Community Message Boards

Thread: Veggie Burgers That Won't Fall Apart

Atlanta GA USA

Veggie Burgers That Won't Fall Apart

We are having friends over on July 4th and want to serve veggie burgers. Since it's for company, we would very much like the burgers to stay intact and not fall apart as some veggie burgers do. Any suggestions for burgers that taste good but that won't fall apart?
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

Are you looking for recipes or store bought burgers??

If store bought, Boca and Morningstar both have several different flavored burgers that are firm and would hold up. I also think Dr. Praeger's are fairly firm, but I'm not too keen on those, so I can't say 100% if they would or wouldn't.

As for recipes, I can't really help too much. The only veggie burgers I've made are falafel type and I don't think that would hold up too well.

Check out this blog . There is a post on how to use cornmeal to keep veggie burgers from falling apart.

Sugar Land TX USA
    We really like these - but you DO need to be careful when you turn them. They firm up after you've flipped them, but they are not as firm as meat burgers. The flavor is great.

California Black Bean Burgers (5)

15 oz black beans with cumin & spices, undrained**
    4.5 oz can chopped green chilies
    1 C plain dried bread crumbs
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    1 Tbs cornmeal
    2 tsp veg oil
    2 Tbs light mayo
    5 hamburger buns, toasted
    1 ¼ C iceberg lettuce (leaves or shredded)
    1/3 C thick & chunky salsa

Slightly mash beans. Add chilies, crumbs & egg. Mix by hand until blended. Shape into 5 patties. Spread cornmeal on plate and turn patties in cornmeal to coat. Saute in hot oil 5 min/side. Spread mayo on bottom of bun, top with lettuce, patty, salsa, bun top.

**Used Ranch brand black beans with jalapeno, seasoned with 1 tsp ancho chili powder – then eliminated the green chilies.

Atlanta GA USA
    Thanks! We definitely want to make homemade burgers (would feel too guilty otherwise, serving them to company). We will try the recipe.
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

My favorite veg burger by far. It stays together really well. I have also used black beans and it was great.

Moon Time's Anasazi Bean Burger
    From Moon Time pub
    1 cup dried Anasazi beans
    1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more as needed
    1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
    1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
    1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
    1/4 cup carrots, diced
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 egg
    Approximately 1 cup dried bread crumbs
    Cook the beans in water for approximately 1 hour, until soft but not mushy. Drain (but don't rinse) and cool.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan. Saute the onion, bell peppers and carrot until soft, about 10 minutes. Cool.

Process the beans in a food processor until roughly chopped (only a couple of pulses). Remove the beans and repeat that step for the vegetables.

Combine beans and vegetables in a large mixing bowl, season with cumin, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste. Add the egg and then work the bread crumbs into the bean mixture, starting with small amounts and gradually adding more. It should hold together and have a texture similar to pie dough. If the mixture seems a little dry, add up to 1 tablespoon additional olive oil.

Form four patties. Saute with 1 tablespoon olive oil until golden, approximately 3 minutes on each side. Add a slice of cheddar and serve with mayonnaise.

Yield: 4 servings
    Nutrition per serving: 350 calories, 10 grams fat (1.7 grams saturated, 26 percent fat calories), 15 grams protein, 50 grams carbohydrate, 53 milligrams cholesterol, 10.6 grams dietary fiber, 398 milligrams sodium.

Look up the recipe for chick pea cutlets from Veganomican and customize it to your liking. I have vital wheat gluten in the pantry from trying that recipe so I added it to my veggie burgers I was just winging last night to get them to hold together. The stuff is great for that. It gives them a stretchy, chewy texture that's almost meaty, too. The first couple I fried without it came more like loose potato pancakes instead.

Kenmore NY, near Buffalo
    a tip from Bittman that works for any veggie burger-- chill them thoroughly first. it really helps.