Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO recipe for baked oatmeal with steel cut oats

ISO recipe for baked oatmeal with steel cut oats

I know I've seen this recipe on the BB but my searches only found the regular baked oatmeal, which I make all the time. I bought some steel cut oats at TJs and want to try making some baked oatmeal with it. Thanks!
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Steel-Cut Oatmeal

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups steel-cut oats
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup milk
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce -- or pumpkin puree
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup Craisins (optional) -- walnuts or chopped prunes

Combine dry ingredients. Mix in milk, eggs, and the applesauce or pumpkin puree.

Pour into a greased pie tin. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes

Cut into wedges.

Source:
    "CLBB mmtibbs"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 264 Calories; 5g Fat (17.5% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 51mg Cholesterol; 259mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Excellent! Very hearty and filling! Chewier texture from the steel-cut oats, and a bit drier and cakier than my normal baked oatmeal, but still very moist. I used pumpkin and added cinnamon and the result tasted a bit like pumpkin pie. Delicious! I didn't add any fruit or nuts.

THIS thread has some good recipes!
    For your need, the Alton Brown overnight oatmeal works well.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

This one has steel-cut oats and regular oats...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Cranberry-Apple Oatmeal

Recipe By :adapted from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking, pg. 550
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 cup steel-cut oats (scant 3 oz.) -- FYI: 1 cup weighs 5 3/4 oz.
    1 1/2 Tbs. unsalted butter
    1 cup water
    1 cup apple juice or cider
    1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats (5 1/4 oz.)
    1/4 cup plus 2 T. packed brown sugar (about 2 3/4 oz.)
    1 apple -- peeled and diced (probably 3/4 to 1 cup--I used a granny smith)
    1/3 cup craisins
    2 T. diced crystallized ginger (optional)
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 pinch baking powder (optional)
    1 tsp. or so cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
    1 large egg
    1/4 cup milk
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Place the steep cut oats and butter n a large bowl. Bring water and juice to a boil and pour over oats/butter. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8 inch square pan.

After the 20 minutes is up, add all the dry ingredients.

In a small bowl, whisk the wet ingredients. Stir into oat mixture and pour into prepared pan.

Bake until center is set, about 30-35 minutes. Serve warm with milk poured over it, if desired. Store leftovers in the fridge.

Yield: 8 servings

NOTES : Original recipe was basically double the amount of everything with these exceptions: I reduced the butter slightly; upped the craisins, apple, nutmeg, and vanilla a bit; added the baking powder. And the full recipe is supposed to baked in a 9 inch pan. I also increased the brown sugar by 2 T. but that wasn't necessary and won't do that next time.

Other versions:

Apricot: use all water and no juice; sub. diced dried apricots for the craisins.

Blueberry: use all water and no juice; omit craisins and add 2 cups blueberries in place of the apple.

Banana-Walnut: use all water and no juice; substitute 1 1/2 cups diced banana for the apple and 1/4 cup walnuts for the craisins.

Banana Split: make the Banana-Walnut version and add 1/2 cup chocolate chips before baking.

The baked oatmeal recipe from King Arthur already posted is our favorite. The crystallized ginger really adds a great flavor. It's very forgiving on subs - last time I made it I used dried cranberries, dried cherries, dried apricots. Didn't use apples or apple juice, just water. It's always a hit at brunches plus you can make it ahead and just bake it when needed. Freezes well too.

Baked Oatmeal

6-8 servings
    Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups rolled oats
    1/4 cup oat bran
    1/4 cup steel cut oats
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 cups milk
    1 egg, beaten
    1/3 cup applesauce
    1/4 cup oil or melted butter (or less)
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 cups fruit (such as blueberries, chopped apples or pears or strawberries or other fruit of your choosing)
    yogurt, milk ,half-and-half, or cream to serve (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
    2. Lightly grease a 2 QT casserole dish.
    3. In a large mixing bowl, combine rolled oats, oat bran, steel-cut oats, baking powder, and cinnamon.
    4. In a separate bowl, mix together milk, eggs, applesauce, oil or butter, and sugars.
    5. Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry and pour into prepared casserole dish.
    6. Bake, uncovered for about 20 minutes.
    7. Stir oatmeal and fold in fruit.
    8. Bake, uncovered for about 20 more minutes or until top is lightly brown.
    9. To serve, spoon into bowls and serve with yogurt, milk, half-and-half or cream if desired.

B H & G
    Last edited by surfer376; 03-21-2010 at 10:37 PM.
    Chari

Thanks, everyone. I used surfer's recipe with applesauce and raisins, added some cinnamon and used a little maple syrup instead of sugar. I also added a half-cup of milk because I was making it overnight. I stirred in the baking powder this morning and baked it. I loved it but the boys were unenthusiastic. I might try some of the recipes that combine the two kinds of oats, or just add a little steel cut to my regular recipe.

One question--my oatmeal did taste a little baking powdery. I don't usually add baking powder--does everyone add it?

Thanks again!
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Linda, thanks so much for posting your recipe with variations! I made the Banana-Split version, and I am eating it right now....delicious! And I am glad to have another recipe that uses my steel-cut oats.

Jessica, Linda's recipe called for an optional "pinch" of baking powder, and I used less than a 1/4 tsp. It looks like her recipe makes a smaller quantity than the one you used, but I think you could cut the BP way back to somewhere between 2 tsps and 1/4 tsp. I suggest trying about 1/2 tsp next time (or even just 1 tsp if you aren't comfortable cutting it too much. JMO.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!