Community Message Boards

Thread: Pimento Cheese

Pimento Cheese

What's your favorite pimento cheese recipe? Just made some tonight that's tasting pretty good.

Block of Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar, crated
    Duke's mayonnaise - start with 1/2 cup. Add more if it's not to your taste. I did add a little more when every thing was combined.
    Small jar of chopped pimentos, drained
    Two green onions, chopped (used both the white and green parts)
    1 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    Dash of tabasco

Needless to say it's spicy!!

My recipe is almost exactly like yours, and I love it. Sometimes I add some smoked paprika to the mix.

My granny made the best Pimento Cheese Spread which I had forgotten about. I am now in possession of her recipe box so I just looked, and yep, it's there! So, here is my favorite. My comments in italics.

Pimento Cheese Spread (makes 2 cups)
    12 oz mild cheddar (or colby for milder flavor)
    1 cube unsalted butter I assume she means a stick?
    1 4 oz jar pimento chopped (including the juice)
    3 good dashes white pepper or to taste
    Salt to taste
    1/4 cup water

Can use 1/2 c. fat free or regular miracle whip and on 2 T of water to replace butter. Can add dash of red pepper sauce.

Cut cheese and butter into 1" pieces, put into food processor with water and 1/3 of the pimentos. Blend until very smooth. Ad white pepper, salt and remaining pimentos. Process only until blended leaving pimentos in chunks.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I LOVE this recipe from Everyday Food. It is my "go to" recipe for pimento cheese.

Pimento Cheese

Makes 1 1/4 cups * Prep Time : 5 Minutes * Total Time: 5 Minutes

1. In a food processor, pulse 3 tablespoons mayonnaise with 2 ounces cream cheese and 2 tablespoons chopped pimentos (well drained) until combined.

2. Using a flexible spatula, scrape down sides of bowl. Add 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (4 ounces); season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Pulse until spreadable and slightly chunky.

Bonnie

I can remember my great aunt making this recipe entirely by hand (grating, mixing). Now I whip it up in the food processor.

ex. sharp cheddar
    mayo to taste and consistency
    small jar pimentos, drained
    celery seed
    salt and pepper to taste

I love this stuff and have tried to make it by hand because I'm currently food processor deprived. But mine came out awful because the cheese wouldn't cooperate! I could never get it to mix properly. Any suggestions?

TIA!
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by little_bopeep View Post
    I love this stuff and have tried to make it by hand because I'm currently food processor deprived. But mine came out awful because the cheese wouldn't cooperate! I could never get it to mix properly. Any suggestions?TIA!
    This is best made without using the FP for blending; i tried it once and never went there again. Also, i prefer it using hand-grated cheese. I like to grate some coarse on my big four-sided grater and some finer on the smaller hand grater. You can't go wrong adding even more roasted red peppers, and roasting your own makes the hugest difference. i also add a big gloppy soupspoonful of dijon mustard for tart/tang.
    from Frank Stitt's Southern Table Cookbook.

Miss Verba's Pimiento Cheese

1 lb. sharp yellow cheddar
    1/4 lb cream cheese, softened*
    3 large red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded & chopped
    1/2 C homemade mayo, or best quality commercial mayo
    1 tsp sugar
    Splash of hot sauce, such as tabasco or cholula ( I used Frank's)
    1/8 tsp cayenne, optional

Grind the cheddar in food processor fitted with grating disk, or grate on the small-holed side of a handheld grater. Put grated cheese into a large bowl, and add all other ingredients. Blend together thoroughly. Refrigerate and serve chilled. Keeps several days in fridge, covered. (Sublime on saltines or melba toasts. Or anything, really.)

*neufchatel is fine.
    Last edited by heavy hedonist; 05-29-2010 at 07:36 AM.

Are pimentos 'just' roasted red bell peppers? I guess I'm really showing my ignorance but I've only eaten pimentos in stuffed olives, and none of those in at least a decade.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Are pimentos 'just' roasted red bell peppers? I guess I'm really showing my ignorance but I've only eaten pimentos in stuffed olives, and none of those in at least a decade.
    no-- Pimientos are a particular type of red pepper, flatter and usually smaller than a red bell. their taste is similar, though, and they are harder to find fresh in lots of places, though i got some at my farmer's market last summer. red bells are a fine substitute.

Here's a good recipe:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=520784

I don't own a food processor, but I make pimento cheese all the time. I think you want some chunkiness in the spread, not "pureed" cheese.

One way this is achieved is by having enough of a binder in the mixture (such as mayo).

Another thing you can do is to use the large grater holes for half of the cheese, and small grater holdes for the other half.

Southern Living mag this month had an article on pimento cheese and they recommended the method of finely grating some cheese and coarsely grating some.

(I wish I'd saved that article - I didn't because I already have several recipes for pimenton cheese. It isn't at the allrecipes site yet, but if I find it, I will post that one. It was a two page article with pictures, as I recall.)

I just got through making this. I read everyone's posts and used what I had on hand. I used about 4oz. of cream cheese[RF], 1/2 c. mayo[RF], and a half of a roasted red pepper that needed to be used up. I added some hot sauce and 8oz. shredded sharp cheddar. I'm not from the South, so I don't have any comparison except for what is sold at my store. Tastes pretty good. Now to keep the DH out of it until the kidlets get here.

Vicky

My mom made pimiento cheese sandwiches for me all the time while I was growing up. She grated a whole box of Velveeta on a box grater and then added mayo, salt, pepper and pimientos. Maybe some pickle juice. Mmmmmmmm!!! So super creamy.
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

Vicki, try your pimento cheese on a stalk of celery. Or on a cracker. Or use to make a grilled cheese sandwich. You'll be calling everyone ya'll before you know it.

Ya'll it was good! The kids enjoyed it. I'll have to try some as a grilled cheese. Yhanks ya'll

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    Ya'll it was good! The kids enjoyed it. I'll have to try some as a grilled cheese. Yhanks ya'll
    Told you so.....

Quote Originally Posted by Capucine View Post
    Told you so.....
    i love it as part of a wrap, or a sandwich with thinly sliced tomato on wheat bread--- but i think on carrots, celery and low salt saltines is where it kills!
    my family goes nuts whenever i bring it to a gathering-- all of us being Northerners, our first taste of pimiento cheese was like a revelation...