Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO Halva (or Halvah) recipe!

ISO Halva (or Halvah) recipe!

I made mention of wanting this recipe in another thread -
    I would like a true halva recipe. I've googled it, and recipes have varied widely, some using semolina, dairy and godknowswhatelse.
    I'm looking for the traditional sesame paste halva, although if it's possible to dip it in chocolate, that would be spectacular.

Thanks for the help!
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

I'll be watching this thread closely, as I have been searching for a T&T recipe for a loooong time. Thanks.

Thumbs up Love halvah!

I've only eaten store-bought halvah but I love it. I don't dare buy any halvah now since I want to maintain my current weight.

I'm curious as to how it's made though.
    "When the kitchen smells spicy and wonderful, it can only mean one thing...it's not my kitchen." --- Maxine

I don't have a recipe for halvah alone, but I do have a recipe for halvah cookies. They are incredibly yummy! The recipe is from an Israeli cookbook I bought when I traveled there. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll try to post it (it's not in soft copy yet)

Halva Spread Recipe

I also have an Israeli cookbook, bought after I went there last year. It has a recipe for a Halva spread that sounds really, really good

Halva Spread

Bring 7 oz whipping cream to a boil. Pour over 7 oz of chopped white chocolate. Wait for a minute and stir well until the chocolate dissolves. Add 7 oz raw tahini and 1/4 cup water and mix thoroughly, to make a smooth spreadable paste.

From The Book of Israeli Food, a Culinary Journey by Janna Gur.

This is a great book. I cook from it often. SusanMac - is this the one you have? There is a recipe for halva cookies in it.

Mine is called Fresh Flavors from Israel. Janna Gur is one of several authors. It's also a fabulous cookbook. There are a lot of recipes still on my to-try list. It does have the best-ever falafel recipe, but I digress from the thread :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    It does have the best-ever falafel recipe, but I digress from the thread :-)
    Can you share the falafel recipe, please? TIA

I don't have a recipe for halvah alone, but I do have a recipe for halvah cookies.
    I would love to see it...and the falafel one too! Thanks so much!

Sheila in MD

I haven't forgotten you guys....I just need to get around to typing them up. I found that Janna Gur has a website with some good recipes, but, of course, not these two!

You still might be interested in checking it out, tho:
    http://www.jannagur.com/

I haven't forgotten you guys....I just need to get around to typing them up. I found that Janna Gur has a website with some good recipes, but, of course, not these two!You still might be interested in checking it out, tho:http://www.jannagur.com/
    Thanks! I did find these and wondered if this was the recipe in the book...she says they are often called Halvah cookies..if yes-anyone think I can leave out the orange zest...don't like orange flavor in baked goods...thanks!

Orange and Tahini Cookies

This may not sound too tempting but if you remember that halva is actually sweetened tahini, it starts to make sense. In fact, this confection is often called halva cookies even though it is made with raw tahini, which is more convenient for baking than halva. As opposed to the traditional Middle Eastern sweetmeat ma'amoul, tahini cookies are pretty much a modern invention. In the following version, tahini is enhanced with cinnamon and orange, a surprising and very effective combination.

Ingredients (for 50 about cookies)

* 250 g (9 oz) butter, softened
    * 200 g (7 oz, 1 cup) sugar
    * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    * 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 180 ml (61/2 fl oz, 3/4 cup) raw tahini
    * 450 g (1 lb, 3 cups + 2 tablespoons) flour
    * 10 g (1 small sachet, 2 teaspoons) baking powder
    * For Dusting:
    * 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
    * 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon

1. In a mixer beat the butter and the sugar for 4-5 minutes until fluffy and creamy.
    2. Lower the speed and add vanilla, cinnamon, salt, orange zest and tahini. Beat to a smooth consistency. Add the flour and baking powder and process to a smooth and malleable dough. Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
    3. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
    4. Mix the confectioners’ sugar with cinnamon in a small bowl.
    5. Pinch small pieces off the dough and roll balls the size of large olives. Roll the balls in the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
    6. Arrange the cookies on a tray lined with baking paper, spacing them. Bake for 15 minutes. The cookies should remain light colored. Don’t touch them until they cool completely or they will crumble. Store in an airtight jar.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    I haven't forgotten you guys....I just need to get around to typing them up. I found that Janna Gur has a website with some good recipes, but, of course, not these two!

You still might be interested in checking it out, tho:
    http://www.jannagur.com/
    Don't worry about typing up the falafel recipe. I see my library has the book and it's available. I might go check it out this weekend. thanks.

So elusive, but so simple!

While all of the suggested recipes posted sound delicious, I was looking for a halvah similar to the Joyva vanilla halvah. I knew the ingredients in theirs was ground sesame seeds(tahini), sweeteners, soy oil and albumin.
    I got a link from the Serious eats site to the following recipe on epicurean.com.:

HALVAH

Ingredients:

1 c. sesame tahini
    1/4 c. honey
    1 c. powdered soymilk - dry (* I used unflavored whey protein powder )
    1 tsp. vanilla
    Pecan meal

Directions:
    Cream until smooth tahini and honey. Add soymilk powder and vanilla. Stir well. Should be stiff. Sprinkle pecan meal in bottom of 8 inch square pan. Press candy mixture into pan. Sprinkle top with pecan meal. Refrigerate, cut into squares.

This was almost exactly the same flavor as the Joyva, definitely the same texture. I'm guessing that if it was made with powdered egg white instead of soymilk powder or protein powder(per the ingredients list) it might be spot on.

It's only mildly sweet, so it could definitely stand up to being dipped in chocolate (dark)
    I also think I'm going to add either toasted sesame seeds or chopped dry roasted almonds.
    Surprisinly healthy!!!
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

SusanMac- Thanks for the info on the other Israeli cookbook. I'll have to take a look at it. I bought mine after I returned from Israel last year. There was a picture of a restaurant that we went to - twice it was so good - and had recipes of many of the foods we ate while there.

Oct2189 - Glad you were able to locate the Halvah recipe. I like the idea of being able to play around with the sweetness.

Robin