Community Message Boards

Thread: substitute for mirin?

substitute for mirin?

i'm making the grilled mahi-mahi skewers with pineapple-mandarin sauce from the july/august 1999 issue, and the sauce calls for a tiny bit of mirin.

in case i can't find mirin at the supermarket, what would be a good substitute? we don't keep much alcohol in the house, but i do have some sherry and sake, although i'm not sure if either of those would be appropriate!

tia,
    marisa

Either could be used for the mirin but I would probably use the sake.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I use sake and a pinch of sugar instead of mirin and it seems to work just fine.

Ok, I got curious and checked www.foodsubs.com , and here is what they have to say:

mirin = sweet rice wine = sweet sake Pronunciation: MEE-reen Notes: This is a
    very sweet Japanese rice wine that's used to flavor rice and sauces. It's not usually consumed as a beverage. Aji mirin is salted, so adjust the recipe accordingly. Substitutes: 1 tablespoon dry sherry + 1/2 teaspoon sugar OR sherry OR heat two parts sake and one part sugar OR white wine + sugar to taste OR white wine

I'm glad to know I was using an "approved" substitution

thanks for all your help. i'll probably just use the sake with some sugar, since i have a huge bottle of that that i'll probably never use up!