Community Message Boards

Thread: What kind of cooking oil have you been using?

What kind of cooking oil have you been using?

I try to use olive oil wherever possible, but for recipes that call for vegetable oil, I am less sure of what to use. I have been reading that most soybean oils are made with genetically modified soybeans, and I have heard that canola oil is not good either, though I can't remember why. I have noticed that Whole Foods doesn't carry soybean oil, but does carry canola oil. They do have an organic canola oil too. I'm trying to decide which is better. Genetically modified soybean oil? Or organic canola oil? Or maybe there are other options...

I use olive oil, LouAna peanut oil, and occasionally sesame seed oil.

http://www.louana.com/products.aspx?catID=38&pcatID=37

It depends what I am making and how it is prepped.
    I'm assuming you mean what type of "fat" we use as some is hard at room temps.

I have found a place that sells pure lard (not the hydrogenated stuff that poses as lard) and it is great for the few times I "fry" items. It stores easily in the fridge and is reasonable in price.

Extra Virgin olive oil is my go-to oil for dressings, quick sauteeing, etc.

Toasted sesame oil for Asian flavoring.

Walnut oil if I need to marinate in the fridge as this does not harden in the cold temps. I also use this for slaw and dressings.

Coconut oil for stir fries or ethnic dishes.

Butter for delicate sauces or to add to veggies that are simply microwaved/salted for more flavor.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

grapeseed for pan saute

I just use Kroger canola oil... sometimes I add a little butter for flavor.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I always use olive oil or canola oil. I do keep vegetable oil on hand for the rare times I am baking a quick bread or something. I sometimes will use peanut oil or sesame oil for a stir-fry or something, but I don't use it often enough to keep on hand.

I use extra virgin oo, canola oil, and sesame oil. I also have lard which I use in pie crust.

Typically, olive oil. When I need a neutral oil it's always grape seed. (But yes, WF does have a house brand of organic canola, which what I used to use.)
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Great Question bemm123! I hope someone can weigh in on this question!

I'm so frustrated by what to use and what not to use. I use EVOO for most everything and they say not to use it when you are cooking at high temps-not sure about you, but anything I cook is usually at least at a medium to start (to cook onions to start soup or for turkey burgers etc...) I know it is good to use for dressings or low heat items. Canola oil is not good to use at all (not sure about organic though???)

As for baking this is where I'm having even more trouble. What to use??? I know coconut oil is touted to be the "oil to use", but I tried it in almond meal choc chip cookes and while they were edible we really just didn't love them (tasted like coconut) and I can't imagine sauteeing chicken in coconut oil (unless some sort of mediterranian stir-fry). I wish I didn't love food so much so I could just eat salads and call it good-haha.

If anyone can give advice on the why's and why nots and what to use for what, I would be so appreciative. My other issue is the sugars to use, but that is another thread for another time-haha.

Laugh when you can!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bemm123 View Post
    Genetically modified soybean oil? Or organic canola oil?
    Given the choice, I'd always go with the non-genetically modified oil. That being said, from what I've read, Canola oil isn't as healthy as everyone says. And there is an issue of cross-contamination happening more and more between GM and non-GM canola. I never use Canola. I'd go with coconut oil, olive oil or grapeseed oil.

I'm no authority, but I can say that a sauté is definitely not "high heat", so olive oil is def OK there. For high heat, I'm thinking deep-fry, shallow-fry, stir-fry - that's when you need a high smoke point. Peanut oil has a very high smoke point but I know that for my uses, grape seed is a good choice: it's got a high enough smoke point (similar to canola or soy) and has a neutral flavor so it's good for baking. I just paid $80 to have a wood bowl stripped, and had intended to season it with grape seed oil...and that's what the man who did the work ended up telling me to use. Two days later I was with a friend who bought a beautiful hand-crafted cutting board and we were told to use only grape seed oil on it.
    So for me it seems to cover a wide range of basic needs. As for sesame, coconut, etc. I consider those either specialty or finishing oils, so in a different category.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I use organic canola for baking and EVOO for cooking and salads, etc. I prefer a Greek olive oil for dipping bread. I just prefer the taste to Italian or Spanish olive oils. I am convinced that Americans get way too much of omega 6's and not enough omega 3's so I do not buy other vegetable oils and I avoid soybean oil even if it is organic. I use organic oils to avoid GMO ingredients like corn, soy and canola. For special recipes I have used walnut oil, too.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

I only use olive oil, no matter what the recipe calls for. And I mean I use it for everything. If the recipe calls for oil, its olive for me. I use the 'extra light in flavor' for baking. About a cup goes into my carrot cake...Yummy & oh so moist. For recipes that call for solid fat, I mostly use butter.

Quote Originally Posted by cakebaker View Post
    I only use olive oil, no matter what the recipe calls for. And I mean I use it for everything. If the recipe calls for oil, its olive for me. I use the 'extra light in flavor' for baking.
    I like this idea! I think I am going to try it. I'm going to look into grapeseed oil too.

Primarily olive oil and once in a while organic canola. I want to take a closer look at grape seed and coconut oils now. Over the past few months, there have been a number of articles extolling the benefits of coconut oil, so this is a good nudge to look into new cooking oils.

Seconding what cakebaker said about baking with olive oil. My daughter has baked some fabulous cake recipes that call for olive oil. She used what was on hand and they were scrumptious.

Mostly organic olive oil, sometimes organic canola, occasionally organic peanut oil, sesame oil, and coconut oil.
    Anne

I'm trying to find a good alternative to olive oil. Sure, I love olive oil, but sometimes I just want a more neutral flavor.

I have been using canola (Whole Foods) and was using grape seed, but found that it has a high Omega 6 level. Any other idea?
    Blogging Fun
    Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. -Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by cakebaker View Post
    I only use olive oil, no matter what the recipe calls for. And I mean I use it for everything.
    Me, too. I use "extra light olive oil" now, in place of canola and vegetable. The good extra-virgin olive oil I use for cooking when the flavor will be noticeable, and premium extra-virgin for salad dressings.

Give them a taste and look at the color when subbing for canola or vegetable oil. The extra light which I have is pale golden and has a very neutral taste, quite similar to canola or vegetable but a bit healthier.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

I use olive oil for everything, too -- even stir-frying in a wok, which is really high-heat. I usually have two or three different olive oils on hand, ranging from grassy to fruity to bland. (Boy, don't I sound like an expert!)

Cheers,
    Phoebe

For cooking, baking, and sauteeing I use almost exclusively olive oil (whatever organic one is on sale at my coop) and grapeseed.

I remember reading snippets here and there a couple years ago about canola oil being carcinogenic, so I switched to grapeseed. At this moment I can't find anything from what I would consider a valid source in a five-minute google search, but here are some links that others might find interesting (I am not endorsing or promoting any of these sites, since at least once clearly has a vested interest, just providing for information purposes...)

http://www.breathing.com/articles/canola-oil.htm
    http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=240
    http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_...ola_oil_really