Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Almond Milk to Make Ice Cream?

Quote Originally Posted by foodfly View Post
    So what do you do with the leftover piles of almond meal?
    One idea from the blog Joyous Health is to use it on your skin as an exfoliator!
    Even though my first thought was to use it in some sort of baked good I like that idea too!
    I will go soak my almonds, I want to make some almond milk experiment too!
    Ana

Thanx for the link. I added her site to my fave list.

Joy looks exactly like my long time friend & hairdresser. They could be twins.
    Life ain't Certain. Ride Your Best Horse First

I hate to admit it, but so far we've just been throwing the almond meal away. I just don't have time to do anything with it, and we generate about 5 cups a week. I know some raw foodists use it to make cookies in a dehydrator. They sound good, but I don't have a dehydrator, and we wouldn't possibly be able to eat that many cookies, either!

And I should say that I'm not bothered by the separation. I agree that it is reassuring to know that we are eating (or in this case drinking) food that is in its natural form. Plus, we distill our own water at home, so are really producing the product with zero non-organic waste.

For those of you who want to make almond milk, I will give you my absolute favorite time-saver. We bought nylon paint straining bags (at Home Depot or any paint store--about $1 each). These are sold online with drawstrings and called "nut milk bags" and cost about $8 each. Anyway, I fit them inside my 4-cup measure, draping the top of the bag over the sides. I just pour from the blender into the bag, pick it up and squeeze it until I've gotten out as much liquid as possible, then pour the strained milk back into the blender, add the dates and vanilla, blend, then pour into storage bottles. We turn the bag inside out, wash it out in the sink, then let it dry before storing. I suspect one bag will last forever, but we have 4 more on back up from the package. Anyway, it is much easier and less messy than trying to push everything through a mesh strainer.

We use about a gallon of almond milk a week, and make it all from start to finish in about 15 minutes on the weekend. Once you get the system down, it's no big deal at all.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

The custard just went into the frig to chill overnight. I had to cook it hotter than what the recipe says -- 200 F instead of the 170 listed to get it to coat a spoon. It remained wimpy even after the additional cook time.

At this point it smells, tastes, and in consistency looks like an almond-y chocolate drink. It is as liquid as chocolate milk.

I'll see how it freezes up sometime tomorrow. I'm having doubts.

Ok, so I made almond milk, and it is amazingly delicious!!!
    I made it using this recipe: Homemade Almond Milk
    It is just soooo easy and so good, I am going to start making at home! There is no point in buying almond milk at the store that is full of emulsifiers and whatevers if I can make my own with almonds and water. I don't know why it took me so long to try it, really. I am such a happy girl today!

Coking4Love, thanks for the tip on the nylon bags, I am going to stop by at the store today and buy some for me. I have been debating buying a nut bag from amazon for a while, but now I will try the one you mentioned, so much more affordable.

I also made ice cream with the almond milk, yay! I used a recipe from the book Vegan Scoop for making Rocky Road Ice Cream!
    This book is full of ideas, the recipe is basically the same for most flavors in there, the cool thing about this book is really the ideas.
    Since my son cannot have dairy we got this book to make ice cream that he can eat and he loves it!
    Most recipes in the book are based on the use of soy milk and soy creamer, you make a pudding with arrowroot powder (I use cornstarch, I find arrowroot to have a certain anise flavor that I don't like), chill and then freeze in your ice cream machine.
    The one we made was chocolate ice cream with marshmallows and almonds, which I actually made better: I chopped the roasted almonds in half and dipped them in melted vegan chocolate chips... oh so delicious! The crunchy chocolate coated almonds was awesome in the chocolate ice cream!

I am posting the recipe the way I made, I did use soy creamer though and almond milk instead of soy milk.
    The pudding mix thickened up nicely, no problems with that, but I am sure it is because of the use of the creamer. Anyways, it was really yummy!!
    I am going to look for recipes where I don't use the creamer though as I am not a fan of using that at all.
    Ana

Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream
    (Adapted from the Vegan Scoop)

1 cup almond (or soy milk)
    2 tablespoons cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
    2 cups soy creamer
    1/2 cup sugar (taste your creamer first, the one we bought was already super sweet and I only needed about 2 tbsp sugar)
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract (can use more if you prefer)
    Mini Marshmallows
    Chopped roasted almonds (we coated ours in melted chocolate, yum!)

In a saucepan mix together the almond milk, soy creamer, cornstarch, cocoa, sugar and vanilla. Whisk it all together to mix well. Cook mixture on medium heat stirring constantly until it thickens and reaches a boiling point. Remove from heat, pour into a container and let cool, chill in the refrigerator overnight.
    Pour mixture in your ice cream machine and freeze accordingly to the instructions. When ice cream is about done add the marshmallows and almonds just to stir them in.

Sorry I've been offline. Computer problems picked up from ????

Anyway, I made the Almond Milk ice cream recipe.

It did freeze up using commercially-made almond milk. Tastes fine to me; although DH is not a fan of chocolate anything, so he was of no help in the evaluation.

The almond milk version does miss the creamy mouth feel of regular ice cream. The almond milk mixture is more like frozen ice milk; but it is dairy-free and tasty enough.

I also made a batch of blackberry ice cream this weekend and what can I say, it was excellent. In comparison, the almond milk recipe was okay, but didn't knock any socks off.