Community Message Boards

Thread: Best casseroles for freezing?

Best casseroles for freezing?

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I couldn't find anything super useful. Any recipe or book suggestions or links appreciated!

As noted elsewhere, once a month I make a vegetarian casserole on Wednesday evening and drop it off for someone on Thursday. Owing to a new commute, I don't see how to make that work, so I was thinking I could make it on the weekend -or sooner- and it could be stored in the freezer. But I have no idea which casseroles freeze best, which are best avoided, etc. Also, I seem to recall that they typically go straight from freezer to oven: is that right? (If so, how on earth do you know how long to bake?)

Thanks for any help.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I like CL's Hearty Lasagna, which I make with soy crumbles. I allow a few hours out of the freezer, then bake for up to an extra hour before serving.

HTH

ps -- new commute? new job??????
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Thanks, Kay, that's just what I'm looking for. I'm wondering if they'll have extra time for baking. I.e., time between getting home and serving. Hmm. Oh, and what about this classic (for me)? Would it freeze well?

Brown Rice Casserole
    From The Greens Cookbook

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/3 c Brown rice
    Half block of tofu
    1 lg Onion
    2 medium carrots
    2 celery stalks
    1 green pepper
    2 medium zucchini or other summer squash
    6 oz mushrooms, wiped clean
    1 tb Olive oil
    1 tb Butter
    3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 t nutritional yeast (optional)
    1 t ground cumin seeds
    1 t salt
    1 c mushroom broth, vegetable stock, or water
    6 oz grated cheese
    Pepper
    Fresh herbs, for garnish
    (parsley,cilantro,thyme, marjoram)

This was one of the most popular dishes at Greens Restaurant in San
    Francisco.

Cook the rice.

SET THE TOFU on a slanted board or pan to drain, and
    prepare the vegetables. Chop the onion, carrots, celery, pepper, and
    zucchini into pieces about 1/2-inch square. Quarter mushrooms if they
    are small, and cut them into sixths or eighths if they are large. Cut
    the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes. Heat the olive oil and the butter and
    fry the onion over medium heat until it is lightly browned, about 5
    minutes. Add the garlic, nutritional yeast, if using, cumin and salt.
    Stir until blended and cook for 1 minute. Add the carrots, celery,
    green pepper and 1/2 cup of the liquid, cover pan, and braise the
    vegetables until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the
    zucchini and mushrooms and cook 7 to 10 minutes. The vegetables
    should be nearly, but not completely, cooked. If the pan gets dry
    while they cook, add a little more liquid.

Preheat oven to 350F.
    Combine the vegetables with rice and cheese. Season with salt and
    plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Gently mix in the tofu, and
    put mixture into lightly oiled casserole. Add a little more liquid to
    moisten. Cover with foil and bake 1/2 hour. Remove foil and bake 15
    minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs.
    Canice's Notes:
    This dish is extremely flexible, but here are the few things I do differently:
    Most important, I use a tiny fraction of the liquid - maybe 1/4 cup water, tops - and cook all the veggies *much* less time than directed. Those two steps alone will prevent everything from getting mushy. Yuck.
    I use more carrots, more celery, more mushrooms, red pepper instead of green, add a yellow squash, 1/4 pound chopped green beans, and pretty much anything in my crisper or vegetable aisle that looks like it wants to join the club. oh, and cheese - more cheese.

I don't see why it wouldn't -- no sour cream or anything. I don't know anything about tofu, though...
    Kay

How about spanakopita? You could do the individual triangles which would cook faster, or do an entire casserole. Either way, freeze it before baking. Kind of along kind of the same vein, there is a CL recipe from Sept 1996 for spinach rice and feta pie that can be frozen ahead of time. I'll be glad to post the recipe if you can't find it. Butternut squash (or any) lasagna would also work well frozen as would baked ziti.

I have a couple of recipes I've never tried but look like they would freeze well: ratatouille cheddar bake, cheesy broccoli and rice casserole (CI), smoked tofu and farfalle casserole, broccoli rice casserole. If you'd like any of them posted, I'd be glad to.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Brown Rice Casserole
    From The Greens Cookbook
    Hey Canice . This looks really good, but we are not tofu people. I assume that shredded or chopped cooked chicken would be a good sub. Would I have to adjust anything to make that substitution?

Thanks!

-Heather
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

Hi Canice,

I've made this old CL recipe a couple of times. I won't say its the best (I haven't' made enough of this type of recipe to compare, but its quite popular on the BB and I really liked it. I always use my own sauce. I vaguely recall mixed reviews on their sauce but I could be wrong). One reason I'm posting it is that is shows the different cooking times for when its cooked frozen vs thawed.

I thought that ideally, for some recipes its better to cook the recipe (after its thawed) since less likely to dry out. Hopefully those with more experience will pipe in. I recall reading that if freezing a pasta dish, some say to cook the pasta a bit less than recipe states and maybe to add more sauce etc.

Four-Cheese Stuffed Shells with Smoky Marinara

This dish goes straight from the freezer to oven - no thawing required. The fire-roasted tomatoes in the marinara sauce give the dish a subtle smoky flavor. You can also easily vary the filling by adding basil or oregano and a different cheese. (We tried fontina instead of mozzarella and threw in some arugula for a peppery bite.) Make some garlic bread and a green salad and dinner's on.

Yield: 2 casseroles, 5 servings per dish (serving size: about 4 stuffed shells and about 1/2 cup smoky marinara)

Ingredients
    1 pound jumbo shell pasta (40 shells)
    Cooking spray
    1 (12-ounce) carton 1% low-fat cottage cheese
    1 (15-ounce) carton ricotta cheese
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    6 cups Smoky Marinara
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
    Preparation
    Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Coat 2 (13 x 9-inch) baking dishes with cooking spray; set aside.

Place cottage cheese and ricotta cheese in a food processor; process until smooth. Combine cottage cheese mixture, Asiago, and next 6 ingredients (Asiago through spinach).

Spoon or pipe 1 tablespoon cheese mixture into each shell. Arrange half of stuffed shells, seam sides up, in one prepared dish. Pour 3 cups Smoky Marinara over stuffed shells. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat procedure with remaining stuffed shells, Smoky Marinara, and mozzarella in remaining prepared dish.

Cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

To freeze unbaked casserole: Prepare through Step 5. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing to remove as much air as possible. Wrap with heavy-duty foil. Store in freezer for up to 2 months.

To prepare frozen unbaked casserole: Preheat oven to 375º. Remove foil; reserve foil. Remove plastic wrap; discard wrap. Cover frozen casserole with reserved foil; bake at 375º for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the shells are thoroughly heated.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:470 (30% from fat)
    Fat:15.7g (sat 8.8g,mono 4.7g,poly 0.9g)
    Protein:28.3g
    Carbohydrate:52.7g
    Fiber:5.3g
    Cholesterol:47mg
    Iron:3.8mg
    Sodium:916mg
    Calcium:508mg

Barbara Seelig Brown, Cooking Light, MARCH 2003

Thanks everyone, this is so helpful!

applecrisp, glad to see that the shells work out so well! There are a lot of similar dishes in that family, and I can't see why one wouldn't freeze as well as another, so that totally gives me confidence in that. I'm going to post another rigatoni recipe at the end, and would appreciate any comments from the gang on whether it should freeze OK.

Kay, I seem to recall reading that tofu maybe gets crumbly after freezing, but with the moisture and cheese in the casserole, I actually wouldn't be worried about that aspect if everyone thinks the rest would be OK. Oh, and yes - new job w/commute .

sugaree, I know that recipe (spinach and feta pie) though I've never made it. It would ideal for this group, so I'm definitely going to track down the recipe. The group are Buddhists, so I prefer to make something with a nod to healthfulness in addition to being vegetarian, though somehow no one complains about cheesy pasta .
    I would totally appreciate the recipes you mentioned. I'm posting my Rigatoni à la Ratatouille here, so if yours is similar I don't want to take your time. The broccoli rice reminded me of that great old CL rice and zucchini recipe I always liked; maybe make that w/brown rice and throw in a little cubed tofu? (They LOVE the brown rice recipe I posted above, but it's a little tedious to make - and I've done it several times now.)

Heather, no reason not to switch to chicken if you wish I would use about two cups (chopped) for the full recipe. But it makes a LOT, so you might make a half recipe...or else freeze the rest . Do take into consideration my notes at the end. I've made this dish literally scores of times, and it's ever-evolving. For the purposes of my question I did a search and picked up that version, which looks like it was one of my early goes at it. Easy on the liquid, and cook the hard and soft vegetables separately, IMO. It's a nice dish, and I always recommend having gomasio (toasted sesame seeds and sea salt) on the table to sprinkle over top.

Oops, forgot: this is the other one I was wondering about freezing:

Rigatoni à la Ratatouille
    (Canice's recipe, adapted from Tyler Florence)

Heat oven to 450˚

Kosher salt
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    1 eggplant (about 1 pound+) cut in 1” cubes
    1 large red onion, chopped
    1 large red bell pepper, chopped in 1” pieces
    2 small zucchini, cut into thick rounds
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    8 ounces cremini mushrooms, washed and quartered
    1 teaspoon fennel seed
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 28-ounce can peeled plum tomatoes
    Leaves from one small bunch basil (left whole)
    1 pound rigatoni
    12 ounces whole-milk mozzarella, diced
    Half cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Put a large pot of water over high heat and begin prepping vegetables:

Place a large sauté pan over medium heat and add 1/3 cup olive oil. When oil is hot, add as much eggplant as will fit in a single layer and give it a sprinkling of kosher salt. Cook, turning, until browned and crisp on the outside, about 7 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Add olive oil if necessary, and cook remaining eggplant pieces as above, and add to plate.

Place onion, bell pepper, and pepper flakes in the pan, reduce heat, and sauté until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and cook 3 minutes more, turning to brown. When vegetables are softened –but not mushy—remove from pan and add to eggplant.

If necessary, add a little olive oil to pan, increase heat, and add mushrooms, fennel seed, and oregano. When mushrooms have softened, stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add to eggplant/onion/pepper mixture.

Break up canned tomatoes with your hands and add them, with their juices, to the pan. Stir in basil leaves, reduce heat, and simmer until thick and pulpy, 15-20 minutes.

When the water has come to a boil, add a generous pinch of kosher salt and stir in the rigatoni. Cook for the minimum time stated on the package. Drain pasta and run cold water over to stop cooking. Return pasta to pot and stir in vegetables, tomato-basil sauce, and half of the mozzarella cheese, seasoning with salt and pepper.

Pour in an even layer into a 9x13 baking dish, top with remaining mozzarella, and dust with Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Bake 25 minutes, until bubbly and golden.

I think any lasagna freezes well, especially when you use dry noodles. I freeze the lasagna "raw" and either let it thaw before cooking or put it straight into a low temp oven for longer.

There is a Rick Bayless recipe I posted here awhile back that freezes well... it can be veg or not, so it might work for you... let me look for it.

woo found it: http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...d.php?t=108813
    - Josie

Uhm, spam is NOT vegetarian. But thanks anyways.
    Reported.

*snort* good one
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

sugaree, I know that recipe (spinach and feta pie) though I've never made it. It would ideal for this group, so I'm definitely going to track down the recipe. The group are Buddhists, so I prefer to make something with a nod to healthfulness in addition to being vegetarian, though somehow no one complains about cheesy pasta .
    I would totally appreciate the recipes you mentioned. I'm posting my Rigatoni à la Ratatouille here, so if yours is similar I don't want to take your time. The broccoli rice reminded me of that great old CL rice and zucchini recipe I always liked; maybe make that w/brown rice and throw in a little cubed tofu? (They LOVE the brown rice recipe I posted above, but it's a little tedious to make - and I've done it several times now.)
    They are in my Master Cook, so no problem. Sorry I don't have a source for the broccoli and rice casserole recipe.

Ratatouille Cheddar Bake (By The Canadian Living Test Kitchen)

3 zucchini (1 lb/500 g)
    2 sweet green peppers
    1 eggplant (1 lb/500 g) -- peeled
    2 tbsp olive oil -- (25 mL)
    3 cups quartered mushrooms -- (750 mL)
    2 onions -- sliced
    4 cloves garlic -- minced
    2 tsp dried basil and oregano -- (10 mL)
    1/4 cup tomato paste -- (50 mL)
    1 can crushed tomatoes -- (28 oz/796 mL)
    1 tsp granulated sugar -- (5 mL)
    3/4 tsp salt and pepper -- (4 mL)
    4 cups ziti or penne -- (1 L)
    1 1/2 cups shredded extra-old Cheddar cheese -- (375 mL)

Cut zucchini, green peppers and eggplant into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks. In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook zucchini, peppers, eggplant, mushrooms, onions, garlic, basil and oregano, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes or until eggplant is very soft. Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. (Sauce can be refrigerated in air-tight container for up to 24 hours.)

Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender but firm. Reserving 1/3 cup (75 mL) cooking water, drain pasta well. Stir reserved cooking water into vegetable mixture; stir in pasta and half of the Cheddar cheese. Transfer to 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with foil; bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 minutes or until bubbling. Uncover and broil for 2 minutes or until golden.

Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole (Cooks Illustrated)

2 slices hearty white sandwich bread -- torn into pieces
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter -- melted; plus 2 tablespoons, chilled
    1 garlic clove -- minced
    2 pounds broccoli -- florets cut into 1-inch pieces, stems peeled and chopped
    1 onion -- chopped fine
    1 1/4 cups long grain white rice
    4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1 1/4 cups half-and-half
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. PREPARE TOPPING Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 13- by 9-inch baking dish. Pulse bread, ¼ cup Parmesan, and melted butter in food processor until coarsely ground. Add garlic

2. MAKE FILLING Microwave broccoli florets, covered, in large bowl until bright green and tender, 2 to 4 minutes; set aside. Melt remaining butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook onion and broccoli stems until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, until rice is translucent, about 1 minute. Stir in broth, half-and-half, and salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Off heat, stir in cheddar, cayenne, remaining Parmesan, and broccoli florets.

3. TOP AND BAKE Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and top with bread crumb mixture. Bake until sauce is bubbling around edges and top is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Serve.

MAKE AHEAD Filling can be prepared, placed in greased baking dish, covered with plastic wrap, and refrigerated for 1 day. Refrigerate topping separately. Bring filling to room temperature before adding bread crumbs and baking as directed.

Serves 8 to 10

Three to four medium heads of broccoli will yield roughly 2 pounds.

Smoked Tofu and Farfalle Casserole (Vegetarian Times)

1 tablespoon olive oil -- divided
    1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
    1 1/2 cups frozen peas
    3 garlic cloves -- minced
    2 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
    8 ounces dry farfalle pasta
    1 3/4 cups milk -- divided
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3 ounces shredded sharp white cheddar
    6 ounces smoked tofu -- diced
    1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 425

In a 6 quart Dutch oven, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium. Add red pepper and cook about 1 minute. Stir in peas, garlic and thyme. Cook about 2 minutes more, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Fill the Dutch oven with water, bring to boil and season with salt.

Add dry pasta and cook until al dente. Remove from heat, drain and place pasta in a separate bowl. Stir in 2 teaspoons olive oil and toss well to coat. Place Dutch oven back on the burner over medium heat. Add 1 1/2 cups milk and heat until almost simmering.

In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1/4 cup milk with flour. Whisk into the hot milk. Continue to cook over medium to medium-low, whisking constantly, until thick and bubbly.

Remove from heat and mix in cheddar cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste, cooked pasta, pepper mixture and tofu - toss well to coat. Scatter the top with panko and bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden.

Broccoli and Rice Casserole

6 cups cooked brown rice
    2 cups broccoli florets -- chopped small and steamed until crisp tender
    6 ounces cremini mushrooms -- chopped
    1 small onion -- diced
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    1/3 cup flour
    2 2/3 cups lowfat milk
    6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese -- shredded
    3 ounces Parmesan cheese -- shredded
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

Drizzle enough olive oil in a small skillet to brown mushrooms. Cook them over medium-medium high heat until they are golden brown. Add onions and garlic, cooking over low heat until caramelized. Combine with rice and set aside.

In a medium saucepan, whisk together the flour and the milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat, and add cheeses (reserve 1/2 cup) and spices. Combine with rice mixture and turn into oiled casserole dish. Sprinkle reserved cheese over the top. Dust with seasoned bread crumbs and paprika if desired.

Fantastic! Thanks, sugaree!

Oh, and yes - new job w/commute .
    Congrats!

I agree with Josie about lasagna noodles "raw" if you're going to freeze -- or even if it's going to sit a day or so before cooking! I just use a little more liquid in the sauce, and it all comes out great.
    Kay

I made several batches of the Cook's Country Macaroni and Cheese. The recipe is written specifically for freezing. It calls for lots of sauce and cooking the noodles only a short amount of time. The sauce calls for chicken broth, which helps with something in the freezing/thawing process, but the exact reason escapes me. I wonder if you could sub veggie broth.

The recipe was quite good and thawed and cooked perfectly.

Avareill --

I think any lasagna freezes well, especially when you use dry noodles. I freeze the lasagna "raw" and either let it thaw before cooking or put it straight into a low temp oven for longer.

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by dry noodles?

Thanks,

Like no-boil noodles or really any basic lasagna noodle - no need to parboil before putting your lasagna together (really, you can use any lasagna noodle without boiling them first). The noodle cooks in the sauce (and absorbs liquid as it sits/freezes)
    - Josie

Quote Originally Posted by haley17 View Post
    I made several batches of the Cook's Country Macaroni and Cheese. The recipe is written specifically for freezing. It calls for lots of sauce and cooking the noodles only a short amount of time. The sauce calls for chicken broth, which helps with something in the freezing/thawing process, but the exact reason escapes me. I wonder if you could sub veggie broth.

The recipe was quite good and thawed and cooked perfectly.
    Is this posted somewhere?

Thanks Josie for the info. I didn't think if I was pulling together a lasagna to freeze (and not baked beforehand) -- that I can just add the noboil noodles right out of the box into the pan.

Thanks again!

I wasn't sure if the Cook's Country mac & cheese recipe was posted already. If you make it please post your opinions about it.

Make-Ahead Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
    Cook's Country
    Serves 8 to 10

You will need two microwave-safe 8-inch square baking dishes for this recipe.

4 slices hearty white sandwich bread , torn into pieces
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 garlic clove , minced
    8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter , melted
    Salt and pepper
    1 pound elbow macaroni
    6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1 1/2 cups heavy cream
    4 cups shredded colby cheese
    2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
    1. PROCESS TOPPING Pulse bread, Parmesan, garlic, and 2 tablespoons butter in food processor until coarsely ground. Divid crumb mixture between 2 zipper-lock freezer bags and freeze.

2. COOK PASTA Bring 4 quarts water to boil in dutch oven over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and macaroni and cook until barely softened, about 3 minutes. Drain pasta, then spread out on rimmed baking sheet and let cool.

3. MAKE SAUCE Heat remaining butter, flour, mustard, and cayenne in empty pot over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until golden and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in broth and cream and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Off heat, whisk in colby, cheddar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until smooth.

4. FREEZE Stir cooled pasta into sauce, breaking up any clumps, until well combined. Divide pasta mixture between two 8-inch square baking dishes. Cool to room temperature, about 2 hours. Wrap dishes tightly with plastic, cover with foil, and freeze for up to 2 months.

5. BAKE Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Remove foil from casserole and reserve. Microwave casserole until mixture is thawed and beginning to bubble around edges, 7 to 12 minutes, stirring and replacing plastic halfway through cooking. (If preparing both dishes, microwave one at a time.) Discard plastic and cover pan with reserved foil. Bake 20 minutes, then remove foil and sprinkle with 1 bag frozen bread crumbs. (If preparing both dishes, sprinkle second bag of crumbs over second dish.) Continue to bake until crumbs are golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes longer. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbetty View Post
    I wasn't sure if the Cook's Country mac & cheese recipe was posted already. If you make it please post your opinions about it.

Make-Ahead Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
    Cook's Country
    Serves 8 to 10
    Thanks for posting. Looks delicious.....and fattening. I'm trying to lose 5 lbs so don't think this will be on the menu too soon but it's definitely going in the to-try pile. DH would LOVE it.