Community Message Boards

Thread: How long are dried beans good?

How long are dried beans good?

I found a package in the back of my cupboard, I am sure it has been there about a year.

It is a bean mix, with instructions on making bean soup, containing: pintos, Michigan navy beans, red kidneys, lentils garbanzos, black turtle beans, green split peas, yellow split peas and black-eyed peas.

Too old??
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I'm sure the beans are fine but is there any seasoning packet with them? I'd be more concerned about that.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Not at all too old. I've cooked years old beans and they come out fine. If the dry beans have been frozen, thawed, frozen etc (outdoor pantry) they might or might not work. If the beans were in the back side of a cabinet or other dark dry area with mellow temperatures they should be good to go. A lot depends on how they have been stored. One test to see if they are still viable is to soak them as if you were soaking beans for sprouts. If they sprout, the beans are still good. However, if spices came with the beans they might be past it. If the spices look good (no mold, etc.) they should stil be ok but would be less potent than fresh dried.
    Anne

Thanks! No, there are no spices/pack w/ it, just instructions on cooking. They got shoved to the back of a cupboard, but it was on an inside wall so I'd think that the temperature would be fairly constant.

I will give them a try. We got this mix at Christmas last year, my mom buys this from a group who sells this mix as a fundraiser. When we got a new bag this year, I had this moment of "wait a minute..." where I remembered getting this last year but I didn't think we'd ever used it.

Then, I was just digging for something earlier and found them today.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

they may take a couple of hours longer to cook, though-- just to warn ya.

Whoever knows how long most beans have been packaged/stored before purchase? A year may be nothing. What I always wonder about with bean or pasta mixes is what happens to the smaller ones by the time the larger ones are cooked through?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Whoever knows how long most beans have been packaged/stored before purchase? A year may be nothing. What I always wonder about with bean or pasta mixes is what happens to the smaller ones by the time the larger ones are cooked through?
    that is the number one reason i never buy those mixes!