Community Message Boards

Thread: dark vs. light brown sugar

dark vs. light brown sugar

I see recipes call for different types of brown sugar. In what ways does the color of brown sugar matter? Will it effect taste or calorie content?

Dark brown sugar has a stronger molasses flavor, which I personally don't like, so I always use light brown sugar no matter what the recipe calls for.

And I personally prefer the darker. But most recipes you can adjust to one or the other depending on your tastes.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I tend to use the dark but only about half the quantity called for in most recipes - I guess that lightens the molasses flavor a bit.
    Anne

I believe they have the same calories per teaspoon. I also almost always use light brown sugar. Easier than keeping 2 kinds in the house and I prefer it over the dark molasses flavor. If you like molasses or making some type of baked good where you want that extra flavor, use the dark.

I agree - it is a pain keeping two jars of brown sugar in the back of my fridge. I've also had trouble finding dark brown sugar at the grocery store. I think I'll stick to just one color. Thanks!

Why do you keep any type of sugar in the refrigerator? Totally unnecessary.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Usually recipes that simply call for brown sugar mean light. Those that need the dark for flavor or extra moistness, will indicate to use dark. You can almost always sub one for the other based on your taste - but sometimes the outcome my vary due to that extra moistness in dark.

Learned the following from SmittenKitchen....

To make 1 cup light brown sugar, combine 1 cup white granulated sugar and 1 1/2 Tablespoons molasses.

To make 1 cup dark brown sugar, combine 1 cup white granulated sugar and 1/4 cup molasses.

She suggests you use a food processor, but that you can also just mash it together w/ a spoon.

Hope this helps someone.
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenllian View Post
    I agree - it is a pain keeping two jars of brown sugar in the back of my fridge.
    I must have been absent that day in cooking class. In all these years it has never once occurred to me to store sugar in the refrigerator.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

when I used to live in an apartment that had ant issues I always store my sugars in the fridge. Now that I don't have ant problems I store them at room temp.

refrigerators usually dry things so I would think that would cause your brown sugar to harden faster.

why would anyone need to put sugar in the frig?
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

I've always refigerated my brown sugar. With all your comments I just had to google it. There is contradictory information -some sites say yay others nay. My sugar always stays soft and flavorful so I'm going to keep on like I always have and store it in the fridge.

I only buy dark brown sugar, and I don't think I have ever refrigerated it. I can't tell the difference between the two in a finished product. When I bring brown sugar to DD's in Germany, I always bring dark brown. She bakes a lot, and she has never specified light or dark.

Dark brown sugar has a higher percentage of molasses than light brown sugar. I like molasses so I go for dark. I store my dark brown sugar in a Tupperware container with a soaked Brown Sugar Bear which keeps it from hardening. I don't think there is much of a calorie difference between light and dark brown sugar.