Community Message Boards

Thread: Why do my hamburgers end up like meatballs?

Why do my hamburgers end up like meatballs?

I have tried the indent in the middle thing, but they still puff up way too much for my liking. What am I doing wrong?
    Karen

Smashburgers

It's funny you should bring this up because I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. We just got a Smashburger here in town and finally got a chance to try it this last week end. They have the kind of old fashioned skinny burger that I really like. Here's a tutorial I found that may kind of explain the technique: http://thepauperedchef.com/2008/12/t...erfection.html.

I haven't tried it yet but likely will sometime soon. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Trish N.
    Omaha, NE
    "I'm not as sweet as I used to be" Ouiser Boudreaux - "Steel Magnolias" 1989

Yep, what it says in the link Trish posted.

I spent 9 years waiting tables and cooking in a greasy spoon. We shaped the hamburger into balls, tossed them on the hot grill and smacked them flat with the spatula. And if they're still too fat when you flip them, smash them down a bit more.
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

What type of ground beef are you using? 80/20 is the best for burgers...
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Quote Originally Posted by jellyben View Post
    I have tried the indent in the middle thing, but they still puff up way too much for my liking. What am I doing wrong?

The only time I have trouble like this is when I grill outside. I use a brick wrapped in tinfoil as a press. You might try using a cast iron press like this one.

Cast iron grill press

That's funny b/c mine end up flat, skinny & squished & I hate it! I want them to be thick and puffier. Maybe we should just swap burgers?!

OK I am going to make a burger for lunch and try this smashing technique. Also, I tend to use 90/10 meat so will use 80/20.

Thanks!
    Karen

I use my mom's old hamburger press when making burgers. No need to smash when grilling.

Looks exactly like this one, except mine is worn from use.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=10597795

Is that what that is, a hamburger press? I've got one of those around here somewhere. Didn't know what it was and I don't think anybody ever used it. Mom had it in a drawer when I was a kid and it was in with their kitchen stuff when I moved dad in with me last fall.

There's some sort of a white thing around here somewhere too that I thought might be a hamburger press, except it looks like it pokes holes in them.

Now I'm hungry for a good hamburger and it's too cold to grill here
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

Tovie - that white thing with holes is most likely a hamburger press also. Mine is exactly like that.
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

Quote Originally Posted by Trishinomaha View Post
    It's funny you should bring this up because I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. We just got a Smashburger here in town and finally got a chance to try it this last week end. They have the kind of old fashioned skinny burger that I really like. Here's a tutorial I found that may kind of explain the technique: http://thepauperedchef.com/2008/12/t...erfection.html.

I haven't tried it yet but likely will sometime soon. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    My family is addicted to Smashburger! It's the Smashfries, really that gets me, but anytime we head to the Twin Cities, we must stop in for burgers, smashfries and malts. Mmm.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!