Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with cooked frozen shrimp?

What to do with cooked frozen shrimp?

I accidentally purchased a bag of cooked frozen shrimp. I only ever buy uncooked frozen shrimp for use in recipes.

I now have a 2lb. bag of cooked frozen shrimp and have no idea how to use them. Any suggestions would be really helpful. Can I use them in recipes like I usually do? I would appreciate any help.

My first thought is that they would be good in a Gumbeaux recipe....err......gumbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis91 View Post
    I accidentally purchased a bag of cooked frozen shrimp. I only ever buy uncooked frozen shrimp for use in recipes.

I now have a 2lb. bag of cooked frozen shrimp and have no idea how to use them. Any suggestions would be really helpful. Can I use them in recipes like I usually do? I would appreciate any help.
    If the recipes are such that you can put the shrimp in at the end and cook for 1-2 minutes, go ahead and use them. We do that for our Spicy Shrimp w/ Aglia Olio recipe! (my favorite!)
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Thank you so much for your replies. I was thinking that I might be able to add them into a shrimp taco recipe I make, as you add in the shrimp right at the end.

LakeMartinGal, would you mind posting the Spicy Shrimp recipe you referred to in your post? It sounds delicious.

I make CL's Skillet Chicken Aglio y Olio recipe. I am wondering if it is similiar.

Thank you once again! I really appreciate all the help!

Just thaw them, and as mentioned, add them at the end and don't cook as long. You can also eat them plain with cocktail sauce too. I LOVE shrimp!!

Toss them in a pasta dish. I often use a little alfredo, some canned artichoke hearts, diced tomatos and shrimp tossed in whatever pasta. With some red pepper flakes.

Or I second shrimp cocktail.

Last year (?) sometime CL had a caribbean shrimp salad (with mango and avocado) that uses cooked shrimp. It's one of DH's favorite dishes.
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh37 View Post
    Last year (?) sometime CL had a caribbean shrimp salad (with mango and avocado) that uses cooked shrimp. It's one of DH's favorite dishes.
    I made that for a SCGOTW a couple of weeks ago! I'm still craving it, and I had to use dried mango... It was fantastic!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis91 View Post

Hi Dennis, same thing here. Publix had frozen extra large shrimp on sale and someone had stocked the area with cooked and DH did not notice. The other day I took some of them and just dipped them in brown butter. It was nice not to have to mess with the shells. For the heck of it tho I checked my cooked shrimp recipes and so many of them say cooked or uncooked, so they are almost interchangeable in a lot of different type of recipes. Salads, jambalaya, dips, stir-frys, scampis, gazpacho, seafood cakes, chowder, pizzas, shrimp rolls, sandwiches, fritters and a lot more. Here are a couple of ideas.

Shrimp Marinated with Capers and Olive Oil

6 servings

1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    3/4 cup white wine vinegar
    1/4 cup capers with brine
    1/4 sugar
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
    1 tsp dry mustard
    3 bay leaves
    1 garlic clove, pressed
    2 lbs. cooked peeled medium shrimp
    1 onion, thinly sliced
    Nicoise olives
    Lemon slices

Mix first 9 ingredients in large bowl. Add shrimp and onion and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight. Transfer shrimp with marinade to serving bowl. Garnish with olives and lemon. Set bowl with shrimp into large bowl filled with ice and serve.

Source: Bon Appetit - August 1991

Shrimp De Jonghe

Serves 4-6

1 clove garlic
    3/4 cup butter-room temp.
    1 TB chopped onion
    1 TB chopped parsley
    1/4 cup dry sherry
    paprika
    salt
    24 large shrimp, cooked, shelled, deveined
    1 cup dry bread crumbs

Crush garlic to a pulp in butter. Heat until melted, then remove from heat. Add onions, parsley, sherry, paprika and a little salt. Toss shrimp in this mixture to coat well. Arrange in buttered shallow casserole. Sprinkle crumbs on top. Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through.

Source: "Hot on the Trail" CB-Lincoln, Ill. Swim Team-Judy Karwoski

Enjoy!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe Latte View Post
    Just thaw them, and as mentioned, add them at the end and don't cook as long. You can also eat them plain with cocktail sauce too. I LOVE shrimp!!
    me too, me too

Dennis, if you need a easy homemade cocktail sauce, here is one.

Cocktail Sauce

1 cup catsup
    2 TB prepared horseradish-use more or less depending on how "hot" your horseradish is
    2 tsp lemon juice
    1 TB Tequila
    Lemon wedges

Mix first four ingredients together and spoon the sauce equally over the shrimp and celery. Serve garnished with lemon wedges or slices.

Source: The Tequila Cookbook - 1993

Shrimp salad is always tasty! I don't know where you are, Dennis, but crab is in season on the west coast, and a shrimp and crab sandwich on sourdough is soooooo good!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

every people in different country must have their own way to handle frozen shrimp and I should try what you offer here Canice,

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Here I was worried that the shrimp would go to waste, and now I have so many recipes to try. I knew I could count on all of you experts out there.

Can't wait to try all the recipes! Thank you once again.

I would avoid using pre-cooked shrimp for preparations that depend on texture and taste. I have found the ones I have eaten to be inferior to a one prepared at home properly.

That said, I do think they can work in a shrimp salad since they are chopped and flavored or other similar recipes in which the use of jumbo raw shrimp might be a waste.

ETA -- Either one of these Shrimp Bisque recipes might be a good use since the shrimp are pureed and texture isn't that much of a problem. Logistically one could cook the shrimp stock from another batch of shell on shrimp and then freeze until ready to make the Bisque -- or the Butternut Shrimp Bisque doesn't call for the use of shrimp stock.

When I made the Butternut Shrimp Bisque I used canned evaporated skim milk in lieu of cream to save calories and cut down on fat.

Rustic Shrimp Bisque
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: NY Times
    Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

1 lb. medium or large uncooked shrimp, shelled, shells reserved
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, more to taste
    2/3 cup dry white wine
    2 tablespoons brandy
    3 thyme sprigs
    1 bay leaf
    2 celery ribs, chopped
    2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 fennel bulb, finely chopped, fronds reserved for garnish
    1/4 cup long-grain rice
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    Pinch cayenne
    Freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste

Directions:

1. In a large pot over high heat, cook shrimp shells in 1 tablespoon butter and

1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring frequently, until lightly browned in spots, about 3 minutes. Add wine and brandy and boil until most of the liquid is evaporated. Add 6 cups water, thyme and bay leaf and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Strain shrimp stock into a bowl, pressing on shells before discarding them.

2. In same pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add shrimp and sauté until they are pink, 2 to 4 minutes depending on size. Using a slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to a bowl.

3. Add remaining 3 tablespoons butter to pot along with celery, leeks, garlic and fennel and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice, tomato paste, cayenne and remaining salt and sauté for 2 minutes. Add shrimp stock and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.

4. Set aside 4 to 6 nice-looking shrimp and stir remainder into bisque; let cook for 2 minutes. Working carefully and in batches, pour bisque into a blender and process to a smooth purée or pulse to a chunky mixture, as you like. (You may use an immersion blender to purée soup.) Return bisque to pot. Stir in the lemon juice and additional salt to taste. Reheat if necessary before serving. Garnish each bowl with a shrimp and a piece of fennel frond.

Curried Butternut Shrimp Bisque
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Southern Living

Ingredients:

1 lb. unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 large yellow onion, chopped
    1 (3-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    3 (14.5-ounce) cans chicken broth, divided
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 cup whipping cream
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
    Garnishes: whipping cream, paprika

Directions:

Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired. Set aside.

Melt butter in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to medium; add squash, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until tender.

Add 1 can broth, shrimp, curry, and thyme, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Let cool slightly.

Process mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.

Return mixture to saucepan; add remaining broth, and bring to a boil. Stir in 1 cup whipping cream, salt, and pepper; reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes. Garnish, if desired.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf