Community Message Boards

Thread: Sorta lame grilling question re: bone-in chicken

Sorta lame grilling question re: bone-in chicken

So, our local grocery store had a fabulous deal on Amish-raised chicken parts this weekend. I have a bunch of cookbooks with instructions for grilling chicken; all of them say to turn the parts over half-way through grilling. But NONE of them tell me to start skin-side or bone-side down.

So, when you grill bone-in chicken, which side do you put on the grill first? Methinks it makes sense to do skin side because the grill is freshly oiled and the skin would stick less in the beginning than toward the end. Or does it even matter?

TIA!
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

I don't think your question is lame, I'd like to know what others do as well, especially since this is what I'm going to be cooking for dinner tomorrow night. I would probably start skin side down, but I rarely cook bone-in chicken breast let alone on the grill.

According to Cook's Illustrated, start with skin side down.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

and to make things more confusing, I just checked "Webers Real Grilling" cookbook. Some recipes called for bone down first and some called for skin down first. So, it seems to me it would depend on your recipe, what you have on the skin. Like this one recipe for Honey Mustard Chicken. After you marinate the chicken, it says to grill skin side down, over direct medium heat until nicely marked, about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken over, move over indirect medium heat and cook until the meat is no longer pink at the bone, 30 to 35 minutes more. The Mojo Marinated chicken is cooked bone side down until the last 5 minute. Then you turn it over and cook over direct medium heat if you want a crispier skin. Hope this helps.

Um....I called my hubby at work last week to ask him how to turn on the grill... I don't think your question is lame.
    (hubby sighs in background).....btw, my hubby....who is amazing with the whole grilling/smoking thing....just told me that it doesn't matter which side you start on.

Lorena

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    After you marinate the chicken, it says to grill skin side down, over direct medium heat until nicely marked, about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken over, move over indirect medium heat and cook until the meat is no longer pink at the bone, 30 to 35 minutes more.
    This is exactly the way we grill bone in chix, cooks to perfection!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Quote Originally Posted by PAMMELA View Post
    This is exactly the way we grill bone in chix, cooks to perfection!
    That's what I do as well, except that my grill is so small, I can't move to indirect heat, so I put the lid on and close the vents almost all the way (after flipping to bone down), to slow the heat.

Thanks for all the feedback! Guess there are as many ways to grill chicken as there are recipes for marinades, rubs, etc.

We ended up cleaning the 'fridge of some leftovers, so the chicken on the grill is deferred until tomorrow night.
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields