Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for Dry Onion Soup Mix

Substitute for Dry Onion Soup Mix

I have a recipe for vegetarian meat loaf that I love (walnuts, eggs, cottage cheese, corn/flax flakes)----I know how lame it sounds, but it makes a moist, meat-like loaf. The problem is that it uses a packet of dried onion soup mix, which is full of sodium and chemicals. Does anyone have a recipe that substitutes for this?
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

Doesn't onion soup mix contain beef bouillon? Kind of strange for a vegetarian meat loaf.

Your recipe sounds like what I know as a cottage cheese loaf, and it's not lame at all It's really yummy.

My recipe just calls for 2 tsp vegetarian bouillon, either beef or chicken, and you should be able to find those both low sodium and with no chemicals. I have several jars, they range from 127mg to 560 to 800 something.

My recipe also calls for 2 Tbs dried onion, although I generally add chopped fresh onion and some chopped green or red pepper instead of the dried.

However, here's a recipe for onion soup mix if you still want to go that way. Just sub veg beef bouillon for the regular.

Homemade Onion Soup Mix

3/4 cup dry minced onion
    1/3 cup beef-flavored instant bouillon
    4 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp crushed celery seed
    1/4 tsp sugar

Combine all ingredients.

5 Tbs = 1.25 oz pkg of store-bought package
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

I'm pretty sure that Sneezles has a recipe for this floating around the BB. I have it somewhere in my possession, but can't put my finger on it. GRRRR....I hate it when that happens. I have too many recipes!

Quote Originally Posted by EllenL View Post
    I have a recipe for vegetarian meat loaf that I love (walnuts, eggs, cottage cheese, corn/flax flakes)----I know how lame it sounds, but it makes a moist, meat-like loaf.
    where is this recipe from, Ellen? if i don't have it, well, i want it! i'll sub my own blend of dried onion and spices for the mix. you might want to use a dash of soy in there somewhere.
    Please post or tell me what book it's from (if it's from a book).
    Last edited by heavy hedonist; 04-20-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typos

Sorry, Mari---should have posted the recipe. This may not read in a very enticing manner, but I swear it's moist and flavorful. I'm going to serve it to a carnivore friend on Friday night before our mah jong game. I make brown gravy to go with it. It's vegetarian, not vegan. And it came from---of all places, AARP Magazine---had a few healthy recipes. Because some corn flakes can be pretty junky, I've used organic flax flakes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Not Really Meatloaf

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 eggs -- beaten
    1 cup walnuts -- finely chopped
    16 ounces cottage cheese -- creamed or small curd
    1 envelope/ounce dry onion soup mix
    2 Tablespoons oil
    1 1/2 cups cornflakes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a loaf pan.

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine ingredients.

Spoon into pan.

Bake 35 to 50 minutes *usually needs more time) or until a toothpick or knife in the center comes out clean.

Tovie and TieKitty: I found a recipe that I think will work well and will not involve all the sodium/chemicals of dry onion soup mix (some of which are vegetarian):

1 packet (change servings and units)

Ingredients

* 8 teaspoons dried onion flakes
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
    * 1 teaspoon onion powder
    * 1 teaspoon turmeric
    * 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon sugar
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

Directions

Mix ingredients well.
    Store in airtight container for up to six months.
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

I have long loved Peg Bracken's recipe for "Sweep Steak" (a pot roast sprinkled with onion soup mix, wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil, and baked for three hours at 300 degrees).

In recent years, I have subbed Herb ox sodium free instant beef broth & seasoning Beef Bouillon along with dried minced onions for the onion soup mix.

Note: There are a few meds for high blood pressure that are "potassium conserving." Those taking these drugs should stay away from the product recommended above as it contains potassium chloride in place of sodium chloride (salt).

Kay

Ellen,
    I found this recipe on recipezaar and love it as well. I'm not a vegetarian, but I hate the idea of using onion soup mix because of all the sodium. I used All Bran istead of cornflakes and added ketchup and a dab of BBQ sauce to the mix. I think I'll just tinker with the seasoning and not use the onion soup next time.
    ~JW~