Community Message Boards

Thread: I bought the Cuisinart Ice Cream maker

I bought the Cuisinart Ice Cream maker

And I think I have made an error in judgement! My hubby loves ice cream and today is his birthday, so the Cuisinart ICM seemed like a perfect match. However, the recipes that came with the machine all use 2 cups of heavy cream. I will be looking on the internet for more recipes, but I am wondering if ice cream made with less cream and less fat milk tastes good. Sorbets seem like they will be good.

Cooking Light has quite a few lighter ice cream recipes posted. The Blueberry Cheesecake ice cream recipe is very good.
    HERE

I also posted an avocado ice cream on this weeks CGOTW that's outstanding, and dairy-free. Good luck - and please let us know how the ice cream maker works out. I've been eyeballing it myself.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

I'll second the Blueberry Cheesecake (and I always use ff half & half as well)--all the recipes I've tried from that article have been good. Many recipes you can swap out ff h&h for part or all of the cream--you wind up with a slightly different texture of course, but still lovely. Our favorite sort of half-fat house vanilla orignally called for 2 cups of heavy cream and 1 cup of whole milk--I use 2 cups of ff h&h and 1 cup of heavy cream (DH finds the mouth feel too icy if I go all low fat). There have been a bunch of ice cream threads over the years with many t&t lower fat recipes--just dive in and try some!
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

I bought two last week, one for me, one for a shower present. As I was walking through Costco, a lady stopped me and told me that I'd LOVE it. Then she proceeded to tell me her favorite recipe: 2 cups crushed strawberries, 1 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup sugar. I was skeptical, but since I had those ingredients on hand, I tried it. It was DELICIOUS!

I am definitely going to try that strawberry recipe. Sounds delicious.

We have the Ben & Jerry's book. It has lower fat options, but we make mostly sorbets. My son started with the kiwi, was generous with the fruit and lemon juice and then used that as a model for making other flavors. Not sure if we used that book for recipes, but mango is wonderful and lemon is so refreshing (we added more lemon on that one too).

I made this one, and it was very good.

Raspberry Sorbet

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    4 cups unsweetened frozen raspberries, thawed
    1/2 cup water
    1 teaspoon lemon juice

Combine sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over low heat. Increase heat to high and boil 5 minutes. Chill thoroughly.

Place raspberries in container of blender or food processor and process until smooth. Press raspberry puree through a sieve; discard seeds.

Combine chilled sugar mixture, raspberry puree, 1/2 cup water, and lemon juice; stir well.

Pour mixture into freezer can of ice cream maker and freeze/process according to manufacturer's instructions.

6 servings

Protein 0.7, fat 0.4; carbohydrate 25.9, cholesterol 0, iron 0.5, sodium 0, calcium 18.

I also have recipes for: chunky banana ice milk; amaretto-peach ice milk, cappuccino ice milk, easy buttermilk ice milk, caramel ice milk, chocolate ice milk, cinnamon ice milk, fresh ginger ice milk, honey-vanilla malt ice milk, tropical mango ice milk, pumpkin-maple ice milk, peanut ice milk, vanilla ice milk, strawberry ice milk, minted grape sorbet, cantalope sorbet, pink grapefruit sorbet, fresh pineapple sorbet, papaya sorbet, pear and white grape sorbet.
    My cookbook (of light desserts) also has some sherbert and frozen yogurt recipes.

I can type out a few if you'd like.

Thank you Barbara for the raspberry sorbet recipe. Raspberries have been so cheap lately. This one doesn't have too much sugar in it. Will be trying it for sure. K

Got a chance to look -- the lemon sorbet is not in the B&J book, so I will have to look further if you are interested in that one. The kiwi calls for

Combine and chill at least 1 hr (DS purees in blender):
    1/3 lb peeled and chopped kiwi (DS uses about 3)
    3/4 c sugar
    juice of 1 large or 2 med lemons

Add and stir to blend
    1/2 c melon liqueur (DS omits)
    2 T corn syrup
    2 c cold water

Combine and freeze in ice cream maker. 1 qt

Strawberry Sorbet

1/2 lb hulled and sliced strawberries
    3/4 cup sugar (or less to taste)
    Juice of 1 large or 2 med lemons
    1/4 corn syrup
    2 c cold water

Same process as kiwi recipe

Barbara, would you mind posting the ingredients for the pink grapefruit? I've bought some that I love and was planning on trying to make some at home just winging it.

I would love to try the lemon sorbet. The sorbets all sound delicious.

There are plenty of lower fat ice cream and sorbet recipes out there that are fabulous. The Key Lime Pie Ice Cream from CL is one of my very favorites. Quite a while back Jewel posted a Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip recipe which is also quite good. I had a family member who bought an ice cream maker just to make that recipe! To make it easy I will post those two plus one more I really like.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Ice Cream

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup sugar
    3 large eggs
    1 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
    1 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
    2 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

In a medium mixing bowl beat the sugar into the eggs until slightly thickened and pale yellow. Set aside. Bring the milk to a simmer in a medium saucepan over low heat. Slowly beat the hot milk into the eggs and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon or whisk until the custard thickens slightly. Do not let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble. Remove from the heat and beat in the peanut butter with a whisk. Pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large clean bowl. Allow to cool slightly, then whisk in the condensed milk, half & half and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight. Add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips when mixture is semi-frozen in ice cream maker.

Source:
    "CLBB - Jewel"

Key Lime Pie Ice Cream

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00

1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
    1/2 cup bottled Key lime juice (such as Nellie and Joe's)
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    1 Dash salt
    1 can fat-free sweetened condensed milk -- (14-ounce)
    6 graham crackers (1 1/2 cookie sheets) -- coarsely crushed, divided

Combine first 5 ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Pour mixture into freezer can of an ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Stir 1/3 cup graham crackers into ice cream. Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container, and cover and freeze for 1 hour or until firm. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon graham crackers. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.

Source:
    "Cooking Light, JULY 2004"

NOTES : This ice cream has all the flavors of classic Key lime pie--even the crust. We used bottled Key lime juice for convenience. You can also squeeze the juice from fresh Key limes if your supermarket carries them.

Lemon Coconut Sorbet

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

3 cans sweetened coconut cream at room temperature -- (15-ounce)
    3 cups water
    3 cups lemon juice
    1 Tb grated lemon rind

In a large bowl whisk the coconut cream until very smooth. Add the remaining ingredients. Put immediately into your ice cream machine and proceed according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Do not chill before freezing because the fat in the coconut cream hardens and forms little globules.

Source:
    "Frog Commissary Cookbook"
    Yield:
    "3 Quarts"

Serving Ideas : Garnish each serving with a lemon twist and a sprig of mint, or top with a splash of rum.

Turn it into a decadent summer drink by whizzing several scoops in a blender with a liberal dose of rum

NOTES : We've known some normally very proper people who have devoured three bowls of this sublime dessert at one sitting, even after a generous dinner. Very smooth, addictively sweet, yet refreshingly tart, it seems more like an ice cream in texture than a sorbet.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

I am sure the Peanut Butter one will be one of our favorites.
    For the first try tonight we are going with the full fat cream and milk recipe just to see how it is.

We *love* this one from CL (2001)

Cookies-and-Cream Ice Cream

1 (12.3-ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu, drained (I'm pretty sure that we use silken tofu)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup half-and-half
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
    10 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (such as Oreos), crushed
    8 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (such as Oreos (optional)

Combine first 5 ingredients in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. Place tofu mixture in a large bowl. Fold in whipped topping. Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Stir in crushed cookies during last 5 minutes of freezing. Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm. Garnish with a whole cookie, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 184(25% from fat); FAT 5.2g (sat 1.8g,mono 1.9g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 3.8g; CHOLESTEROL 6mg; CALCIUM 31mg; SODIUM 307mg; FIBER 0.4g; IRON 0.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 29.3g

Cooking Light, MAY 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    Barbara, would you mind posting the ingredients for the pink grapefruit? I've bought some that I love and was planning on trying to make some at home just winging it.
    Pink Grapefruit Sorbet

4 cups unsweetened pink grapefruit juice
    ½ cup sugar
    ¼ cup corn syrup

Combine all ingredients in freezer can of a 2-quart hand-turned or electric freezer; stir well. Freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Let ripen 1 hour, if desired.

10 servings (100 calories per ½ cup serving). Protein 0.3, fat 0.1, carbohydrate 24.8, cholesterol 0, iron 2.0, sodium 11, calcium 7.

Thanks, Barbara. I may be making that tomorrow!

I think this recipe from The Perfect Scoop is the one I based our lemon sorbet on

2 1/2 c water
    1 c sugar (on the tangy side - add 1/4 c more for sweeter version)
    2 lemons
    1 c freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 6 lemons)

Combine 1/2 c water and sugar in saucepan . Grate the zest of the 2 lemons directly into the pan. Heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove and add remaining water. Chill in fridge. Stir lemon juice into chilled syrup and freeze in ice cream maker.

Perfect Scoop and The Ultimate Ice Cream Book are both good collections of recipes, including a lot of sorbets, sherbets and other lighter desserts.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraL View Post
    Pink Grapefruit Sorbet

4 cups unsweetened pink grapefruit juice
    ½ cup sugar
    ¼ cup corn syrup

Combine all ingredients in freezer can of a 2-quart hand-turned or electric freezer; stir well. Freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Let ripen 1 hour, if desired.

10 servings (100 calories per ½ cup serving). Protein 0.3, fat 0.1, carbohydrate 24.8, cholesterol 0, iron 2.0, sodium 11, calcium 7.
    Please note that, with the Cuisinart, you need to start the Cuisinart and pour the already-mixed ingredients in while the mixing arm is moving (not mix in the freezer bowl). Liquid in the freezer bowl immediately starts to freeze to the bowl if the mixing arm isn't moving.

Thanks. I had only looked at the ingredient list and proportions -- I think I would have done that anyway, but never hurts to clarify. Someone else using the recipe and the freezer bowl for the first time might not think about that until it was too late.

I'm looking forward to a frozen citrus fest.

My favorite ice milk recipe is 4 c. skim milk, 1 c. sugar (but I only use 1/2 c. sugar) a good "plop" of vanilla bean paste....and then whatever add-ins you want. Plain vanilla is great, but I've added mashed bananas with lemon zest, lemon juice and finely chopped grated ginger, and the last night I added cocoa powder and orange extract. Have fun!
    OH! I also discovered you can make frozen drinks in a flash - Whisky Sour Slushees and Frozen Margaritas are some of our faves!
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

Vanilla bean was the first kind we made. It actually was too rich - too much butterfat. Now there is a batch of raspberry sorbet 'seasoning' in the freezer. The next one will be lemon sorbet. The juice is chilling in the fridge. This is turning out to be fun! (Of course I will have to work out much harder but I guess its worth it.)

What's "vanilla bean paste"? Where do you get it?

Vanilla bean paste is the "caviar" or seeds scraped from inside the bean typically mixed with other ingredients to give it a paste like consistency. I have seen some that add sugar or corn syrup and just looked up one online that has vanilla extract and xanthum gum added. It is used like vanilla extract, but unlike many extracts, it will give you the tiny flecks of vanilla from the seeds. It also may not have alcohol or as much alcohol and might not thin certain mixtures like icing where a few drops can matter. My vanilla extract has the seeds, so I have resisted buying paste so far.

Trader Joe's has it as well as King Arthur and lots of online sites.

Here's what's in my Cuisinart ice cream maker now...can't wait to taste it!!

Cantaloupe-Star Anise Sorbet

The New York Times Cookbook

2 very ripe cantaloupes, peeled, seeded and cut into large chunks
    12 star anise
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup light corn syrup

1. In a food processor, puree cantaloupe until smooth. This should yield at least 4 cups. In a large saucepan, combine 4 cups cantaloupe puree, star anise, sugar, corn syrup and 1 cup water. Place over medium-low heat and stir just until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let rest for at least 2 hours at room temperature.
    2. Strain through a fine sieve, pressing out as much juice as possible. Pour liquid into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.

YIELD about 1 1/2 quarts
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

There have been some great ice cream recipes on this board over the years....I tried to find them but I couldn't. I remember when I got my ice cream maker, I made many of them and they were great. I think Jewel was one person who had some great ice cream recipes....I'll see if I can find them. I could have printed some out. Enjoy!