Community Message Boards

Thread: BabyCakes Donut Maker!

BabyCakes Donut Maker!

I saw this today in Kohl's and immmediately fell in love with it! Do I need another appliance? Of course not! But I couldn't resist! I made the sour cream donuts today tossed with cinnamon sugar! YUM!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/101_0911.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/101_0912.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/101_0913.jpg

YUM!

Those look awesome!! I have never seen that appliance before but now I need, er, want one. Were you happy with the final product? I've been wanting to make the apple cider donuts posted on this BB but I don't have the proper pan yet and this might do the trick!

I am happy with the result. The donuts are incredibly tender, not a dense donut at all. I read that some people who have this appliance actually use cake mix batter? I tasted them both warm and cooled. The flavor comes out much more once they are completely cooled. The recipe book that comes with it includes recipes for Buttermilk Spice Donuts, Chocolate Donuts, Sour Cream (which I made) and Maple Apple Donuts! Also, recipes for a vanilla glaze, chocolate frosting & maple frosing! Not a necessary appliance, but definitely fun!

That thing is so cute, great purchase IMO! And they have a cupcake maker, in Carolina Blue! Great way to have a few baked goods w/o heating up the house in this scorching summer heat.

Leonard, I made these EW doughnuts way back, they were really good, if you need a T&T chocolate recipe. No adorable machine back then, just mini-bundt pans (wish those pans fit in the toaster oven). I keep meaning to order some "donut pans" from King Arthur....maybe by the cooler fall.....

Chocolate Doughnuts

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/ch...r/October 1996
    Satisfy your craving for chocolate doughnuts with this healthier version.

1 dozen doughnuts | Active Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
    Ingredients

* Doughnut Batter
    * 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
    * 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1 large egg
    * 1 large egg white
    * 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    * 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt, or buttermilk
    * 1/4 cup canola oil
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * Glaze
    * 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 2-3 teaspoons low-fat milk

Preparation

1. To make batter & bake doughnuts: Preheat oven to 400°F. Thoroughly coat the molds of 2 mini-Bundt pans with cooking spray. Sprinkle molds evenly with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, shaking out excess. (If you only have one pan, bake the recipe in 2 batches.)
    2. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk egg and egg white in another bowl until frothy. Add brown sugar and the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar; whisk until smooth. Add yogurt (or buttermilk), oil and vanilla and whisk until blended. Add the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula just until moistened.
    3. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter into each prepared mold, smoothing the surfaces with a small spoon. Bake until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Loosen edges and turn the doughnuts out onto a wire rack to cool. (If baking in 2 batches, cool the pan, clean it, then recoat it with cooking spray or oil and sugar.)
    4. To make glaze: Whisk confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough of the milk to make a smooth, thick glaze. When the doughnuts are completely cool, set them, fluted-side up, on a wire rack over wax paper. Spoon some glaze over each doughnut, letting it drip down the sides. (Alternatively, dip the doughnuts in glaze.) Let stand until glaze has set.

Nutrition

Per serving : 242 Calories; 7 g Fat; 0 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 18 mg Cholesterol; 46 g Carbohydrates; 4 g Protein; 1 g Fiber; 219 mg Sodium; 28 mg Potassium

3 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
    Tips & Notes

* Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 2 mini-Bundt pans
    I'm a Tar Heel born, I'm a Tar Heel bred.....

LALALALALAAL I'm not looking, I'm not looking!!!!!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I've done a search to see if anybody uses Babycakes Mini-Cupcake Maker (I bought one and a cookbook--175 Best Babycakes--but haven't used either. Been a year or so. Time I try it!) and instead found this 2011 thread with y'all talking about the DONUT MAKER. Now, I want that, too!! Oh yeah, thanks a bunch!

So, are you still using it and happy with it, Leonard? The recipes work good with it?

Have you (or anybody) tried any of the other BabyCakes machines? (Like this mini-cupcake one, for example?)

Thanks for any info. YUM! PS: Isn't that commercial with the little girl and the box of nuts (ringing a doorbell and tempting the occupant) CUTE!! I'd be SO into that box...swooosh! Forget the healthy stuff--gimme the donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
    I saw this today in Kohl's and immmediately fell in love with it! Do I need another appliance? Of course not! But I couldn't resist! I made the sour cream donuts today tossed with cinnamon sugar! YUM!

Like every other kitchen small appliance after awhile it got shoves to the back of the closet I do like the recipes that are in the booklet but now we are in a rental house so most of my fun kitchen appliances are in storage until our new house is built. I think the donut pan is a better choice. The donuts are full size and the texture from most people who blog about it seems great and many more recipes to choose from. Hope this helps!

re: Donut maker -- I read good reviews about the Babycake Donut Maker (makes 6 mini's) -- so I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond with my 20% off coupons, expecting to pay $19.95.
    Low and behold: they were marked DOWN TO $14.99... SO, of course: I bought TWO. One for our family Christmas gift/stealing exchange--lots of young families and several grandparents, too. I see people really having fun with them (reviews at Amazon.)

Bottom line after coupons: $11.99 each. Gee...what a cheap thrill. LOL Even my husband didn't raz me too much about bringing home another kitchen toy.

Anybody else playing with one of these? Or any of the other mini appliances that make pops, cupcakes, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by catbatty View Post
    ...Anybody else playing with one of these? Or any of the other mini appliances that make pops, cupcakes, etc.?
    LOL I just did the same and bought the mini donut maker...I bought the regular donut pans first, but when I saw this deal I couldn't resist...haven't used it yet but am just collecting mini donut recipes: Coconut Cream (barbarabakes.com), Maple Cinnamon (friendsforweightloss.com), Petite Pumpkin Spice (blueeyedbakers.com), Whole Wheat Baked Banana + Chocolate (topwithcinnamonblogspot.com), to name a few

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Oooh Gail, you are my kinda person! lol lol lol

Late last night, all swept up in a donut dreaming frenzy, I bought another donut maker (at Amazon where it was far less money than at other places). ! This time, I bought the Sunbeam. They aren't mini's, but they aren't full-sized either. It will arrive here Tues. I'm planning on trying BOTH the BabyCakes and the Sunbeam. Yeah, call me crazy, but all the rave reviews got to me. People seem to really like both of them. I can't wait to make some good ones and share with friends. They will be so surprised!!