Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: peanut butter baked good for bake sale

ISO: peanut butter baked good for bake sale

Ok, I know it's the weekend and I might have to bump this come Monday, but here goes:

Our company is doing a one-week PBJ food drive next week. It's the first full week of summer, and a lot of kids who are used to getting a meal each day at school aren't at school and aren't getting lunch or breakfast. So we are doing a corporate drive to have employees donate their favorite nut butter and jam/jelly/preserve, which we will donate to local food pantries. We also plan to host a bake sale on Friday -- featuring a baked good with nut butter/jelly is optional -- but I'd like to make something other than the standard peanut butter cookies (of which, I'm sure, we will have a lot!) Proceeds from the bake sale will be used to purchase bread or gift cards for the food pantries.

Anyone else have a creative use for peanut butter in a baked good? I'm thinking maybe a peanut butter/banana bread?? Ideas?
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

I like peanut butter "brownies" with chocolate chips, but really this thread has Joe's name written all over it. I think you should page him
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

THIS recipe from Joe's blog for Buckeyes is fantastic. I made them for Christmas last year - big hit!
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

I second the Buckeyes from Saveur. They're fantastic.

I HIGHLY recommend the triple-play peanut butter cookies that are on this board. They are phenomenal and always a hit at bake sales. If you can't locate the recipe & are interested, let me know and I can track it down.

Valchemist posted this for me a long time ago (I didn't make it though)

Peanut Butter-Oatmeal-Banana Squares

Recipe By : Taste of Home BB
    Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 c butter -- room temperature
    1 c brown sugar
    2 small ripe bananas -- mashed
    1 large egg
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 c peanut butter
    4 cups Quaker oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. With a hand mixer on low speed, beat in the next four ingredients until smooth. Stir in the oats.
    Grease a 9" x 13" baking pan and pour the batter in. Spread evenly, then bake for one hour. Cut into 2" x 2" squares. Makes around 3 dozen.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 261 Calories; 12g Fat (39.9% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 22mg Cholesterol; 152mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : MY NOTE: original recipe called for 3/4 c butter and 1/2 c PB and I reversed that based on a suggestion by Linda

She also posted this one (which I did make)

Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Banana Bread or Muffins

Recipe By : Posted by BlueMoose
    Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breads Breakfast
    Desserts

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (can use all white
    flour)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 ripe large bananas -- mashed
    1 cup skim milk
    3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
    1 tablespoon canola oil (original recipes uses 3 T.) -- can also be made with no oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 large egg
    1 cup milk chocolate chips

In a large bowl stir together flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl combine mashed bananas, milk, peanut butter, oil, vanilla and egg. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into two greased loaf pans or muffin tins. Bake at 350 F for 50 to 55 minutes (check at 40 minutes!) or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Makes 2 loaves or 18-24 muffins

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 244 Calories; 10g Fat (34.1% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 241mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : The original recipe called for some oil, but I just leave it out. You don't need any extra oil with the pb in there.

saw:I LOVE these muffins! Thanks for posting Bluemoose. I started making these when I was pregnant last year and wanted a good snack to eat -- these were perfect with the peanut butter and bananas -- filling and yummy!
    The changes I made:
    * use 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
    * use semi-sweet chips instead of milk chocolate (mostly because I always have those on hand)
    I usually bake them for about 30 minutes at 325 degrees and they turn out great every time! They freeze really well and just a minute or so on defrost in the microwave makes the chips melty and wonderful. I actually made a batch just yesterday...
    Oh -- and as for the oil, I believe it is 3 Tablespoons.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

I can't type all these, but here are just a handful from a few of the books I have to let you know there are plenty of ideas --

Peanut Butter and jelly muffins (Wooden Spoon Bread Book and others)
    Rice Krispie treats made with peanut butter -- and possibly with cocoa krispies (Kelloggs website?)
    peanut butter batter bread (Wooden Spoon Bread Book, Bernard Clayton -- he also has PB-Beer bread)
    graham crackers (one of my bread books -- I made them when DS was little and was surprised by the peanut butter in them)
    Peanut Butter and jelly bars (Martha Stewart Cookies)
    Peanut Butter, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (MS Cookies)
    Peanut Butter blondies, PB brownies and PB cup squares (Ultimate Brownie Book)
    Peanut Butter, chocolate filled cupcakes (MS Cupcakes)
    Peanut Butter swirl or PBJ cheesecake (Junior's)
    Heaven & Hell Cake (All Cakes Considered -- PB & Chocolate)

I know there are many, many more. I may have seen a PB banana bread - will look tomorrow.

Here's a couple that I like.

Peanut Butter and Fudge Filled Bars

BARS
    1 cup butter
    2 cups brown sugar
    1/4 cup peanut butter
    2 eggs
    2 cups oats
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp baking soda

FILLING
    one 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
    2 cups chocolate chips
    2 Tbs peanut butter
    1/2 cup chopped peanuts

Beat together butter, sugar and 1/4 cup peanut butter. Add eggs. Beat well. Add oats, flour, and baking soda, mixing well. Reserve 1 cup mixture for topping and spread remaining on bottom of 13x9-inch pan.

Combine sweetened condensed milk, choc chips and 2 Tbs peanut butter and cook over low heat until smooth, stirring constantly. Stir in peanuts and spread over crust.

Drop reserved oat mixture by teaspoonfuls over choc layer. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes

Oh Henry Bars

1 cup butter
    1 cup brown sugar
    4 cups oats
    3/4 cup peanut butter
    2 cups chocolate chips

Combine brown sugar and oats with butter. Bake at 350 degrees in a greased jellyroll pan or cookie sheet with sides for 15 minutes (you can do in a 9x13 but they're better if it's that one size up so they're thinner - I was going to measure the one I use but I can't find the yardstick ). While still warm, spread peanut butter over top.

Melt chocolate chips and spread over peanut butter. Cool and cut into squares.
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

I'm going to be busy getting my sons ready for different camps the next few days, but if if you want one of the recipes I listed, let me know. I'll try to get it for you. Sorry I didn't say so before.

Fudge Puddles

JackieO, how about some mini tarts or tassies that have peanut butter in them? I wonder what these tasty treats would be like made with extra PB added to the chocolate (see the end of my notes below) and wonder what they would be like made as regular sized tarts (OK, who am I kidding - they'd be great!). For even more peanutty goodness they could be decorated with some finely chopped peanuts or a chocolate covered peanut (either placed on top of the still warm fudge).

From Cyndi at Gail's Recipe Swap

Fudge Puddles- from The Pittsburgh Post Gazette, 12/13/98

1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
    1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
    1/2 c. sugar
    1/2 c. light brown sugar, packed
    1 large egg
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
    3/4 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt

Fudge Filling:
    1 c. milk chocolate chips
    1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
    1 can Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
    1 tsp. vanilla
    chopped peanuts

In mixing bowl, cream butter, peanut butter and sugars, then add egg and vanilla. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt, then add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Mix well. Chill for 1 hour.
    Shape into 48 balls, 1" in diameter. Place in lightly greased mini muffin tins. Bake at 325 degrees F, for 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven, and immediately make "wells" in center of each by lightly pressing with a melon baller. Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then carefully remove to wire racks.
    Filling: Melt chocolate chips in double boiler over simmering water. Stir in milk and vanilla; mix well. Using a small pitcher or pastry bag, fill each shell with filling. Sprinkle with peanuts. (Leftover filling can be stored in refrigerator and served over ice cream).
    Makes 4 dozen cookies

Andy’s notes: Brush tins with liquid lecithin/oil mix (or grease conventionally) - around the outside of the top edge too, in case they overfill the cup. There is no need to clean and regrease between pans when making 48 tassies with two 12-minitart pans. I divide the dough in half, then halve each again to have 4 equal size balls or rolls (about 175 g or 6 oz. each). Roll each log wider and divide in half, and cut each half into 6 equal (approximately) pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place in centre of each cup and press up sides of cups. I baked the cups 16 min. to get a darker, more firm texture. I used a round 2 tsp (10 ml) measuring spoon to form the “cups.” Fill with the still fairly hot or warm filling after all the cups have been made.
    I also tried making the filling with 2 cups semisweet (SS) chocolate chips but it ends up being thicker than when made with 1 each of SS and milk choc. chips. Next time I make them I’m going to try adding a couple Tbs smooth peanut butter to the filling and use milk choc. chips again for a softer filling and more PB taste.
    Cheers! Andy

Or maybe Peanut Butter - Chocolate Brownie Pie? or some Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Scones? or Peanut Butter Cookies for Dogs? (who could resist buying them for their dog?)
    Cheers! Andy

A bit late to the party - here's a few PB favorites from us that we have made!

Peanut Butter And Jam Crescents (Adapted from LCBO)

For the dough

1/4 teaspoon salt
    4 ounces cream cheese, cut into chunks and softened
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks and softened
    2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter

For the filling

3 tablespoons jam
    3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
    1/4 cup finely chopped peanuts
    1 large egg yolk
    1 tablespoon milk
    confectioners' sugar, for dusting

To prepare the dough

In a large bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Add cream cheese, butter and peanut butter - using your hands, work mixture together until blended. Evenly divide dough into 2 pieces, shape each into a disc and wrap well. Place into the refrigerator until firm, at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, stir together jam and peanut butter - it doesn't have to be completely combined.

On your work surface, lightly dusted with flour, roll 1 piece dough into a 10" circle. Spread half of the peanut butter jam mixture over the top, followed by half of the peanuts, pressing them lightly to adhere. Evenly slice the dough into 16 wedges - roll up each wedge tightly, starting at the outside wide edge. Set crescents onto a baking sheet lined with parchment. Repeat process with remaining dough and filling.

In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and milk. Brush top of cookies with egg wash.

Place crescents into the oven to bake until lightly browned, about 16 to 18 minutes. Remove and transfer crescents to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.

Makes about 32 crescents.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars (Adapted from Martha Stewart)

3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoons salt
    16 tablespoons (1 cup or 2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 1/2 cups smooth peanut butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 1/2 cups strawberry jam
    2/3 cup coarsely chopped salted peanuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in peanut butter. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until well combined after each. Mix in vanilla. Pour in dry ingredients and mix just until combined.

Scoop out about two-thirds of the mixture and place into the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking pan coated with cooking spray. Press down to form a level crust. Dollop jam over the top, then spread smooth using an off-set spatula. Take remaining third of the peanut butter crust and evenly crumble it all over to form the top crust. Scatter the top with peanuts.

Place into the oven and bake until the top is golden, about 45 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting into bars.

Makes about 32 bars.

Bittersweet Peanut Butter Krispie Surprise Balls (adapted from Nestle)

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    pinch salt
    12 ounces (about 2 cups) chopped bittersweet chocolate
    7 ounces marshmallow fluff
    6 cups Rice Krispies
    24 dark chocolate Reese's miniatures
    3 ounces (about 1/2 cup) butterscotch chips

In a large saucepan, add butter and salt - heat over low until melted. Add chocolate and fluff - stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.

Remove from the heat and stir in Rice Krispies until well combined. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the mixture into the bottom of 24 muffin cups placed inside two twelve-cup muffin tins. Place a Reese's candy on to the center of each muffin cup. Scoop another heaping tablespoon of the cereal mixture and place it over the Reese's candy, pressing to adhere.

In a microwave-safe bowl, add butterscotch chips - heat on medium power, stirring every 15 seconds, until melted and smooth. Drizzle over the tops of the cereal balls and refrigerate briefly to set the top.

Makes 24 treats.

Peanut Butter and Fudge Brownies with Salted Peanuts (Adapted from Dorie Greenspan)

For the brownie batter

12 tablespoons unsalted butter
    7 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
    3 ounces chopped unsweetened chocolate
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    4 large eggs
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup roasted salted peanuts, coarsely chopped

For the peanut butter frosting

1 cup chunky peanut butter
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 tablespoon milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla

For the chocolate topping

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    7 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a large saucepan, add butter, bittersweet and unsweetened chocolate. Place over low heat and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat - whisk in sugar, vanilla, espresso powder and salt. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Stir in flour. Add nuts and fold in just until combined. Scoop the mixture into a 9" x 13" baking pan coated with nonstick spray - bake until a toothpick placed into the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and place baking pan on a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting

In a large mixing bowl, beat peanut butter and butter until combined. Add confectioners' sugar, salt, and nutmeg, mixing until combined. Mix in milk and vanilla. Scoop the mixture on top of the brownies and spread to an even layer with an off-set spatula.

To prepare the topping

In a small skillet, add butter and chocolate - heat and stir over low until melted and smooth. Pour over the peanut butter layer and spread smooth with an off-set spatula. Place into the refrigerator and chill until set, about an hour and a half, before cutting into bars to serve.

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Bundt Cake (Adapted from Canadian Living)

For the filling

2/3 cup peanut butter
    1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
    1 tablespoon butter, softened
    3 egg yolks
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

For the cake batter

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoons salt
    12 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
    3/4 cup boiling water
    3 ounces quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    12 tablespoons sour cream
    12 tablespoons butter, softened
    1 2/3 cups packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350

To make the filling

In a large mixing bowl, beat peanut butter, cream cheese and butter until combined. Add egg yolks, one at a time, and beat until combined. Mix in vanilla. Be sure to scrape down the sides. Pour in sugar and flour, mix until combined. Fit a pastry bag with a large plain tip and scoop the filling into the bag. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.

To make the batter

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.

In a medium metal or glass bowl, add cocoa and whisk in boiling water. Add in chopped chocolate and whisk until smooth. Mix in sour cream.

In large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs, one at a time, and then beat in vanilla. Alternatively mix in the dry ingredients and the cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. For example - mix in 1/3 of the flour, 1/2 of the cocoa mixture, another 1/3 of the flour, the rest of the cocoa mixture and finishing with the final 1/3 of the flour. Mixing just until combined with each addition.

Spray a bundt pan with a nonstick spray that has flour included (like Baker's Joy or Pam with Flour). Spoon a little less than half of the batter into bottom of the bundt pan. Using the pastry bag that has the peanut butter mixture, carefully pipe a ring of the filling over the center of the chocolate batter. Pour the remaining batter on top and gently tap the pan to remove air bubbles.

Bake until top springs back when lightly touched or a toothpick comes out mostly clean with a few crumbs attached - about 50-60 minutes. Remove from the oven and set on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Place a wire cooling rack on top of the cake and carefully turn over - remove the pan and let cool completely.

Two Toned Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge

1 cup peanut butter chips
    1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
    2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
    1 7 ounce jar marshmallow cream
    3/4 cup evaporated milk
    1/4 cup butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Line an 8" X 8" pan with foil.

In 2 separate heat-safe medium bowls, place 1 cup peanut butter chips in one and chocolate chips in the other

In a heavy 3 quart sauce pan, combine sugar, marshmallow creme, evaporated milk and butter.
    Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils; boil and stir 5 minutes.
    Remove from heat and quickly stir in vanilla.

Working safely, but quickly, stir one-half of the hot mixture into peanut butter
    chips and the other half into the chocolate chips. Stir the peanut butter mixture until
    fully melted and quickly pour into prepared pan.

Stir the chocolate chips mixture until fully melted and carefully spread over top of peanut butter layer.

Let sit at room temperature until completely cool. Cut into small squares.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Joe had these on his blog a while ago...wonderful cookies!!

Peanut Butter Munchies
    Makes 32 cookies

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup peanut butter
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda; set aside.
    2. In a large mixing bowl beat together butter, the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, and the 1/4 cup peanut butter with an electric mixer until combined. Add egg, milk, and vanilla; beat well. Beat in as much of the dry ingredients as you can with mixer. Stir in remaining dry ingredients by hand with a wooden spoon. Form chocolate dough into 32 balls about 1-1/4 inches in diameter. Set aside.
    3. For peanut butter filling, in a medium mixing bowl combine powdered sugar and the remaining 1/2 cup peanut butter until smooth. Shape mixture into 32 (3/4-inch) balls.
    4. On a work surface, slightly flatten a chocolate dough ball and top with a peanut butter ball. Shape the chocolate dough over the peanut butter filling, completely covering the filling. Roll dough into a ball. Repeat with the remaining chocolate dough and peanut butter filling balls.
    5. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Lightly flatten with the bottom of a glass dipped in the 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
    6. Bake cookies in preheated oven for 8 minutes or until they’re just set and surface is slightly cracked. Let cookies stand for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool. Makes 32 cookies.
    To Store: Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow.-Proverbs

I haven't tried these REESE Peanut Butter Nanaimo Bar yet but the look so good

http://www.hersheycanada.com/en/reci...l.asp?id=6961#

REESE Peanut Butter Nanaimo Bar
    Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
    Base:
    •1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
    •1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
    •1/3 cup (75 mL) HERSHEY'S® Cocoa
    •1 egg, beaten
    •1 3/4 cups (425 mL) graham cracker crumbs
    •1 cup (250 mL) sweetened, flaked coconut
    Filling:
    •1/2 cup (125 mL) CHIPITS® REESE® Peanut Butter Chips
    •1/2 cup (125 mL) softened butter
    •1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
    •2 tbsp (30 mL) custard powder
    Glaze:
    •1/2 cup (125 mL) CHIPITS® SPECIAL DARK® or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
    •1/2 cup (125 mL) CHIPITS® REESE® Peanut Butter Chips
    •2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
    Directions:

1. Base: Line an 8-inch (1.5 L) square baking dish with foil or parchment. Melt butter in a large, heavy pot set over medium-low heat. Add sugar and cocoa; cook, stirring until sugar is melted and mixture is smooth. Add egg; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute or until hot throughout. Remove from heat; stir in crumbs and coconut. Press into prepared pan.

2. Filling: Melt peanut butter chips in a heatproof bowl set over simmering water; cool slightly for about 3 minutes. Beat melted chips with butter until smooth. Add icing sugar and custard powder; beat on high for 3 minutes or until very fluffy. Spread evenly over the base. Chill until set.

3. Glaze: Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips with peanut butter chips and butter. Cool slightly; spread evenly over second layer. Chill just until set. Remove chilled dessert from the pan; slice into bars. Serve at room temperature. Makes 24 bars.

Tips:

• Using a double boiler or a bowl set over a pot of simmering water when melting the chips will ensure that they melt evenly every time.

• Creating an overhang with the foil will allow the bars to be removed easily from the pan for slicing.

• To set the dessert faster during preparation, place in the freezer for up to 20 minutes between layers.
    newcook

Better than Reeses

These are a favorite and very easy and quick:
    Better Than Reeses
    Melt:
    2 sticks butter
    Add:
    1 box confectioner's sugar
    1 c. peanut butter
    2 c. graham cracker crumbs
    Mix all together and press into 9x13" pan.
    Melt 12 oz. pk semi sweet chocolate chips and
    spread on top. Cut into squares to serve.

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    She also posted this one (which I did make)

Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Banana Bread or Muffins

Recipe By : Posted by BlueMoose
    Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breads Breakfast
    Desserts

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (can use all white
    flour)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 ripe large bananas -- mashed
    1 cup skim milk
    3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
    1 tablespoon canola oil (original recipes uses 3 T.) -- can also be made with no oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 large egg
    1 cup milk chocolate chips

In a large bowl stir together flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl combine mashed bananas, milk, peanut butter, oil, vanilla and egg. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into two greased loaf pans or muffin tins. Bake at 350 F for 50 to 55 minutes (check at 40 minutes!) or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Makes 2 loaves or 18-24 muffins

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 244 Calories; 10g Fat (34.1% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 241mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : The original recipe called for some oil, but I just leave it out. You don't need any extra oil with the pb in there.

saw:I LOVE these muffins! Thanks for posting Bluemoose. I started making these when I was pregnant last year and wanted a good snack to eat -- these were perfect with the peanut butter and bananas -- filling and yummy!
    The changes I made:
    * use 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
    * use semi-sweet chips instead of milk chocolate (mostly because I always have those on hand)
    I usually bake them for about 30 minutes at 325 degrees and they turn out great every time! They freeze really well and just a minute or so on defrost in the microwave makes the chips melty and wonderful. I actually made a batch just yesterday...
    Oh -- and as for the oil, I believe it is 3 Tablespoons.
    Thanks for posting this recipe. I made these this morning...so good.
    "Broken cookies don't have calories" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon Crazy View Post
    Thanks for posting this recipe. I made these this morning...so good.
    I'm just curious, did you use the cinnamon? I can't seem to wrap my mind around using cinnamon with peanut butter.
    newcook

I made it with the cinnamon when I made it and it was fine. But, I also like peanut butter on cinnamon-swirled raisin bread
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Quote Originally Posted by newcook View Post
    I'm just curious, did you use the cinnamon? I can't seem to wrap my mind around using cinnamon with peanut butter.
    Yes, I used the cinnamon. But cinnamon is my obsession so I really liked it in the recipe.
    "Broken cookies don't have calories" - Unknown

Red face Please accept my belated thanks!

Wow! Thanks to all of you who posted. Who knew there were such great ideas for baking with peanut butter? (Well, I guess Joe, for one!)

Those Rice Krispie things with the Reese's dark miniatures look amazing! As does the fudge, the brownies...and I seem to remember Val's muffin recipe from a few years ago.

Since I"m a little pressed for time Thursday night (and since it's HOT here), I remembered a no-bake option. Peanut butter pie. So, while i'm printing out all your suggestions for the future, here's a cool option for a hot summer day:

Peanut Butter Pie
    1 8-0z pkg cream cheese, softened
    3/4 C. sifted powdered sugar
    2 T. milk
    1/2 C. creamy peanut butter
    1 large carton Cool Whip
    9" graham cracker or Oreo crust

Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until creamy. Add milk and peanut butter; beat until fluffy. Fold in Cool Whip. Pour into crust. Chill at least 5 hours. Can be frozen.
    ---W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by JackieO View Post

Peanut Butter Pie
    2 T. milk
    1 large carton Cool Whip

Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until creamy. Add milk and peanut butter; beat until fluffy. Fold in Cool Whip. Pour into crust. Chill at least 5 hours. Can be frozen.
    Wow, yum. This is on my to-try list next time my nephews need a sweet fix. I certainly could not be trusted alone with that! Thanks for all of the great ideas in this thread everyone.

Kate

Exclamation Updates!

Quote Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
    Peanut Butter Pie
    2 T. milk
    1 large carton Cool Whip

Just finished making this tonight, and realized I haven't made it in probably 10 years. This recipe is <old>.

First, soften the cream cheese and thaw the Cool Whip before you start to make the pie. Second, I'm pretty sure this vintage recipe refers to a "large" carton of Cool Whip as probably in the 8-oz range vs. the 12-oz tub I bought this week. I used about 3/4 of the 12-oz, and the mixture was great.

That being said, this is one awesome, easy dessert! Enjoy.
    ---W.C.Fields