Community Message Boards

Thread: How to stop itching (insect bites)

How to stop itching (insect bites)

I am in West Palm Beach for 3 weeks on vacation. I have been bitten by insects, don't know what it is. It's not mosquitoes. I always react bad and get those red bumps and they itch. I went to one drugstore and they said to use Lanacane. Does not work for me.

Any of you have great advice of what product to use for the itching? Hope to find something soon my legs are covered with the bites.
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

I use Cortaid or the generic equivalent and it instantly stops the itch.

I am VERY allergic to insect bites and my legs and arms used to be horror sites in the days when calamine lotion was the only ineffective solution.

I don't know what the active ingredient in Lanacane is. If it is the same as Cortaid, I would suggest going to a dermatologist there as three weeks of itching would not be endurable for me.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Have you tried Benadryl Spray? Works like a charm for me. Sorry about the bug bites, enjoy the rest of your trip.
    Michelle

They are probably noseeums. (no-see-ums) In addition to the above ideas you might also try an internal antihistimine since you'll be there for awhile.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I was also going to post about the Benadryl spray (or cream) and taking an oral antihistamine. What I find works best is to go ahead and apply something like cortaid (to help bring down the inflammation) then put the topical benadryl on top of that.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

Well, this doesn't fall into the good medical advice category....but I use clear nail polish. It sounds strange but actually works. Just dab a bit on each bite. For some reason, it eliminates the urge to scratch it. And, as a bonus, you can't see it at all

Thanks I am going to the store and will try couple things. My son is as bad as me.
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

I have always used After Bite. They have a couple of different formulations depending on the type of bite

http://www.amazon.com/Tender-After-B.../dp/B001G7QRC6
    newcook

Even if you try something else, you might want to pick up some benadryl in case you have a more severe reaction.

My mom used to put Calamine Lotion on bug bites, and if we didn't have any, we used plain Crest toothpaste.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Menthol also helps (that is what the allergist used for me when I was getting the scratch tests).
    vicks would contain that and offer some protection.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Call me crazy...Tiger Balm works for me.

I first found it in Hong Kong, brought several bottles home with me...but most pharmacies in the U.S. carry it OTC now.

Menthol based....Wallycat's suggestion triggered the recommendation.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

If I'm not going out anywhere, I use a paste of baking soda and water. It works well, but is quite unsightly.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)