Community Message Boards

Thread: Frozen dinners left out of freezer

Frozen dinners left out of freezer

This is really a love story, although the end result is a big batch of frozen Lean Cuisines that were left out of the freezer for more than 20 minutes after being purchased at the market and driven home. Are they safe to use, I'm wondering?

Yes, of course I know frozen foods need to be put into the freezer immediately upon arriving home! Here's what happened...my sweet boyfriend went shopping for me, using my ShopShop list, generated by my iPhone app. He's very techie, and this method is one he loves. (He even prints the shopping lists out in decorative fonts!) Well, to cut to the chase, he brought the groceries to his house first, unloaded his own food, and then called me.

The idea of chocolate-covered cannolis and unsweetened iced tea surfaced, and he said if he left that very instant, he could hit the Italian bakery before it closed in fifteen minutes. I wanted to make him happy, so I said, "Go ahead."

Unfortunately, he didn't wait to put my frozen dinners into his freezer. I would say it was between 20 and 30 minutes before he arrived at my house with my order (and two of the most luscious cannolis imagineable), when I immediately put them into my freezer.

Must I throw them all out??

Thanks!

~ Tangerine
    p.s. after all the food was put away, we enjoyed the cannoli and plain iced tea in the living room, in the low light of my great-uncle's hand-crafted brass lanterns. He finished first, and read an article to me from Wikipedia on his iPhone while I finished, too. A really happy love story!

They're fine...

Ditto Mike.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Ditto Ditto. Cooked frozen meals can be left out up to 2 hours ... even then I'd stick 'em in the fridge and heat n eat within a day or two. Just be sure, as always, to heat thoroughly to the recommended internal temp.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Thank you!