Community Message Boards

Thread: Chrome, Brushed Nickel, Oil Rubbed Bronze , or...?

Chrome, Brushed Nickel, Oil Rubbed Bronze , or...?

I need to choose my faucets and lighting for the house. We basically got rid of brass in our current house, was told it was dated~
    How would you make your choice in finishes, my preference is Brushed Nickel but I am not ruling out something else. Do you mix finishes throughout the house, (keeping rooms that open to each other the same)?
    Any help would be appreciated! (I am going through Houzz site and it has been helpful. Going to Garden Web this morning but wanted to check in here first.)
    TIA
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

I like to keep everything similar. We're in the process of getting rid of all the brass so we have a mix right now.

Brushed nickel is my favorite. I like the bronze in some decorating schemes but I'm not sure I'd want it throughout my house unless I had a really cool cabin or lodge design.

Brushed Nickel is my favorite. I could mix finish, one thing in a powder room maybe that looked nice in that room, but similar in the rest of the house.
    Carlin

We still have the solid brass door hardware in the original part of the house, but chose to use ORB in the addition. Both bathrooms have chrome faucets ... kitchen faucet is stainless.

Solid brass & chrome finishes are timeless.

Antiqued brass and brushed brass are fashionable again. Shiny brass is the finish that is out and gets the bum rap.

Silver and nickel are a natural for faucets and bath hardware, and a mix of finishes creates a home that looks a bit more as if it has evolved over time.

It really all depends on what you like and what you want to live with.
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

Our new-to-us has brushed nickel throughout, and I was luckily able to find some towel bars, etc, to add where I wanted them! I probably would have gone with oil-rubbed-bronze, because I'm just not a silver person, but I like the brushed nickel just fine!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

First, I'll just say what most folks post on the garden web.

GET WHAT YOU LOVE! In 5 or 10 years, EVERYTHING will look dated. If you love it, it won't matter. If this is your forever house, you will continue to love your stuff. If you sell it in 10 years, anyone buying it will re-do it anyway. New trends always surface.

Also, people post that the antique finishes (ORB stuff) and other finishes can chip and not hold up and that the standard stainless or chrome (which happens to usually be cheaper) holds up for much, much longer.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Everything in our house doesn't match. I am partial to kitchen faucets in polished chrome, but I wouldn't want that everywhere. Our house ahs a number of antigue light fixtures that fit the house, but I wouldn't want to have everything in antique brass either. I think the easiest way to get a dated look is to have everything the same.

Great advise everyone.
    Thanks! Beth,
    I think the easiest way to get a dated look is to have everything the same.
    I never thought of it that way. I plan to mix it up a bit between the bathrooms. Not sure about the lighting in the different areas but will ask the consultant on Thursday. We saw a lot of oil rubbed bronze in NC at our development. Truly appreciate your input, it can get a little crazy.I had no trouble choosing the fixtures, just the finish, go figure. It probably will also depend upon what colors/materials we use in each room.
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

I read something that made a lot of sense to me... Keep the finishes the same for similar items. For example, do all door hardware the same, all cabinet hardware--in each room--in the same finish, all faucets the same, etc. That way the house looks like it you had a plan and it was meant to be layered with various finishes.

I didn't manage to do this exactly, but I'm close and I like the idea of it, especially cause I am one who does not like every finish to be the same throughout. Again, I'd suggest looking at the Houzz website which can be a wealth of inspiration. I swear I am in no way affiliated with it (I wish!)...

Mightyh I agree about Houzz, have spent hours there and seem to see so many white kitchens there~ This afternoon I am going to search other sites with the different colors/finishes recommended here to make a decision about the cabinets. One thing I hated about our current house was that everything was brass. I want to mix things up this time, room to room. We all have different ideas; and I love reading and seeing how others decorate their homes. Maybe a poll would have been better. But I appreciate everyone's input. As DH keeps saying, this is our last house, be sure about our choices, yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by SusanL View Post
    Mightyh I agree about Houzz, have spent hours there and seem to see so many white kitchens there~ This afternoon I am going to search other sites with the different colors/finishes recommended here to make a decision about the cabinets. One thing I hated about our current house was that everything was brass. I want to mix things up this time, room to room. We all have different ideas; and I love reading and seeing how others decorate their homes. Maybe a poll would have been better. But I appreciate everyone's input. As DH keeps saying, this is our last house, be sure about our choices, yikes!
    Even if it is your "last" house, you can always remodel!!!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

We have brushed nickel drawer pulls, etc, in the kitchen and oil-rubbed bronze in the master bath. DH would have been fine with brushed nickel in the bathroom too, but the ORB goes much better (IMHO) with the warm tones of the tile and granite.