Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO Apple Pie Recipe - Make, Freeze and Bake

ISO Apple Pie Recipe - Make, Freeze and Bake

Anyone have a tried and true recipe or method for making apple pies to stick into the freezer? I just got some beautiful granny smiths from the local orchards and would like to tuck a couple of pies in the freezer to bake off during the holiday season.

TIA
    Bonnie

And if it is do-able, I think I'd prefer fresh frozen rather than a pre-cooked filling.

No recipe, but my mom and I used to put the pies together, wrap, freeze, and bake at a later date.

I agree with vbak. I freeze unbaked pies all the time. It is a joy to pull out one of those beauties and surprise your family or guests with a warm pie for dessert or a snack.

My go to person with baking questions is Rose Levy Beranbaum and she says when you freeze unbaked pies, add about 20 minutes to the baking time. This of course depends on how deep the filling is. And that freezing is actually an advantage because the bottom crust starts baking before the filling thaws giving it a chance to get crisp and brown.
    Beware of the dog and I wouldn't trust the cat either ~ on a sign somewhere

Thanks ya'll. Since I posted, I've been doing a lot of looking around to see if I could find information on the web somewhere. The general consensus was that you could freeze either an unabaked or a baked pie, but that freezing and unbaked one was preferable. Mostly because the crust and pie were frozen, the crust would be crisper and flakier because it would cook before the filling thawed out and started to cook.

I found several places that said something along these lines:
    "Prepare the apple pie filling using your usual recipe , then stir 1 tbsp. of flour or 1/2 tbsp. of corn starch into
    the filling. The juice will be thicker and will freeze better".
    Do either of you do that?

Also, I found differing opinions on freezing in pyrex or aluminum pans. Some said you shouldn't put frozen pies in a pyrex pan directly into a hot oven as it might shatter. Seems to make sense. I think Rosy Beranbaum suggested lining the pie plate with plastic wrap and removing the pie once frozen then dropping it into the pie plate before cooking.

How do you freeze your pies? Do you thaw them first or go directly to the oven (this would be my preference)? And, while I'm at it. Any recipe you love that works particularly well for freezing?

Thanks for your help. Not having done this before, I have lots of questions.

Bonnie

My mom and I would stir in flour. We baked straight from the freezer. I have corning ware pie pans, so maybe we used that plus aluminum pans.

My apple pie recipe filling has flour as one of the ingredients and I have never adjusted the amount when my plan is to freeze the pie. I haven’t noticed anything negative as a result.

I use Pyrex pans, wrap up the pie well to freeze and place directly in the oven from the freezer. I like Pyrex because they are known for going from freezer to oven. I have never experienced any shattering of the glass and I have been doing this for years.

Good luck with your pies.

Okay, Vinca, sing along with me...."From the freezer, to the oven, to the table......"

Your comment totally brought back THAT jingle!

Would you be willing to share your recipes? I'm not tied to any one in particular, and if yours have flour in them, they might just be what I need.

Thanks!
    Bonnie

There’s a jingle? I had no idea. LOL
    I will be happy to share the recipe. It is an old recipe that I have made a few changes. Not able to look for it tonight. How soon do you need it?

Not sure if you are looking for recipes as well but in case you are thought I would repost my hands down FAVORITE apple pie recipe!

I did a search and found my previous post and am just reposting it below.

Sheila in MD

This recipe is a very long time family tradition at Thanksgiving....the minor "tinkering" we have done on the recipe is to change the apple type, prebake the crust a bit, skip the butter in the filling, heap the cinnamon and flour a bit and occasionally toss in a handful of fresh cranberries as well... The original recipe (yes, with that title) came from a Women's Day or Family Circle magazine UMPTEEN years ago....sorry that I can't be more specific than that. The pie gets RAVE reviews anywhere it goes. The topping is not quite like a traditional crumb one...it more bakes into an almost kind of crust...hard to explain-not at all like a crisp topping.

Sheila in MD

Mom's Apple Pie to Beat All Mom's Apple Pies

One unbaked piecrust (your choice-homemade...Pillsbury refrigerated)
    1 egg white, lightly beaten

Filling
    6 Large Apples (see note below), peeled and sliced
    1/3 cup white sugar
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    3 T Flour
    1 teas cinnamon
    2 T butter

Topping
    1/2 cup butter (cold)
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 cup lightly spooned flour
    1 t cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400. Line a deep dish pie plate with the crust. Brush the crust with egg white. ***** in a few places with a fork. Place in oven and bake for 5 minutes or so (just trying to give it a head start) Place filling sugars, flour and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix well. Add apples and mix well. Allow to sit while preparing topping.

In a food processor, combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Pulse until mixed. Add buttter, cut into chunks and pulse until coarse crumbs form (the topping will hold together if a bit is pinched in your fingers).

Mound apples into prepared pan (they will mound high-don't worry-they cook down!). If using, dot with pieces of the butter listed in filling. Cover apples entirely with crumb mixture, pressing onto apples (no loose crumbs). Use all of the crumbs.

Place in bottom third of oven and bake 30 minutes or until crust and topping are nicely browned. I prefer using a pyrex pie plate as I can see if the bottom of the crust is brown. If crust edge is browning too quickly cover with crust shield or aluminum foil (just the edge!). Serve with whipped cream or ice cream!

Apple Note: Original recipe called for Rome apples but I find them a bit mealy so I prefer to use a mix...whatever looks good...braeburn, stayman, granny smith, usually a rome or two...etc. Pretty much your favorite pie apple or if an apple pie newbie, google for suggestions on good pie apples!

Crust Note: (this one is new since my last post)-if using a refrigerated crust like Pillsbury-put it on a floured board or cloth and roll out a bit so that it will fit a deep dish pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinca View Post
    There’s a jingle? I had no idea. LOL
    I will be happy to share the recipe. It is an old recipe that I have made a few changes. Not able to look for it tonight. How soon do you need it?
    I looked to see if I couldn't find an MP3 of the jingle. Couldn't find one, but what I did find out is that it was a Corningware jingle. I also found some articles where folks had problems with their Corningware/Pyrex exploding. Seems as if the older, "vintage" ones were made out of different materials. They're safe, but the more recently made ones are not.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I don't know if you're on-line today, but I actually have the day off and was going to try to put up a couple of pies today, so if that recipe is handy it'd be great to have it.

Bonnie

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila in MD View Post
    Not sure if you are looking for recipes as well but in case you are thought I would repost my hands down FAVORITE apple pie recipe!
    This looks like some of the Dutch Apple Pie recipes I've seen floating around out there which folks froze successfully. Thanks so much. I'll definitely give this one a try. Mmmmmmm.

Bonnie

This looks like some of the Dutch Apple Pie recipes I've seen floating around out there which folks froze successfully. Thanks so much. I'll definitely give this one a try. Mmmmmmm.
    Bonnie
    This does freeze quite well but I don't think it tastes like dutch apple pies at all..but that might just be me:-). The topping on this does not stay crumbly-when you out it on, you should pat it all over and it sort of forms a crust...not like a regular pie crust but not like a crumb topping either...hard to explain!

Sheila in MD

So....I had the day off yesterday and used it to make crusts and get pies in the freezer. I decided to freeze a pie in the crust ready to pop in the freezer and then I froze just the filling. The filling I did like my peach pies, where I lined a pie plate with no-stick foil and put the filling in. It should be ready to drop into a pie crust when I'm ready. I'm interested to see how they compare.

Sorry I wasn't able to post my recipes this week Bonnie. Thank you Sheila for stepping in.

My pie recipe filling is very much like Sheila's. My apple of choice is Granny Smith apples, with a double crust (not sure of the Grannies availability throughout the county though).

Hope your pies are a success!

Below is my pie crust recipe which is a Martha Steward recipe. For years I used my grandmother's recipe that was a Crisco recipe. I like m Martha's recipe better (sorry grandma) because I think it has more flavor. I have tried many recipes some using all butter or all shortning. The results ranged from too greasy or with no flavor.

I like this recipe because IMHO it has nice flavor and is flaky yet tender.

Perfect Pie Crust
    This recipe for perfect pie crust is from "Entertaining," by Martha Stewart.

Ingredients

Makes 1 double-crust for a 9-inch pie.
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
    3 tablespoons margarine or chilled vegetable shortening (I always use shortening)
    1/4 cup ice water

Directions
    Hand Method: In a large bowl, sift the flour and salt. Cut the chilled butter and margarine into 1-tablespoon bits and add to the flour. With a pastry cutter, work flour and shortening together until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the ice water little by little pressing the pastry together into a ball. Wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.

It is very important to work the pastry as little as possible. Don't over handle. A secret to light, flaky pastry is to keep the mixture cool, add as little water as possible, and mix only as much as necessary.

Food Processor Method: Put flour and salt in bowl of machine. Cut butter and margarine into flour. Process a few seconds until mixture resembles coarse meal. Drop by drop add the water, processing very briefly. The whole process would take 20 to 30 seconds. Wrap and chill the pastry for at least 1 hour.

If pastry has been chilled for a long time, let it sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before rolling.

Lightly flour a pastry board, marble counter, or kitchen counter. Divide the pastry in half. Pat each piece of pastry into a flat round. Lightly flour the rolling pin. Roll pastry in one direction only, turning pastry continually to prevent it from sticking to the surface.

Using pie plate as a guide, measure rolled-out pastry -- it should be slightly larger than the pie plate and 1-8-inch thick. Fold rolled pastry circle in half so you can lift it more easily. Unfold, gently fitting the pastry into the pie plate, allowing pastry to hang evenly over the edge. Do not trim the pastry yet.

Fill the pie with filling. Then roll out the second crust in the same manner as for the bottom. Fold circle in half and with a sharp, pointed knife cut little vents in a decorative pattern. Place folded pastry on one half the pie. Unfold, pressing top and bottom pastry together. Trim edges with scissors, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Fold bottom pastry overhang over top and press firmly to seal. Crimp rim, using fingers or the tines of a fork.

Thanks Vinca. I've made one of Martha's crusts before but I think it was an all butter crust. My go-to crust now is the Cooks Illustrated Foolproof Pie Crust with vodka.

Since all I had were Granny Smiths, I kept looking and finally ended up trying this Granny Smith Apple Pie from Southern Living.

I'll let you know how my grand experiment turns out once I pull one out to bake.

Thanks everyone.

Bonnie

Bonnie, thank you for sharing your recipes.

I have wanted to try that pie crust recipe since I saw them make it on PBS. I remember when I saw them make the dough it was very wet. Much wetter that my usual recipe. They even commented on how wet it was and said not to worry. I don’t make pies too much anymore so don’t get a chance to experiment as much as I would like.

The apple pie recipe you used looks really good! I could go for a piece right now.

Please report back to let us know how your experiment went.

The pie crust is very easy to work with and easy to patch if necessary. (I had to patch on the apple pie I put in the crust. I forgot how "pokey" raw apples are.)

One thing I've found about this crust is that even after a few days the bottom crust of the pie seems to still hold together and not get soggy and fall apart like some bottom crusts tend to do especially with a moist fruit pie.

A piece of apple pie DOES sound good right now. I probably should try one of the pies before the holidays. Just to make sure it is up to snuff.

I 'll let you know how they both turn out.