Community Message Boards

Thread: UPick Blueberries price per pound?

UPick Blueberries price per pound?

How much are you guys paying for u-pick blueberries? My SIL picked a month or so ago and paid about $5/lb. I went to visit my MIL and we paid $1.50/lb for organic berries! What a difference in price! What do you guys pay?

The only place I've gone is an organic farm with all union labor (well, not the u-pickers ) and it's $2.50/pound for strawberries.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

$2/pound and this is the last weekend for this organic orchard.

http://www.pickyourown.org/PYO.php?U...etorchards.com

The one we have around here is $2.50 for a pound of you pick berries, more if they pick it for you.
    Ana

I just paid somewhere around $2.10/pound this past weekend at Durocher Farm in Litchfield NH. They had prices by the pound, quart, and something else, I forget, probably pint or something. I picked 3.5 pounds (all I could stand since it was during the heat wave) and it was around $7.40. They have raspberries too in a couple of weeks and again in the fall. Open everyday 7-2 for blueberries.

My wife paid $3/lb at our local farmers market.

For local Michigan blueberries.

Sorry! For some reason I read "berries" not blueberries. They don't grow around here; we get strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and olallieberries, but I think that's it. Still lots of places to pick wild blackberries, so that's the cheapest u-pick imaginable, especially if you walk to the park!

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Sorry! For some reason I read "berries" not blueberries. They don't grow around here; we get strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and olallieberries, but I think that's it. Still lots of places to pick wild blackberries, so that's the cheapest u-pick imaginable, especially if you walk to the park!
    I don't know where they are growing them either around here, but they been at the farmer's market. Next week I'm going to ask the farmers.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

There is a single vendor (every summer) who sells at Ferry Plaza and Marin Civic Center. Not organic and I seem to recall having noticed that they come from pretty far away. Oddly, I'm thinking south. Lemme know what you learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    There is a single vendor (every summer) who sells at Ferry Plaza and Marin Civic Center. Not organic and I seem to recall having noticed that they come from pretty far away. Oddly, I'm thinking south. Lemme know what you learn!
    I played around on the website and found a blueberry farmer from Fresno of all places (would have thought it would be way to hot to grow blueberries there). There are multiple vendors though...so I will ask next time I'm there

We paid $1.50 here, but there are other places that are higher.

OK, I don't get it: I would have thought that places along the California coast/West Marin would have climates somewhat similar to Maine, and blueberries would grow here - but obviously not. So where does Texas fit into the climate landscape?

I googled Growing Blueberries in Northern California and got a bunch of hits on how to do it...

Here is one from Sloat Garden Nurseries

I think we get different varieties and they produce earlier. Our crop is gone by the time they get them up north. A good season runs end of May/first of June to July 4th or close to it. Last year was terrible because we had wet, late cold, storms while the blooms and fruit were setting and then very hot and dry when the berries were trying to produce. So maybe we have a less certain crop too.

I picked in NJ Fourth of July weekend-the prices at the farms I checked ranged from 1.25-1.75/lb with organic a bit more...the place I actually went though-they were FREE! THey had a frost hit in mid-May and put in an insurance claim since they lost a bit over 50% of their usual crop...so they were not allowed to sell the remaining berries....the pickin' was a bit more difficult perhaps then some places might have been but I picked PLENTY in the time I was there...have 9 half pints of jam done and then some:-).

Sheila in MD

Our blueberry farms charge by the gallon - $7 - $10/gallon bag.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I paid $2.50/pound this morning. I picked just over 8 pounds.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service