Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! need gluten free no sugar, no dairy on the go recipies

Help! need gluten free no sugar, no dairy on the go recipies

Gd who just moved in with us was diagnosed hypoglycemic, for now the Dr wants her off diary and sugar too and the diet needs to be high protien. She needs to eat several small meals a day. This is going to be difficult for her startng college next week.

I am looking for recipies for snack bars that are high in protein and nutritious. Any othermake ahead recipies to share that will travel in a backback.

TIA

Laurie

I'm sorry I can't help with specific recipes, but if you look for recipes for South Beach diet, you would likely find ones that are at least gluten free and sugar free (a lot may have dairy though).

Also, you may want to take a look at Living Without magazine. They have a lot of recipes that are for all sorts of food allergies and offer subsitutions in the back of every issue.

Good luck!

Why off dairy?

I'm hypoglycemic - just look up a diabetic diet. Fairly simple. It takes some getting used to but soon it will be second nature. Eat every couple of hours when hungry. Avoid processed/white carbs.

For on the go? Some of my go to snacks:

Natural nut butters on whole grain bread and an apple.
    I find zone bars and luna bars to be ok.
    String cheese travels well. Pair it with a banana.
    Cut up veggies & hummus
    Edamame can be cooked and eaten cold.
    Greek yogurt w/fruit mixed in (the flavored yogurts tend to have added sugar, mix in your own fruit)

ETA: unless she has a gluten intolerance, being hypoglycemic alone shouldn't mean she can't have gluten.

ChrisieMarie, I believe they are doing an illimation diet for a month. I need to verify that, Thats why no dairy gluten or grains.

Hummus is a great idea, she loves that and the edamame. sounds good,\.

Angela, thanks for the link to that magazine, sone they have some helpful recipies

Laurie

If you haven't already discovered it, get from your library or bookstore Special Diets for Special Kids by Lisa Lewis. It is for people who have their kids on gluten free and casein free diets and many of the recipes also avoid processed sugar as well. Good luck.

I recently found this recipe during my searches for gluten free snacks. I haven't made them yet but hope to this week minus the white chocolate chips. You can use Splenda or Stevia in place of the sugars. Splenda measure for measure and the Stevia you would have to check the label (some brands are measure for measure).
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Sneezles thank for that link, I will give thosse a try. Do you think I could leave out the banana?

tried this recipe over last week-end, it wasn't bad

http://www.elanaspantry.com/power-bars/

I found a gluten free rustic rosemary olive bread recipe I tried and failed miserably at it and threw it out, the dough was so wet, no matter how much flour I added it did not help. I did forget to put the salt in it so that may have had something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurielee View Post

I found a gluten free rustic rosemary olive bread recipe I tried and failed miserably at it and threw it out, the dough was so wet, no matter how much flour I added it did not help. I did forget to put the salt in it so that may have had something to do with it.

Gluten-free dough is very, very wet and the salt wouldn't have mattered...it's mainly for taste. I used to make salt-free baguettes all the time. Gluten-free dough only has one rise (for the most part). You make it in a stand mixer, place the wet dough in a well oiled pan, cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise about an hour.

You should also use active dry yeast rather than the instant or rapid or bread machine. 2% or fat-free milk is better because whole milk is too heavy.

I hope you try the recipe again. If it's located online could you give me a link?

As for the bananas, you could probably leave them out. I have all the stuff now and hope to get them made this weekend but I intend to use the banana...got a couple dieing to be used in something!

Sneezles, here is the link to the bread. I like the step by step pictures, my dough looked nothing like that. LOL it did stick to my hands like a bad ex! I wqnder if if I measured one of flours wrong. I am going to give it another try.

http://userealbutter.com/2010/03/05/...-bread-recipe/

Laurie

You definitely need to wet your hands when working with g/f dough!

Thanks for the link, the bread looks wonderful!

So I made the recipe I linked to above and I'm not quite sure about them...

I used pumpkin instead of applesauce, KA's black cocoa powder, omitted the salt, and forgot the water (and I can't imagine that really being necessary). The batter was just like a cake batter without the water. I did double the recipe since I wanted to bake in in a half sheet pan which wouldn't have worked with the water anyway.

They've been cooling for about an hour and they are very spongy, very chocolate-y and I can notice the coconut though not exactly taste it.

I ground unsweetened coconut in the FP like I did the g/f oats. That's how you get oat flour so I figured why not...

I did use the brown sugar Splenda for baking but I'm sure just Splenda would work fine. As for the globs of peanut butter they just left craters when you spread it out after removing from the oven. So I would mix it with the liquids rather than topping the batter but then mine obviously not right to start with.

So I obviously did something wrong but for the life of me I don't know what...I'll let you know when I try one tomorrow. I was hoping DS#2 would try one but he found out there's coconut in them...

I often carry a bag with a mix of almonds, dried cranberries and a few chocolate chips. I find nuts to be a good protein source when I need to carry something with me to eat when gluten free foods are not available.

Sneezles - I made that recipe too - used coconut milk instead of water (thought it was needed.) Didn't have oat flour so I used whole oats - and just stirred them in. I agree w/ the peanut butter - I had mixed it in - but then added some on top and thought it looked gross.

I also left out the sugar as we are trying to avoid non fruit sugar - and added a handful of ground raisins. I found the recipe dense - and OK - not great. My DH on the other hand - loved it - and has asked it to put in regular rotation.

Janet,
    It's good to hear that someone else has made this. I'm guessing since I doubled the recipe that the 12 eggs gave enough liquid.

Good to know you can leave the sugar out! I was thinking next time of agave in place of the sugar.

They taste much better completely cooled and my DH said they were very good, very close to sponge cake.

I've been following this blog for months, Carolyn is diabetic and makes lots of low sugar/gluten free dishes. I'm not sure about dairy free, but you can check it out!

http://dreamaboutfood.blogspot.com/
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

http://livlifetoo.blogspot.com/ Visit Kim's food blog!

I have been gluten free and dairy free since August. A great on the go snack for me are Think Thin bars. There are a lot of those snack bars out there. Think Thin, Kind, and Larabars are gluten free/dairy free.

Just for clarification.....Does the dr. want her off of all sugar, or just refined sugar? Meaning can she eat fruit?

One of my favorite snacks is rice cakes with a little peanut butter, and a banana sliced on top.

Lorena

AZlorena, she is suppose to be off all sugar in even fruit for now except for an apple and banana a day. I checked out the bars at the store and at $3 a pop that is not going to happen. She is always hungry I am trying to find something that will keep her satisfied and fill her up for a few hours.

Sneezles, my natural store carries fresh baked gluten free bread! I was looking lost staring at teh frozen break section and a nice man offered to help and said we make our own, He handed me the loaf and it was still warm. and for $5 the loaves are huge, compared the the small udis ones you get. Both of us thought the bread was delicous. SO since I am not a baker, I think I will give up trying to make bread except I am going to tackle that rosemary bread again today.

Laurie

Wow...$3 a bar. I don't pay near that much.....and of course, I only buy like 2 or three at a time, and that lasts me for a couple of weeks, because they really are only for those crazy days, when it is the easiest things to grab.

Udi's GF bread just sucks. We have a Gluten Free Bakery nearby. I have started buying their bread machine mixes and making them myself. $5 a loaf is a great price for GF bread. When I buy a premade loaf at the GF bakery, I pay over $8.

Lorena

Lara bars run about $1.20 at Target.

W/ GF bread - just be sure to freeze the leftovers. It goes bad SO quickly. It is sad.

GF bread tastes better after you kind of forget what regular bread tastes like. :-)

I use Better Batter flour and do homemade for breads, etc. for my 3 Celiacs. I tastes good enough that my only nonceliac son and I will even eat it. They have a super easy every day roll recipe that works well.

So I made my first loaf of bread machine g/f bread and it was pretty good! Even DH enjoyed it with our g/f baked "ziti" (was really g/f rotini). It had Parmesan both in and on top!

JanetB....Larabars are a fruit base, so I am not sure that would work for her.

BTW....We make homemade Larabar "type" snack bars here. Hubby likes them better than the store bought.

Lorena

So, it appears my coconut flour was sitting on the front porch since Friday! I could have made them the right way all along. The things are quite tasty though as they are. I cut them up and froze them.

Next time I'll make them per the recipe and see how much liquid I'll need.

So for now I'm calling my creation Chocolate Peanut butter Coconut Bars!

Laurie,
    While reading one of the G-F bread books it seems if you make the sandwich a panini it holds up better, just an FYI.