Community Message Boards

Thread: Corn and tomato salad - with raw corn!

Corn and tomato salad - with raw corn!

I got a lot of skeptical looks when I served this corn salad, because everyone thought you need to cook the corn. Not so! If your corn is fresh and tender, it's best uncooked in a salad like this.

All I did was throw together corn from 3 ears, a cup of chopped tomatoes (not supermarket type - from the ground or the farmer's market!), half a cup of red onion, a tablespoon each of olive oil and lemon juice.

Took me just a couple minutes, and it was great. I made believers out of all of them!
    Heart healthy recipes with attitude!
    www.whatwouldcathyeat.com

This is my summer of corn! I have been absolutely loving all the fresh corn at our local market and have made a salad similar to this. I think one of the only differences was that I used lime. Love it!!
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

http://livlifetoo.blogspot.com/ Visit Kim's food blog!

Thanks for the great idea, cathy! I've been thinking about what (fresh and light) side to bring to a Labor Day barbecue, and maybe this is the way to go
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

What a cool and refreshing idea. This will be on my Labor Day Menu too.

I make something along the same lines and I have been eating it all summer, so far I haven't got tired of it.

I use fresh corn (2-4 ears), 2 small fresh zucchini (diced), 1 large fresh red pepper (diced), bit of olive oil, bit of fresh lime juice, salt and pepper.

I will have to try the corn/tomatoe version.

This one I have made a few times

Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!
    Michael Smith

I've been making a similar one, but with quinoa added. My recipe calls for some cumin and also some finely chopped pickled jalapeno. I think one of the secrets for a recipe like this is to use really fresh corn. The guy I buy corn from at our Farmers Market said this coming weekend will be the last for fresh corn for us for the year. I'll need to make another batch of this salad while I still can.

I know, mundy, I just got an email asking what I'm bringing to the BBQ next Monday and was thinking I should buy the corn at the Sunday farmers' market rather than Saturday. Yes, I am a little paranoid . But I bought fresh, local corn at WF last Sunday and nibbled a few raw kernels and it was oddly bland. The salad won't work if the corn isn't super fresh and flavorful!

yum

Mmmm, this recipe sounds perfect and refreshing on hot summer days. i will be making the salad for sure

raw corn when it's just been picked is wonderful. I've been using raw corn in all sorts of things this summer like gazpacho.

-Susan who live amongst corn fields.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

This is one of the two salads I brought to a BBQ today and both looked beautiful and went quickly. I used white corn and the tiniest little tomatoes (red, orange, and yellow) I've ever seen. No onion but loads of minced chives and chiffonade of basil, with a big basil top in the middle for garnish. I also used lime in place of lemon. Nothing like the simple flavors of summer - they can stand on their own
    Thanks for the suggestion.