Community Message Boards
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: I need a great pasta salad recipe

  1. #1

    I need a great pasta salad recipe

    I'm going to a 4th of July bbq this weekend and I volunteered to make a pasta salad. I'm looking for a great recipe. I'm thinking something kind of Italian based. Maybe with herbs since I have a lot of herbs in my garden. Something really delicious that looks great too. Please pass along your ideas. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Posts
    1,055
    I love this pasta salad given to me by a vegetarian friend who omits the tuna. I normally put it in, but it is delicious either way. Feel free to play with the herbs and ingredients. I use this as a template. Nice with colored rotini pasta.

    Roasted Red Bell Pepper Pasta Salad
    ¾ lb pasta, cooked
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    ¼ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
    ½ teaspoon pepper
    Salt to taste
    2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
    2 roasted red bell peppers, chopped
    2 tins tuna, drained and flaked (okay to omit)
    2 tablespoons chopped black olives
    ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
    ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
    2 green onions, chopped

    In a large bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes, peppers, tuna and olives. Add parsley, basil and green onion. Add cooked pasta and adjust seasonings. Serve warm or at room temperature.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    19,680
    I like to make variations on the Lemony Orzo I first found posted by Sneezles: light, bright flavors and very adaptable.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    514
    I don't know how to post a link so I've copied the recipe from the canadian cancer society. Its an older Anne Lindsay recipe that is a summer stable for any family gathering, it is the one salad always quaranteed to be on the table.



    Pasta Salad with Sweet Peppers and Dill

    You can add any of the usual salad ingredients to this dish except lettuce. It’s a terrific salad to have on hand in the refrigerator for a ready-made summer meal or a picnic. Vegetables can be crisply cooked, but I like the crunch or them raw. To serve as a main course, add shrimp, julienne strips of ham, chicken and/or cheese.

    Ingredients

    3 cups (750 mL) penne (or ½ lb/250 g pasta)

    1 ¼ cups (300 mL) snow peas or green beans (4 oz/125 g)

    3 cups (750 mL) small cauliflower pieces

    1 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced carrots

    2 sweet peppers (red, yellow, green or purple or combination), chopped

    2 green onions, chopped

    1 ½ lb (750 g) large, cooked shrimp (optional)

    ½ cup (125 mL) chopped fresh dill leaves*


    *If fresh dill isn’t available, substitute fresh parsley and/or basil.

    Dressing
    2 cloves garlic, minced

    ¼ cup (50 mL) balsamic or red wine vinegar

    ¼ cup (50 mL) fresh lemon juice

    1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar

    1 tsp (5 mL) crushed dried oregano leaves

    ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper

    1/3 cup (75 mL) water

    ¼ cup (50 mL) olive oil


    Preparation
    In large saucepan of boiling water, cook pasta until tender but firm (tasted for doneness after 2 minutes for fresh pasta, 5 minutes for dry). Drain and rinse under cold running water; drain again.

    Blanch snow peas or green beans in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water; drain again. Cut diagonally into 2-inch (5 cm) lengths.

    In large bowl, combine cauliflower, carrots, sweet peppers, green onions, dill, snow peas and pasta; toss into mix.

    Dressing: In food processor or bowl, combine garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper, mixing well. While processing or whisking, add water and oil, mixing well. Pour over salad and toss to mix.

    Makes about 10 servings, 1 cup (250 mL) each.

    To make ahead: prepare salad but only half of the dressing: cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Add remaining dressing just before serving.

    Per srving
    161 calories

    4 g protein

    6 g total fat

    1 g saturated fat

    0 mg cholesterol

    24 g carbohydrate

    3 g dietary fibre

    126 mg sodium

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,010
    Here's one we like:

    Tortellini Salad

    2 (9-ounce) packages refrigerated cheese tortellini
    1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
    1 cup Caesar salad dressing
    3 ounces salami, sliced
    1 (2 1/4-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
    4 green onions, chopped
    Garnish: whole green onions

    Cook cheese tortellini according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water.

    Toss together tortellini and next 5 ingredients; garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
    Sue

    Women are Angels
    And when someone breaks our wings, our spirit, or our hearts...
    We simply continue to fly.........
    on a broomstick...
    We are flexible like that ....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    3,457
    This recipe was really well-received when I made it:

    [Broccoli, Cherry Tomato, and Pasta Salad


    Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 1/2 cups)


    Herb mixture:
    1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
    1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    12 mint leaves
    1 garlic clove, peeled

    Dressing:
    2 garlic cloves, peeled
    1/3 cup 2% low-fat cottage cheese
    1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    Dash of black pepper
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese

    Salad:
    7 cups small broccoli florets
    2 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
    2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
    2 cups cooked medium seashell or rotini pasta (about 4 ounces uncooked pasta)
    1/2 cup minced shallots
    2 tablespoons capers
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and halved

    To prepare herb mixture, combine first 6 ingredients on a cutting board; finely chop, and reserve 3 tablespoons. Set remaining herb mixture aside.

    To prepare the dressing, place the reserved 3 tablespoons herb mixture in a food processor. Drop 2 garlic cloves through the food chute with food processor on; process until minced. Add cottage cheese and next 6 ingredients (cottage cheese through dash of pepper) to food processor; process until smooth. Stir in feta.

    To prepare salad, steam broccoli, covered, 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Cool. Combine remaining herb mixture, broccoli, mushrooms, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour dressing over salad; toss well.


    CALORIES 327 (24% from fat); FAT 8.8g (sat 3g,mono 3.4g,poly 0.9g); IRON 4.3mg; CHOLESTEROL 14mg; CALCIUM 248mg; CARBOHYDRATE 50g; SODIUM 768mg; PROTEIN 18.4g; FIBER 7g

    Cooking Light, JUNE 1999
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lithia, FL
    Posts
    1,833
    Hands-down our favorite pasta salad is the Barefoot Contessa recipe below:

    Orzo with Roasted Veggies
    Barefoot Contessa

    1 small eggplant, peeled and 3/4-inch diced
    1 red bell pepper, 1-inch diced
    1 yellow bell pepper, 1-inch diced
    1 red onion, peeled and 1-inch diced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/3 cup good olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 pound orzo or rice-shaped pasta

    For the dressing:
    1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
    1/3 cup good olive oil
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

    To assemble:
    4 scallions, minced (white and green parts)
    1/4 cup pignolis, toasted
    3/4 pound good feta, 1/2-inch diced (not crumbled)
    15 fresh basil leaves, cut into julienne

    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

    Toss the eggplant, bell peppers, onion, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, and pepper on a large sheet pan. Roast for 40 minutes, until browned, turning once with a spatula.

    Meanwhile, cook the orzo in boiling salted water for 7 to 9 minutes, until tender. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the roasted vegetables to the pasta, scraping all the liquid and seasonings from the roasting pan into the pasta bowl.

    For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and pour on the pasta and vegetables. Let cool to room temperature, then add the scallions, pignolis, feta, and basil. Check the seasonings, and serve at room temperature.


    Lynne


    To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Great Pacific N.W.
    Posts
    377
    I just posted a new thread on this site, for the recipe for Ginger Peanut Chicken Noodle salad.

    You might want to try that.
    Keep Calm & Eat More Bacon !!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hollywood, California
    Posts
    10,883
    This is an oldie from Silver Palate

    Pasta Primavera Gregory from "The Silver Palate Cookbook"

    A light and lovely tangle of pasta and fresh vegetables. Serve pasta primavera as the first course or light main course of a spring dinner on the terrace. Feel free to substitute your favorite fresh vegetables and herbs in the appropriate quantities.

    1⁄2 pound green fettuccine

    1⁄2 pound regular egg fettuccine

    1⁄3 cup best-quality olive oil

    1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion

    3⁄4 pound snow peas

    1⁄3 pound sugar snap peas

    3⁄4 pound sliced prosciutto, cut into coarse julienne

    2 ripe plum tomatoes, quartered

    2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded,
    and cut into fine julienne

    8 scallions (green onions), well rinsed, trimmed, cut diagonally into 1⁄2-inch pieces

    1⁄2 cup snipped chives, basil, or
    other fresh herbs

    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

    4 tablespoons raspberry vinegar, or
    to taste

    1⁄4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

    1 cup imported black olives (any kind)

    Grated zest of 1 orange, lemon, or lime

    1. Bring 4 quarts salted water to a boil in a large pot. Stir in all the fettuccine. Cook until tender but still firm, and drain immediately. Transfer the pasta to a large mixing bowl, add the olive oil and chopped onion, and toss gently to combine. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

    2. Bring another 4 quarts salted water to a boil. Add the snow peas and sugar snap peas. Cook for 1 minute, drain, and plunge
    the peas immediately into a large bowl of ice water. Let stand for
    10 minutes. Drain the peas and pat thoroughly dry.

    3. Add the peas to the pasta in the mixing bowl along with the prosciutto, tomatoes, bell pepper, scallions, and chives or herbs. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle on the raspberry vinegar,
    and toss gently.

    4. Toss the pasta and vegetables with the grated cheese, taste, and correct the seasoning. Arrange the pasta on a large serving platter. Scatter the olives and citrus zest over the pasta and serve
    at room temperature.

    6 portions
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

    Meatloaf

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by golden1225 View Post
    Hands-down our favorite pasta salad is the Barefoot Contessa recipe below:

    Orzo with Roasted Veggies
    Barefoot Contessa

    1 small eggplant, peeled and 3/4-inch diced
    1 red bell pepper, 1-inch diced
    1 yellow bell pepper, 1-inch diced
    1 red onion, peeled and 1-inch diced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/3 cup good olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 pound orzo or rice-shaped pasta

    For the dressing:
    1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
    1/3 cup good olive oil
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

    To assemble:
    4 scallions, minced (white and green parts)
    1/4 cup pignolis, toasted
    3/4 pound good feta, 1/2-inch diced (not crumbled)
    15 fresh basil leaves, cut into julienne

    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

    Toss the eggplant, bell peppers, onion, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, and pepper on a large sheet pan. Roast for 40 minutes, until browned, turning once with a spatula.

    Meanwhile, cook the orzo in boiling salted water for 7 to 9 minutes, until tender. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the roasted vegetables to the pasta, scraping all the liquid and seasonings from the roasting pan into the pasta bowl.

    For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and pour on the pasta and vegetables. Let cool to room temperature, then add the scallions, pignolis, feta, and basil. Check the seasonings, and serve at room temperature.



    Go with this can't miss recipe!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    4,478
    here's another tortellini one that's really really good- I usually serve it as a salad although for tailgates i'll skewer it. I double the recipe, use a mix of green and black olives, and leave out the bell peppers (DH doesnt' like). The dressing is really really good

    Pasta Shish Kebab

    of Tide and Thyme

    1 (12 to 16 ounce) package frozen tortellini
    2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    ¼ cup olive oil
    3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
    1-2 cloves fresh chopped garlic
    1½ teaspoons oregano
    ⅛ teaspoon black ground pepper
    1 sliced or cubed red pepper
    1 sliced or cubed green pepper
    1 (8 ounce) package cubed mozzarella cheese (I use string cheese and cut into cubes)

    Cook tortellini according to package directions. Do not overcook.

    To make dressing, mix lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, garlic, oregano, and black pepper in a bowl.

    Immediately place hot pasta into dressing so flavors will be absorbed.

    Add peppers and cheese and marinate for 24 hours. (I made this once the afternoon before I took it to a cookout and it tasted good, better if you can marinate but ok if you're in a pinch)

    Either serve as a salad or place one of each ingredient on skewers for hors d’oeuvres.

    Refrigerate until ready to serve.
    Cheryl

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by cherylopal View Post
    here's another tortellini one that's really really good- I usually serve it as a salad although for tailgates i'll skewer it. I double the recipe, use a mix of green and black olives, and leave out the bell peppers (DH doesnt' like). The dressing is really really good

    Pasta Shish Kebab

    of Tide and Thyme

    1 (12 to 16 ounce) package frozen tortellini
    2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    ¼ cup olive oil
    3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
    1-2 cloves fresh chopped garlic
    1½ teaspoons oregano
    ⅛ teaspoon black ground pepper
    1 sliced or cubed red pepper
    1 sliced or cubed green pepper
    1 (8 ounce) package cubed mozzarella cheese (I use string cheese and cut into cubes)

    Cook tortellini according to package directions. Do not overcook.

    To make dressing, mix lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, garlic, oregano, and black pepper in a bowl.

    Immediately place hot pasta into dressing so flavors will be absorbed.

    Add peppers and cheese and marinate for 24 hours. (I made this once the afternoon before I took it to a cookout and it tasted good, better if you can marinate but ok if you're in a pinch)

    Either serve as a salad or place one of each ingredient on skewers for hors d’oeuvres.

    Refrigerate until ready to serve.
    Cheryl - this looks really good. Is that fresh or dried oregano in the recipe?
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    4,478
    Quote Originally Posted by jtoepfert100 View Post
    Cheryl - this looks really good. Is that fresh or dried oregano in the recipe?
    it doesn't say so i assume dried- i've made it with both dried and fresh but assume the amount listed is for dried..
    Cheryl

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    3,457
    That's what I assumed but I wasn't sure. Thanks! Also, I never thought about subbing string cheese for mozzarella. What a great idea!
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    4,478
    Quote Originally Posted by jtoepfert100 View Post
    Also, I never thought about subbing string cheese for mozzarella. What a great idea!
    That's because the store was out of any kind of good mozzarella the first time I went to make this
    Cheryl

  16. #16
    I third the Orzo with Roasted Vegetables - we LOVE that salad and always get oohhs and aaahhs when we serve it. You can reduce the amount of olive oil when making it to have it be a bit more figure friendly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •