from scratch, but it culd just be selective memory at work.

I'm fairly sure that there's a substitution chart on the back of the squeeze bottle that outlines how much you should use. It's not ounce-per-ounce; you would use less of the Healthy Baking than you would oil. Don't recall the exact proportions, though.

Columbus is rather close to Orrville, where Smucker's is located -- plus we're a well-used test market, so the Healthy Baking product isn't new around here at all! I bought it for the first time about two years ago.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

I tried using the Smucker's as the fat replacement when I made oatmeal cookies. (I used the recipe off the Quaker Oats container, and instead of using butter used the substitute.

The cookies tasted okay, but they were sweeter than I liked. They didn't rise much, and were sticky. I think if I tried this again I would use half butter and half replacement, instead of completely eliminating the fat.

The true taste test came from my father, a self proclaimed oatmeal cookie expert. Without telling him anything, I left the cookies on the counter. When he came in he took one bite and said, "Are these healthy or something, they taste different". The cookies didn't go over well with my family.

I am curious to see what results others have achieved.

I am thinking you are talking about a lowfat, fruit based substitute for oil or shortening in recipes, especially baking. Is that right?

That's right, beth. It comes in a squeeze bottle -- I think it's apple-based (if memory serves).
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

It's probably just applesauce in a different container and priced about three times higher!

It's close to a product I've been using for years called "Lighter Bake", which is next to the shortening in grocery aisles. It's fruit-based, mostly prunes, dates, raisins...all those dark, dense fruits! It's got a bit of a 'sludgy' look to it and it's VERY dark, so I can't substitute it for butter in something like chocolate chip cookies, but I can sub it in oatmeal with very little difference in the taste or texture. The substitution ratio is not 1:1 as in using applesauce, I believe it's 2/3 cup Lighter Bake for 1 cup butter or shortening. It has its place, but I wouldn't use it for everything. Personally, I like applesauce better because it's more versatile, and now that I drain the applesauce (Thanks Jan '01 CL!) it also works MUCH better. I say save the money and buy a big jar of applesauce, just make sure you drain it over a strainer for 15-20 minutes first!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

If it's not applesauce, I would think it would be like "Lighter Bake", the fruit-based fat substitute made by Sunsweet. I think it is made from apples, although it looks a bit different than applesauce. There are many recipes that call for Lighter Bake. I must admit, however, I have not liked anything I've tried making with fruit purees as fat substitutes. Even partial substitutions haven't worked well for me. I think it gives the product a "spongy" texture.

I've used unsweetened applesauce many times in baking and everything always turns out great. Think maybe I'll just stick to using that. Now that Lighter Bake was mentioned I'm sure my mom used it in something and we didn't care for it much--made the dessert much sweeter than when she used the oil. So, if the Smucker's is similar to Lighter Bake I don't think I'd try it.

Sunsweet product

Lighter Bake from Sunsweet is made from dried plums, dried apples. The principle of the product is to substitute the fat (butter, margarine, oil or shortening) in a recipe with half the amount of Lighter Bake. In the board a while back they had the Cooking Light prune puree recipe, which yrs ago CL had for the black bottom cheesecake cups. I have used SUnsweet succesfully in baked goods but it seems to be best if used in dark baked goods like brownies, breads, carrot cake etc. For questions or recipes you can call
    1-800-417-2253

I'm an applesauce baker too. When I made zucchini bread earlier this week, I was gagging at the 1 cup of oil (2 cups since I was doubling the recipe), so I used what I had left in a carton of plain nonfat yogurt (about 1/2 -2/3 cup), applesauce and only 1/2 cup of oil. It was great.

Smile "Healthy Baking"

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will use it "experimentally" before I decide to "buy" into the product claims. I also like to use applesauce and if that works better, back to tried and true. Will look for the Sunsweet product to test. I always will try something new once and possibly a second time before I make up my mind of its worthwhile.
    Thanks again! DianaLynn