Community Message Boards

Thread: Do you have a microwave/convection oven?

Do you have a microwave/convection oven?

I will be remodeling the kitchen on a home I'm buying and it has a smaller kitchen. I really want to have a double oven, but the kitchen designer could only fit a regular oven on the bottom with a microwave/convection oven on top....no room for a separate microwave.
    Does anyone have this combo and how do you like it? Is there a brand that you would recommend?

Everyone has so much experience here that I thought it was the best place to ask for opinions.

TIA

We have a Sharp, model 1870, in our motorhome. It's 7 years old and is the over-the-range style, but the technology is the same.

I'm waiting for my GE Profile regular micro in the house to die so I can replace it with a Sharp. While I already have a double oven, I would love to have convection capability when I wanted to bake something smaller, like just a couple of cookies. It's actually quite a convenient little oven. Its sensor microwave cooking works quite well, a little better than our GE micro.

I did not like the Advantium that GE offers because you could not turn off the turntable, so you can't use it for larger pans.

BTW, I would make sure that the microwave is actually a separate unit (for replaceability) from the regular oven. Some manufacturers make a combination stack where there's a microwave above a thermal oven, but they share the chassis and/or electronic control panel. If/when the microwave has issues, you may be looking at a very costly repair rather than a less expensive replacement because the two ovens are packaged together. Whereas most "built-in" separate microwaves are actually countertop models with a trim kit added.

Michelle

I have a GE Profile microwave/convection oven combo (NOT the Advantium) but not because I went out of my way to get that. I needed a micro with specific dimensions and features and the one I chose just so happened to also have convection. I've had it for 3 1/2 years and I've been quite happy with it's performance until recently when the magnetron tube crashed on it. That would have been a $275 part but fortunately that part had a 9 year warranty and was covered. I asked the service guys who came out if this was known to happen with this model (a JEB-something, I can't remember the model #) and they said no. Since I've had cheapo microwaves that went on forever 3 1/2 years seemed awfully soon for this to happen.

I would suggest you have a look at the appliance or kitchens forums over on gardenweb if you haven't already as most of the folks over there are in the process of building kitchens or complete homes and will be up on the latest scuttlebut:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

I had a Sharp microwave/convention oven; when it died, we replaced it with a microwave that didn't have convection because I hadn't used it that much. Turns out, I'd used it more than I thought, and I miss it. Especially during the holidays or company dinners, when I want to cook things at different temps. BYW, both were over-the-range models.

I have a Dacor. It works well. It isn't as wide as a normal oven so I can't fit everything I'd like to in it. My turntable doesn't stop, instead you take it out and put a metal shelf (or 2 to make 2 racks) in for larger items.

Thanks everyone. Since this combo is something that I've never looked into before I may have to look again at where I can put a microwave. I really wanted the size of a double oven and this sounds like I can only put smaller items in it. Although as BarbaraL said I may just need it for holidays and company. Didn't think about them not be the same unit and having them separate for cost reasons down the road.
    Looks like I have some work ahead....