Community Message Boards

Thread: Soup and Bread Dinner Night over Christmas

Soup and Bread Dinner Night over Christmas

So gang, I'm in charge of a night meal for our family Christmas. I'm the only vegetarian, the rest of the family is not. There are already enough meals devoted to meat, with one day for my baked ziti/lasagna (which I will probably end up eating for the rest of the meals). I'm trying to think of something I can make that is vegetarian, tastes good (duh!) and is easy to make since I'll want to spend as much time as I can with my baby niece.

Any ideas? I'm tossing around Honey Beer Bread and am thinking two soups...possibly a tomato and....?

Ideas? Tried and Trues? Can't say I've made a lot of soup in my day, and the ones I have made are soups that my family would probably never try.

Thanks!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

I've made a few

Here's a vegetarian soup that's not conspicuously so. I'm sure I can come up with others if you can give me an idea of what the sorts are that you say your family would never eat.

Very Creamy Vegetable Chowder

From Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special by The Moosewood Collective
    (Clarkson Potter; October, 1999)

This is a crowd-pleasing Moosewood standard. There is nothing more appealing and satisfying than a sweet, fresh vegetables in a smooth, saucy Cheddar and cream cheese base: it's food that makes you feel safe and sound and well cared for.

This soup is sweet and mild and filled with enough vegetables for one meal, so serve it with a peppery little salad for contrast.

Serves 8 to 10
    Yields 11 cups
    Total time: 50 minutes

2 cups chopped onions
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon canola or other vegetable oil
    2 celery stalks, diced
    1 cup peeled and diced carrots
    1 1/2 cups diced potatoes
    3 cups water or Basic Light Vegetable Stock
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
    1 cup diced zucchini
    1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 cups milk
    1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
    2 ounces Neufchatel or cream cheese
    In a large soup pot on medium heat, sauté the onions in the butter and oil for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the celery, cover, and cook until just soft, stirring occasionally. Add the carrots, potatoes, water or stock, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil; then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. With a strainer or slotted spoon, remove about 1 1/2 cups of the cooked vegetables and set aside in a blender or food processor.

Add the green beans, bell peppers, and zucchini to the soup pot and cook until the green beans are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the peas and parsley, simmer for 2 more minutes, and then remove from the heat. Discard the bay leaf.

Puree the reserved vegetables with the milk and cheeses to make a smooth sauce. Stir the sauce into the soup and gently reheat. Serve hot.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I really like this soup and it is SUPER easy to make. I forgot to record who on the CLBB posted it (a big thanks to the person who posted it). I've made it a few times and I often sub vidalia onion if I don't have leeks. I don't know if they would go for the topping -- but it really makes it.

Roasted Pear-Butternut Soup with Crumbled Stilton from Eating Well Magazine

Stilton cheese and pears are a classic combination—the salty milky blue cheese balances the sweet, floral taste of the pears. Roasting the pears and the butternut squash caramelizes their sugar, maximizing their inherent sweetness. You can serve this creamy soup as a first course or with a salad and crusty bread for a light autumn supper.

2 ripe pears, peeled, quartered and cored
    2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch chunks
    2 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered
    1 large leek, pale green and white parts only, halved lengthwise, sliced and washed thoroughly --- used a Vidalia onion
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    4 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
    2/3 cup crumbled Stilton or other blue-veined cheese
    1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh chives or scallion greens (I didn’t use)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
    2. Combine pears, squash, tomatoes, leek, garlic, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat. Spread evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 40 to 55 minutes. Let cool slightly.
    3. Place half the vegetables and 2 cups broth in a blender; puree until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan. Puree the remaining vegetables and 2 cups broth. Add to the pan and stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
    4. Cook the soup over medium-low heat, stirring, until hot, about 10 minutes. Divide among 6 bowls and garnish with cheese and chives (or scallion greens).

Per serving: 236 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrate; 6 g protein; 6 g fiber; 721 mg sodium; 721 mg potassium.
    Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (350% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Calcium (20% dv).

Comments from the person that posted it. This was very good. Made the house smell great while I was roasting the veggies. Easy, just cutting up veggies and pears.
    First time I've used stilton cheese. Wow, if you like blue cheese you'll love this stuff. Very creamy!

To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Add more broth when reheating, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings, 1 1/3 cups each
    Active Time: 35 minutes
    Total Time: 1 1/4 hours
    Ease of preparation: Easy

Here's one of our favorites - Potato, Spinach and Tomato Soup from Rachael Ray. I believe that Jodi originally posted to the BB several years ago. The prep is so quick, and it makes a LARGE pot - at least 10 main dish servings if not more IMO.

You could always offer some chopped rotisserie chicken or slices of sauteed chicken sausage on the side for meat eaters to add as desired.

Potato, Spinach and Tomato Soup

Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Show: 30 Minute Meals
    Cook Time:20 min
    Level: Easy
    Yield: 4 servings (ha - at least 10 servings!)

Ingredients

3 cloves crushed or finely chopped garlic
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 quarts chicken broth (I always sub veg broth)
    3 pounds all purpose potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 pound fresh triple washed spinach, stems picked and coarsely chopped
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated or ground
    Salt and pepper
    1 (28-ounce) can chunky-style crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes in puree
    1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano

Directions

In a deep pot, saute garlic and onion in oil for 2 or 3 minutes. Add broth and bring liquid to a boil. As you slice potatoes, add them carefully to the broth. Cook potatoes 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The potatoes will begin to break up and thicken broth as the soup cooks. Stir in spinach in bunches as it wilts into soup. Season soup with nutmeg, salt and pepper, to your taste. Stir in tomatoes and heat through, 1 or 2 minutes. Remove pot from the stove to a trivet. Stir grated cheese into your soup and serve.

Good question, Canice! I have posted the question to the family and will give more info when I have it.

Thanks for what you've posted so far, everyone! I guess the one thing I don't think most would eat would be the one with Pear and Stilton. That would probably scare my parents (But I think it would be delicious!) Still, please keep posting your favorite/easy to make soups, and I'll let you know more as I find out more!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Erin --

I've never made this.... but I've seen many on the BB talk about a Baked Potato Soup. That just came to mind since I think of it as a soup that most would like.

I know there are tons of varieties posted on the BB, but don't know which are the biggest winners.

I was going to suggest potato soup too. The recipe I make calls for bacon to be sprinkled on top, but I don't really like bacon so unless I have company, I usually skip it. If you are interested, I can find the recipe and post it.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Wow, my two favorite (and extremely different) challenges in one evening! (This and Armel's Christmas indulgence.)

OK, I've got my soup binder out and my Moosewood Daily Specials. Let's see if anything leaps out at me (and you). NB some are not vegetarian but very easily adapted; i.e., there may be bacon or chicken stock but that's about it.

My file
    Chile-Cheese Chowder
    Poblano-Corn Soup
    Butternut Squash and Roasted-Garlic Bisque
    Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup w/Cheesy-Garlic Croutons
    Wisconsin Native's Beer Cheese Soup
    Creamy Porcini Barley Soup
    White Bean, Kale and Roasted Vegetable Soup
    Broccoli-Cheddar Chowder
    Smokey Black Bean and Vegetable Soup
    Thai Butternut Squash Soup
    Mushroom Chowder
    Alice Waters' Winter Minestrone

Moosewood selections
    Curried Cauliflower
    Golden Summer Soup
    Baked Bean Soup
    Texas Two-Bean Soup
    Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
    Cauliflower, Cheese, and Tomato Soup
    Creamy Onion and Fontina Soup
    Very Creamy Vegetable Chowder
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

LauraB posted a California Dreaming Baked Potato soup here ages ago. I make a variation of it quite often - never made the original that I can recall but I imagine it's good.

Here's another good soup, from Cooking Light:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1696601

(Golden Winter Soup with gruyere toasts)

Or a cheddar beer soup, such as one of the ones in Canice's list, since you're in WI?
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

How about a Pasta Fagioli soup? I came across a recipe for one the other day in one of my slowcooker books that sounded so good and easy! Plus, I think with pasta in it it would appeal to many and no one would miss the meat. Served with warm garlic bread and a salad...yum!
    What's On Your Plate Today?
    Find Inspiration and Get Organized at My Blog!
    Meal Planning Magic
    Find Me On Facebook & Twitter Too!

You could do a veggie version of Rebecca T's tortilla soup-my all time favorite! I never put the chicken in...I do add corn and black beans as well as a squeeze of lime...you could sub veggie broth for chicken...serve it with quesadilla's on the side...or corn muffins...

Sheila in MD

The CL Baked Potato Soup is so good and easy. We top it with bacon crumbles, but you could leave those off.

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    LauraB posted a [b]

Here's another good soup, from Cooking Light:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1696601

(Golden Winter Soup with gruyere toasts)
    I was going to post this as it's my new favorite this year. I made it for Soup Night and it received rave reviews. Then we had it to go along with our CL cookie exchage and everyone loved it. So easy and very flavorful.

Shelley
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

My DH and I are not vegetarians but at least half of our meals are vegetarian. Two of our favorite soups are CL's Baked Potato Soup, and CL's Broccoli Cheese Soup. We love both of them and have them regularly in the fall and winter. Several times, we've had people over and served one or the other along with a salad and crusty bread. I totally "cream" the Broccoli Cheese Soup, instead of just half of it because my DH will not eat "chunks" of broccoli, but he loves this soup!

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."