Community Message Boards

Thread: Boneless Rib Eye Roast tips?

Boneless Rib Eye Roast tips?

I have never made a boneless rib eye roast before. Holiday dinner is just hubby and I, didn't want to do anything huge, but he wanted medium rare roast beef. I've always done a sirloin tip roast or eye of round and sliced it thin.

Sale today on Boneless Rib Eye Roast, I got a four pounder. I'm assuming that I should cook it the same way I would any other roast, but I usually do them in the Showtime Rotisserie instead of in the oven. The only issue with the rotisserie is that I can't keep a digital thermometer probe in the meat while it's spinning.

Any tips on this one? Any special recipes? Rotisserie or should I just do it in the oven?
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I'm doing a bone-in rib roast and I'll make a paste of mince garlic, fresh minced rosemary and some mustard to spread on the fat cap.
    I always cook roasts, large cuts of meat like that at 325F for roughly 15-20 minutes per lb. Be sure the roast is out of the fridge for 30 minutes, so it can start to come to room temp, before putting it in the oven. Then cook to desired degree of doneness per your meat thermometer. I think medium rare is around 145 internal temp. So, you could pull it at 140, cover loosely with foil and let it rest a good 15 minutes or so.

I just discovered a recipe for prime rib that sounds like it would be perfect. It allows for the meat to be the same level of doneness from edge to center, instead of the well-done outsides with just a little medium rare center. Here it is:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Perfect Prime Rib

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 standing rib roast (prime rib) -- 3-12 pounds (see note above)
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to lowest possible temperature setting, 150°F or greater (some ovens can't hold a temperature below 200°F). Season roast generously with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Place roast, with fat cap up, on v-rack set in large roasting pan. Place in oven and cook until center of roast registers 120°F on an instant-read thermometer for medium-rare, or 135°F for medium. In a 150°F oven, this will take around 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours. In a 200°F oven, this will take 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

2. Remove roast from oven and tent tightly with aluminum foil. Place in a warm spot in the kitchen and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes, and up to an hour and a half. Meanwhile, preheat oven to highest possible temperature setting (500°F to 550°F)

3. 10 minutes before guests are ready to be served, remove foil, and place roast back in hot oven and cook until well-browned and crisp on the exterior, 6-10 minutes. Remove from oven, carve, and serve immediately.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This recipe works for prime rib roasts any size from 2 ribs to 6 ribs. Plan on 1 pound of bone-in roast per guest (each rib adds 1.5 to 2 pounds to the roast). For best results, use a dry-aged, prime grade or grass-fed roast.
    To further improve the crust, allow it to air-dry, uncovered in the refrigerator on a rack overnight before roasting. Seasoning with salt up to a day in advance will help the seasoning penetrate the meat more deeply. If timing goes off and your roast is ready long before your guests are, the roast can be re-heated by placing in a 200°F oven for 45 minutes before continuing with step 2.

I am doing a 7-bone rib roast (prime!) and will be seasoning with Montreal Steak Seasoning and doing the 500º method. This puppy weighs 18.45 pounds!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by gperls View Post
    I just discovered a recipe for prime rib that sounds like it would be perfect. It allows for the meat to be the same level of doneness from edge to center, instead of the well-done outsides with just a little medium rare center.
    My DW enjoys her meat a little more done than I do, so the slightly more done outer parts are perfect for her. And the majority of the meat will be medium rare so it works out really well for both of us.

Not sure how a Showtime oven works - but you'll want those pan drippings to make au jus to serve with the meat.

Plus maybe some horseradish sour cream sauce on the side.

I'm doing a boneless rib eye roast that I'm dry aging in the fridge. Christmas will be day 18 of the dry aging process, not including the 3 days from purchase to starting the process.

I plan to lightly oil then coat the exterior with a Montreal-style steak seasoning (specifically Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks). I'm thinking of doing a quick sear in my cast iron skillet then finishing either in the oven or on the Big Green Egg at 300 degrees until 120 internal, followed by a 15-20 minute rest while I make the au jus. DH and I both like medium to medium-rare end cuts, so the quick sear with a low and slow roast should help achieve that.

Michelle

Thanks to all of you. I realized after I posted this thread that I basically had what we've always called a Prime Rib Roast without the ribs.

After reading countless recipes and reviews I think I'm going with a 'foolproof' method posted on allrecipes that basically calls for seasoning the roast on the outside, onto a rack, then 1 hour in a 375* oven, turn oven OFF for 3 hours and then turn oven back on to 375* for 30-40 minutes to finish cooking and reheat right before serving. It's supposedly really hard to mess up, but we'll soon find out.

The recipe is for a 5 lb bone-in, and I have a 4 lb NO bone. I know that boneless meats usually cook faster, so I think I'm going for 45 minute cook time and then turn oven off. I'm keeping my digital thermometer in the entire time. Some reviewers said that the method was fabulous but there was no real aus jus, so many poured beef broth and wine in the bottom of the pan under the rack and then reduced it on top of the stove.
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~