Community Message Boards

Thread: Organic Milk price?

Organic Milk price?

How much do you pay for a half gallon of organic milk? Just curious, last time I grocery shopped they I think they were $2.99

Around here the regular price for a half gallon of organic milk runs between $4.59 - $4.99 at the grocery store. When the organic brands go on sale, I try to stock up. Whole Foods organic milk runs around $3.99 here. It is expensive, but buying organic milk is a priority for me.

Organic milk ranges from about $3.69 to about $4.15 a half gallon here. ShopRite's brand is cheapest but I often buy Organic Valley or Stonyfield anyway just to support them.

Something to consider: cheeses are also made from treated milk. I buy either Applegate Farms from untreated milk when I can get it, or else I stick to imported cheeses, since they have the good sense not to add hormones and other stuff to their cows' diet.

I also buy nitrite/nitrate-free ham and other lunch meats....

I usually pay $3.39/half. Sometimes I can catch it on sale but we're only talking .20 off.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

I buy it by the gallon, and it ranges from 5.99 on sale to 6.99 not on sale. That's Organic Valley. I want to say the half gallons are 4.99- they don't make chocolate in a full gallon.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Kim- Have you tried Snowville Creamery? It is $2.99/half gal at every grocery store I have seen it at (WF, several Giant Eagle locations, The Hills Market, North Market and all the farmers markets). It is the best milk I have ever had in my entire life. It isn't ultra-pasteurized. Their whipping cream is to die for ($7.99 for half gal usually).
    - Josie

I buy the house brand at Fresh & Easy, which is actually Clover Farms, and it's $3.29/half gallon. It's the cheapest I can find around here.

Quote Originally Posted by avariell View Post
    Kim- Have you tried Snowville Creamery? It is $2.99/half gal at every grocery store I have seen it at (WF, several Giant Eagle locations, The Hills Market, North Market and all the farmers markets). It is the best milk I have ever had in my entire life. It isn't ultra-pasteurized. Their whipping cream is to die for ($7.99 for half gal usually).
    I can't recall seeing it Josie. Thanks for the heads up. I will look harder for it. Most of the time at my Giant Eagle the only choice is theirs or Organic Valley (but that has been hit or miss) and Horizon which I wouldn't take if they were giving it away.

Anyone know a good way to find out where the grocery store brands get theirs?

I buy the store brand, which always seems to taste fresher and last longer than the other brands, and it's usually around $3.50 for a half gallon. Occasionally it goes down to $2.50 on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by donleyk View Post
    I can't recall seeing it Josie. Thanks for the heads up. I will look harder for it. Most of the time at my Giant Eagle the only choice is theirs or Organic Valley (but that has been hit or miss) and Horizon which I wouldn't take if they were giving it away.

Anyone know a good way to find out where the grocery store brands get theirs?
    Not really. I've been able to find some info online but it's not easy. Fresh & Easy's house brand organic milk used to actually say on the carton that the source was Clover Farms, but it doesn't actually say that anymore.

I did find this article:

http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia...paign_KEY=4756

which says that Aurora Organic supplies the house brand organic milk for Costco, Safeway, High Meadows, Giant, and Wild Oat. Sounds like Aurora isn't any better than Horizon.

If you have a specific store house brand you're looking for, with some poking around, you might be able to find the source online.

ETA:

I also found http://www.nodpa.com/in_retail_dollar.shtmlthis article, which says that Stop & Shop's Nature's Promise brand is also Aurora. The chart at the bottom of the article is helpful.
    Last edited by aggie94; 12-01-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Thanks for the info Aggie. I'm really worried that Horizon or the other big producers are behind the store brands.

I too buy the Organic Valley Milk--at Whole Foods, and I think it's around $4-5 per half gallon. I actually only buy milk at the store when I'm out. (And then I always culture it.) Normally, I buy raw milk from a local farmer--lately I've been getting goat's milk. Even though it's not organic and the local farmers may give the cows/goats some questionable grains, I still consider local, raw milk superior to organic store-bought milk.

At least you know that there are no hormones, and probably no antibiotics, involved. We used to sell raw goat's milk too, years ago. When I had a surplus I made cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    At least you know that there are no hormones, and probably no antibiotics, involved. We used to sell raw goat's milk too, years ago. When I had a surplus I made cheese.
    Neat. Yeah, I love the cheese. Too bad you don't sell the milk anymore.

Having to milk twice a day was not fun, although it was neat to have the results!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    Having to milk twice a day was not fun
    I bet. I've even thought of buying goats myself, but then I realize that I wouldn't have time to milk them. And when you want to go on vacation, it's probably not real easy to pack them up and load 'em in the car.

It was $2.79 at Kroger last week...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I pay around $3.79 for a half gallon of 1% Organic Valley milk.
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

I pay $3.75 for Organic Valley, 1/2 gallon, at Wegmans.

I'm guess I shouldn't complain about my $2.99! I just started buying organic milk and was suffering from sticker shock a little bit! The gallons of NON organic milk I was buying were 1.99, and we go through a crazy amount of milk! But I know it's what's best! Darm hormones and pesticides!

I've never seen it for $2.99/half-gallon! Yesterday I paid $3.00 for a half gallon of Clover-Stornetta at Whole Foods. Their dairies dot the countryside in Marin and Sonoma counties, so it's local and they buy from a lot of family farms - no hormones (even in their non-organic milk) and no ultra-pasteurizing. WF store brand is $3.29 and is very good, but for the same price you can buy the cream top stuff from Trader Joe's, which is also local but much better. Some people have speculated that it's actually Straus Family Creamery under TJ's labeling, and Straus is fantastic: Cowgirl makes their cheese from Straus milk, and a number of the boutique ice-cream shops buy from them as well. I love the way these small businesses support one another
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

What is the controversy with Horizon? That is usually what I buy. Either that or Meijer or TJ brand. Depends where I am at, and often Horizon is the only brand that has 1% (usually only a choice of 2 brands, if that...Kroger, Meijer, Busch's and TJ in MI).

I seem to recall that the biggest objections were that they engage in factory farming and that their products are not 100% organic. But to be honest, I don't recall much more than that. It's the most expensive and only non-local brand I know of available here, and I think the ultra-pasteurization is not so good for the flavor, but I've never had it.

Quote Originally Posted by aggie94 View Post
    FWIW, Cornucopia Institute's milk ratings:

http://www.cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/index.html

I appreciate the link! I've been buying Stoneyfield, because it's located less than a half hour from my house. I'm happy that it received a 4 cow-rating It does say "yogurt" next to the stoneyfield name, but I'm hoping that the milk is 4 cows too!

Stonyfield milk shows up under the 3-cow rating, which is still "very good."

Today when I did my weekly marketing at ShopRite they had Organic Valley for $2.99 the half gallon; I stocked up! That's the lowest I've ever seen it!

Quote Originally Posted by aggie94 View Post
    FWIW, Cornucopia Institute's milk ratings:

http://www.cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/index.html
    Additional thanks for posting this link. It's what I've been wanting to see.

I'm not surprised to see the store brands on the bottom. Sad but not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by donleyk View Post
    I'm not surprised to see the store brands on the bottom. Sad but not surprised.
    But it helps to read the actual profiles, esp. the store brands that received 2-cow ratings. For those, the Institute had this to say:

Even though none of the two cow rated–brands responded to our survey request, we were able to determine that these brands were, at the time of our research, buying organic milk from highly rated sources. We conducted our research in this area through interviews with a number of industry sources and through federally maintained records.

If these companies want to truly express a commitment to organics, and communicate this tangibly to their customer base, we would encourage them to specify on their label what dairy farmers and cooperatives they are "partnering with."

So it sounds like the 2-cow rated store brands would receive higher ratings IF the stores would respond to the survey and specify on the label the source of the milk. I'm still comfortable buying these, but not as much the 0 and 1-cow rated brands.

It definitely sounds like they've done their homework, but I always wonder about national brands since I assume different regions have different sources? There are loads of dairies around here and as noted above, TJ's brand (1 cow) is identical to Straus Family Farm (4 cows) and is outstanding. The same brand sold in Massachusetts, Oregon and Alabama isn't going to have the same milk source, is it?