Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you wash in hot water?

What do you wash in hot water?

I have been washing my clothes for over 25 yrs and my mom always washing in cold water so I took the habit to wash in cold water except that once in a while I will wash my towels in hot water and other days in cold water and dry them in the dryer.

I was recently reading that you should wash your bedding, towels and underwear always on very hot water.

I find that doing that the underwear don't last and the towels fade really fast.

We were never sick in my family growing up and I raised my family with cold water and they seem to be fine.

What do you do? Do you wash everything in hot water?
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

I only wash towels and bed linens in hot water. I use cold for everything else.

I wash almost everything on "warm" to keep from having to make a decision!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

I wash whites in hot water.

And anything that the dogs lay on . . . or do anything else on!!!
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

I wash towels, bedding and all whites in hot. For the men in my family, I wash their undergarments in white and bleach.

I wash everything in cold except occaisionally a load of towels. If someone is ill (rare now, but was more frequent when the kids were little) I will wash their bedding and towels in hot.

My tighty whities and socks get washed in hot water with soap and bleach.

I wash everything in cold unless it is really yucky or dog related. And "really yucky" is normally dog related.

DH will wash his whites in hot but he hasn't complained or notice a difference when I wash them in cold.

Towels and bedding in hot, everything else in warm.
    Occasionally, if i do hand-washable stuff in a bag and delicate cycle, I will use cold.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I've always used cold on everything but now you guys have me rethinking that.

I wash everything in cold. I wash all my kitchen towels separately, and if I remember, I wash them in warm.

In the summer, I hang everything out to dry on the clothes line, then give our clothes a quick toss in the dryer to knock the wrinkles out. I like wrinkly towels!

Only towels and linens in hot, everything else in cold. Not only is cold water easier on clothes but it's less expensive to no heat the water. I hang dry about half of my wash as well.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Still thinking on this cold water deal - I try and buy the cold water detergent that Tide makes if it's available. Any idea what the difference in it and regular detergent is? Is it really necessary?

I wash everything in cold ... in fact, my current washer isn't even hooked up to the hot water.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

My washer (Whirlpool Duet) automatically selects warm, so I usually keep that setting for most items out of laziness to change it. However, bedding and towels (except dark colors) are hot, sports socks and undies are hot, dark t-shirts and jeans are cold. I don't put jeans and some t-shirts in the dryer due to shrinkage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shugness View Post
    Still thinking on this cold water deal - I try and buy the cold water detergent that Tide makes if it's available. Any idea what the difference in it and regular detergent is? Is it really necessary?
    I buy it from time to time, but haven't used it for just cold loads. I personally think it's the same detergent but just labelled COLD as a marketing ploy so that people would be get into the habit of washing all loads in cold and feel okay about it. (I'm not an expert though to know if this is correct )

Just whites.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I wash most things in warm water. Almost everthing I have goes into the dryer so it gets sanitized with high heat anyway.

I use mostly warm water, except for hubbies tees. He has a million of them and it seems that if I wash them in warm water they shrink...even if I hang dry them. They go in cold.

I use cold water almost exclusively. I'll wash bedding and bathroom rugs on hot- and DH does his work laundry in hot. Other than that, though it's cold water all the way.

For me, it's purely because I'm lazy. If I wash in hot water, I'll have to sort clothes to keep the whites white. It I wash in cold, I don't have problems with color bleeding, and don't have to worry about a few errant socks in with the jeans.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

We wash towels and workout clothes in hot. I do sheets in warm.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

I wash bedding in hot water. I have read that that is the best way to get rid of allergens. No idea if that is true or not, but since we have terrible allergies and asthma I figure it can't hurt. I sometimes wash whites on hot if they are really dirty, but more often I soak whites in a sink full of hot water and oxiclean, and then just wash them in cold water. I do wash DD's dance leotards and DS's and DH's workout clothes in hot as they get really stinky.

Everything else gets washed in cold. I don't think I have ever used the warm setting on a washer.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

Everything in cold. No bleach ... only OxiClean.

Quote Originally Posted by mrswaz View Post
    I use cold water almost exclusively. I'll wash bedding and bathroom rugs on hot- and DH does his work laundry in hot. Other than that, though it's cold water all the way.

For me, it's purely because I'm lazy. If I wash in hot water, I'll have to sort clothes to keep the whites white. It I wash in cold, I don't have problems with color bleeding, and don't have to worry about a few errant socks in with the jeans.
    Oh ha ha warm I think which is a compromise for everything I shove in a load -- but I really don't do many loads. My towels are used to dry myself after I wash or shower so how dirty could they be. My underwear wouldn't take hot water without disintegrating anyway -- ditto with my work out clothing which has spandex. My Thorlo socks do well in warm water.

On the subject of washing, what do you do about spots on light colored t-shirts? I inevitably drip something whatever I eat and I try to remember to spritz with some kind of stain helper -- but should I do that immediately even though it's not going to be washed for awhile?
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Quote Originally Posted by Robyncz View Post
    I wash almost everything on "warm" to keep from having to make a decision!
    Your post made me laugh at myself. I remember when we first moved to Texas and I shrunk the girls' bluejeans washing them on "cold" in late August in time for school start. Mom was not popular

I wash bedding and towels on warm, clothes on cold and spray if needed with OxiClean. Nowadays I only use liquid detergents but I think some of the granular varieties wouldn't dissolve/rinse out as well in cold water. Am I wrong?
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Quote Originally Posted by swedish cook View Post

I wash bedding and towels on warm, clothes on cold and spray if needed with OxiClean. Nowadays I only use liquid detergents but I think some of the granular varieties wouldn't dissolve/rinse out as well in cold water. Am I wrong?
    I believe this to be true - that's the reason I switched to liquid, I kept finding clumps of detergent powder in the dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Just whites.
    Me, too. Occasionally towels, but that's all. Everything else, except delicates (which include lots of things you wouldn't think of as delicate) are on warm, with a cold rinse -- that's built-in to my machine.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Only towels and linens in hot, everything else in cold. Not only is cold water easier on clothes but it's less expensive to no heat the water. I hang dry about half of my wash as well.
    I am surprised at how many people wash in hot water. I am always conscious of saving energy and still can't tell myself to wash in hot, except towels.

I have seen people that washes in hot water and their clothes do not stay nice long.

And I also love to hang my clothes and this saves more energy.

I would love to know what is on my clothes that can be so terrible to need a hot wash.

Even my whites in cold stay white. Never had a problem with them.
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

I use warm wash, cold rinse. the 'warm" water is really not very warm, maybe 115 degrees max? It feels barely lukewarm to me but seems to get thinks cleaner than "cold" did. I don't remember every using "hot". this way I don't have to separate colors, whites etc and I've never had an issue with fading or bleeding. I think a too hot dryer is where a lot of things get fried ( elastic, spandex) so I dry most on low heat even if it takes longer. and some things must hang dry.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Bed linens, towels, and gym socks.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland