Community Message Boards

Thread: Is My Feta Still Good?

Is My Feta Still Good?

I have an opened container of feta cheese in the fridge with a sell by date of January 10th. I wanted to use it in some couscous tonight. It's peppered, but I can't see any distinguishable signs of mold and it still smells OK.

Is it still OK to eat? I'm not one to necessarily go by "sell by" dates, but this is almost 2 months past.

I've been ignoring sell-by dates for the most part. If it passed the smell/obvious mold test, I'd say go for it! What's the worst that can happen????

Kate

Cheese actually has a really long shelf live, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was still good after 2 months, as long as it was wrapped well. I'd maybe trim off the outsides, which might be mushy, to be safe. The smell & visual test is key!

Thanks for your opinions. I'm going to go ahead and use it. I feel sure there would be some sign of spoilage if it wasn't good.

I might be too late, but you should taste a little bit. I had some feta last summer that looked and smelled OK so I put it in my mac& cheese. Well, it was not OK and I could not eat it. I am sure I would have lived to tell the tale, but it was icky.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Feta should actually be stored in a brine. When I bring it home, I put it in a tupperware, salt it liberally and then add water to cover. These are the instructions that the owner of the Middle Eastern store gave me the first time I bought feta cheese, it works great. Set up that way, it will keep for a very long time.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Ooh - good to know about the brine! Feta in those little plastic tubs always look yucky to me with the liquid floating in it. I guess they're supposed to have the liquid. Who knew!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy B View Post
    Feta should actually be stored in a brine. When I bring it home, I put it in a tupperware, salt it liberally and then add water to cover. These are the instructions that the owner of the Middle Eastern store gave me the first time I bought feta cheese, it works great. Set up that way, it will keep for a very long time.
    Hey thanks this is helpful! I am buying more next time I am in Columbus!
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/